***Very OT*** CHRISTMAS ***OT***

Old December 17th 05, 12:40 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Default Our own Elf of Peace

This is really intersting: "Wimoweh" was incorrectly assumed years ago
to be a traditional song, but the composer, Solomon Linda, was
eventually identified. The family of the composer recently won a suit
for payment of royalties. Disney had used it in "The Lion King" and now
has to pay royalties.

http://www.nydailynews.com/city_life...p-267542c.html

Sue

Brenda Lewis wrote:
"Owimoweh" is the spelling used in "A Raisin in the Sun". Yes, I
remember that from HS sophomore English class in '83-'84.

Lucille wrote:

Okay everybody sing: In the Jungle, the quiet jungle the lion sleeps
tonight

Eh--Weemoweh, weemoweh,
weemoweh, weemoweh

Before anyone corrects the spelling I'm guilty. I have no idea how to
spell those words.

Susan Hartman/Dirty Linen
The Magazine of Folk and World Music
http://www.dirtylinen.com
Old December 17th 05, 01:27 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Default Christmas Lights was***Very OT*** CHRISTMAS ***OT***

When we were travelling late this summer we saw several "wind farms" in
Iowa. As we travelled through the UP of Michigaan, there was a huge
trailer in the parking lot (extra length etc) that had just ONE blade of
a powered wind thingy. In upstate New York, there was a community (
Malone I blieve) that was fighting such things. I would think that would
be a great way to harvest natural energy!

Gillian

incidentally the Rv has a small solar system to keep certain
low-electricity things running.

Cheryl Isaak wrote:
It, the cost of solar and (oil/gas/wood) and general lack of sun makes solar
not useful.

Now - wind! that would be useful

On 12/16/05 9:57 AM, in article , "Mirjam
Bruck-Cohen" wrote:

Cheryl
we too have some Cloudy days , when the solar heater doesn`t have
enough light ,,,,, but if you calculate all the MANY days that Nobody
In Israel has to heat ther shower water ,,, it REALLY adds up .
mirjam

Solar power isn't going to do me any good today!

Cheryl

Old December 17th 05, 02:41 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Default ***Very OT*** CHRISTMAS ***OT***

On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 22:22:25 GMT, "Pat P"
wrote:

I know the feeling! My daughter comes and gives a hand occasionally. We`re
currently doing battle with a Russian Vine that`s swallowing it. (Polygonum)
To REALLY destroy it would also destroy some rather bice flowering shrubs
for a few years - and they`re slow frowing to start with. I must have been
nuts to plant it all those years ago - they don`t call it "Mile-a-minute"
for nothing!

Pat P

The three vines which have gotten way out of line are the perennial
morning glory (takes over the entire property), Aristolochia gigantea,
and several passiflora vines which are also way out of control. The
problem with the first one are the stolens which take hold and dig
roots wherever it touches earth. That one is a nightmare. Everything
is so overgrown I am not too sure what survived the summer or not. I
haven't watered but twice and we had triple digit temps for over 79
days in a row and not a drop of rain. All year we've had a total of 23
inches of rain. How things are green is a magical event!

I am going to hire someone to come in and hack through it all and cut
back the ornamental grasses and pull the weeds, etc. I simply can't
handle it any more.

Old December 17th 05, 03:45 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Karen C - California wrote:

My thermostat is at 85 all summer (which means it doesn't go on unless
the outdoor temperature hits 100).

With our humidity, it would go on more often if set at 82, not just when
it hits 100 degrees outside. So we just turn off the central air for
most of the summer, and turn it on when we're in a particularly long,
hot siege - which includes "code red" bad air quality days. So we rarely
run it for more than a week. If it's hot but not terribly humid or
dangerous to breathe, we can adapt.

So many people turn it on in April and turn it off in October when it's
time to turn on the heat! I'd much rather open the windows!

Sue

Old December 17th 05, 11:24 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

"Gill Murray" wrote in message
When we were travelling late this summer we saw several "wind farms" in
Iowa. As we travelled through the UP of Michigaan, there was a huge
trailer in the parking lot (extra length etc) that had just ONE blade of a
powered wind thingy. In upstate New York, there was a community ( Malone I
blieve) that was fighting such things. I would think that would be a great
way to harvest natural energy!

Gillian

We are gradually getting more of the wind farms - we have one off the North
Suffolk coast and they are planning more. There are big battles afoot,
though, as fishermen say they`ll scare the fish away, people on land don`t
want them there as they say they`re noisy and an eyesore. Personally I
think there`s something rather beautiful about them. By far a better option
than what we`re doing at the moment. There`s quite a big windfarm on Bodmin
Moor, in Cornwall, and I don`t think the noise is objectionable - but of
course I don`t have to live with it! I`d rather live near a windfarm than
near those big electricity pylons, which seem to be peculiarly relative to
cancer and mental problems in people living nearby.

We have a nuclear powered station just a few miles up the coast from us, and
the fish seem to enjoy the warmer water in that area! You just can`t please
everyone.

I wonder they don`t go further into the possibilities of harnessing the
tides - we have some pretty fast flowing rivers (one of ours right here can
be lethal - it`s such a fast ebb and flow, and would be ideal!)

Pat P

Old December 17th 05, 11:32 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

"Susan Hartman" wrote in message
news
Karen C - California wrote:

My thermostat is at 85 all summer (which means it doesn't go on unless
the outdoor temperature hits 100).

With our humidity, it would go on more often if set at 82, not just when
it hits 100 degrees outside. So we just turn off the central air for most
of the summer, and turn it on when we're in a particularly long, hot
siege - which includes "code red" bad air quality days. So we rarely run
it for more than a week. If it's hot but not terribly humid or dangerous
to breathe, we can adapt.

So many people turn it on in April and turn it off in October when it's
time to turn on the heat! I'd much rather open the windows!

Sue

Me too - the UK`s not a great place for home A/C systems in any case. To be
honest, on the hottest days this year it was sheer heaven to go out in the
car which DOES have A/C. An extremely efficient one too! You can go from
boiling to freezing in a very short time! LOL! John never does things by
halves - you daren`t say you`re hot or cold in the car as he turns either
the heating or the A/C on full blast!!!

Pat P

Old December 17th 05, 03:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Default Heat and A/C, was Christmas Lights was***Very OT*** CHRISTMAS***OT***

Pat P wrote:
Me too - the UK`s not a great place for home A/C systems in any

case. To be
honest, on the hottest days this year it was sheer heaven to go out in the
car which DOES have A/C. An extremely efficient one too! You can go from
boiling to freezing in a very short time! LOL! John never does things by
halves - you daren`t say you`re hot or cold in the car as he turns either
the heating or the A/C on full blast!!!

I have found that the more I am in A/C, the more unbearable the heat is
when it can't be avoided. IOW, when we're *always* in A/C, I think our
bodies don't adapt to the change of seasons. When DH worked in an
air-conditioned office (with computers, which were always kept in frigid
rooms), he felt miserable in the not-so-awful heat when he came home.
The rest of us, who had been in moderate heat at home all day, were only
marginally uncomfortable.

Old December 18th 05, 07:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Tia Mary wrote:

a plea was sent out across America to NOT
decorate our homes that Christmas in order to conserve energy. A lot of
folks paid heed and did their best to conserve including my family. I
don't remember what amount of money was saved but the next Christmas the
public was told to go ahead and decorate because what had been saved the
previous year wasn't as impressive as the Federales had thought it would
be. Private residence decorations just don't add up to that much money
on a national level. CiaoMeow ^;;^

We had the same experience during the California Electricity Crisis a
few years ago. The people who ordinarily conserve, turned off all their
lights/appliances/heat and lit the house with candles. The people who
don't ordinarily conserve still had their houses lit up like Times Square.

I was doing what I was told to: turned off the TV, turned off the
lights, piled lots of blankets on the bed, picked up some crocheting
that I could do by candlelight. When I went to the kitchen for a glass
of water, I didn't have to turn on the kitchen light, because the
kitchen was brilliantly illuminated by the outdoor spotlights of both
the side and the back neighbor, both of whom had every light on inside
the house, too. So, while I was saving maybe 100 watts by turning off
the lights and TV, they were wasting 1000 watts. When I called the
electric company to discuss this, they admitted that they knew that the
worst offenders weren't going to change their ways, but there was
nothing they could do about it. Couldn't disconnect your electric after
you'd used a certain amount, couldn't put a governor on your line to
limit how much you could use at once. The only penalty these folks were
going to have was a big bill at the end of the month, and since money
isn't an object for either of them, that wsan't going to be a deterrent.

--
Karen C - California
www.CFSfacts.org where we give you the facts and dispel the myths

WIP: July birthstone, Flowers of Hawaii (Jeanette Crews) for ME!!!
LTR: Fireman's Prayer (#2), Amid Amish Life, Angel of Autumn,
Calif Sampler, Holiday Snowglobe

See my designs exclusively at www.TyWolfeDesigns.com

Editor/Proofreader http://hometown.aol.com/kmc528/KMC.html