Banned from the Garden!--very long

Old August 10th 03, 03:00 AM
Dawne Peterson

Lucretia Borgia wrote

I am curious perhaps how materialism and Buddhism can go hand in hand.

They would seem at odds to me.

I read some comments by the Dalai Lama some months ago (in his book on
ethics I think, but don't hold me to that) about the difficulty of adapting
a belief system from culture to culture. Not impossible, but difficult.
Since he believes it is possible to live an ethical life within the context
of other spiritual or philosophical viewpoints than his own, he suggests
that it might be easier for people to work within their own cultural
context. The other is not impossible, just sometimes hard.
It is easy to be non-materialistic in a culture where material goods are
few. It is harder in a consumer culture. In poorer communities, just
getting the needs takes most of the day--there isn't the same challenge we
face in affluent countries of sorting out our needs from our wants.
We also face the problem, whatever our philosophical basis, of living in a
society which often does indirectly on our behalf what we will not do
directly ourselves. So, because of my own religion beliefs, I do not kill.
Fair enough. But I also then need to ensure my government does not kill on
my behalf, by allowing industral practices which kill fish, for example, or
by returning the death penalty. And I need to be aware of where the
products I use come from, how they are made, who makes them..... all of
that, which does not arise in non-industrialised countries to the same
extent.
Dawne

Old August 10th 03, 03:13 AM
LdyTegan

It got really interesting at the Enlisted Club when
the British aircrew member wanted to know where he could buy a
"fag".....

LOL, Deb! When I was staying in the London area with some friends on my first
trip overseas, the first "screech to a halt" type picture that I HAD to have
taken was was a picture of a shop called "Fags and Mags"! Now, I KNOW what they
sell, but I just knew my gay pals at home would be delighted with it, so had to
explain why I needed them to take the picture. And yes, they thought it was
great!
Tegan

Who we are never changes. Who we think we are... does.
- Unknown
Old August 10th 03, 05:52 AM
Brenda Lewis

Why is Madison sacred? DH attended grad school there and I'll wager he
hasn't heard this. Color me curious.

animaux wrote:
Yes, I know of the Shambala there. We have one here in Austin, as well. The
most sacred ground in the United States for Tibetan Buddhists, of all places is
Madison, Wisconsin.

--
Brenda Lewis
WIP: J. Himsworth "I Shall Not Want" xs

Old August 10th 03, 09:20 AM
Pat Porter

You`m spot on, my maid! Couldn`t think of the exact location!

Pat P

wrote in message
On Sat, 9 Aug 2003 19:19:17 +0100, "Pat Porter"
wrote:

"Jan Lennie" wrote in message
And in Cornwall UK there's a 'Gnome World ' where at the start of your

visit
you pick up a compulsory hat and fishing rod so that the gnomes don't

get
upset ( and at my height the blend is very easy !!!!)
Jan

Do you mean "Pixie World" on the Plymouth/Tavistock side of Dartmoor?

Me luvvers you'm meaning up between Two Bridges and Princetown up on
Dartmoor.

Sheena

The
hats etc. there aren`t compulsory, thank goodness for their trade! Of

course
there`s probably one in Cornwall, too! Although my husband`s ancestors
originate in Cornwall, and the scenery and history are beautiful - I have

warn you that all the pirates are alive and well and running the tourist
traps down there! We ALL feel relieved to get back to dear old Devon if

we
venture into Cornwall. Yes, I KNOW that Devon has tourist traps, but at
least the people smile at you there, and are much more friendly and

helpful!
If DH gets in a mood I always tell him his Cornish ancestry is showing!

LOL!

The best part of Britain we`ve been to for kindness, courtesy and honesty

is
Scotland - the Western Highlands and particularly the Islands, to be
specific. We`ve found much the same in North Wales, too. We always

maintain
that the further North you go, the nicer the people are!
Pat P

Old August 10th 03, 12:55 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

Dawne Peterson wrote:
I read some comments by the Dalai Lama some months ago (in his book on
ethics I think, but don't hold me to that) about the difficulty of adapting
a belief system from culture to culture. Not impossible, but difficult.
Since he believes it is possible to live an ethical life within the context
of other spiritual or philosophical viewpoints than his own, he suggests
that it might be easier for people to work within their own cultural
context.

Thanks for those words, Dawne!
Dianne

Old August 10th 03, 01:08 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

I've read this exchange. Interesting. In our now defunct local
hospital, the "tech boys" would be called in from the "mother hospital"
35 miles away. Many times, they were simply unable to fix problems.
They were absolutely lost with older technology. My husband would
explain how to fix something, and they'd go "NO! You can't do that!".
After they would go, he'd fix it so the machines would run.

Lots of book learning. Not much life experience.
Dianne

DebM wrote:
On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 02:11:40 GMT, animaux wrote:

world with no degree.

My point is, he didn't walk in off the street and say he had life experience and
got the job. He had 9 months of classes then an additional 4+ years of OTJ
training. There is a big difference between that, and walking in off the street
with "life experience."

Then I guess you and I are talking about different types of life
experience. My original point was that while desirable in many
instances, a college degree is not necessary to get a good job. In
many cases, previous employment experience where someone started at
the entry level and worked their way up counts for as much or more
than a degree, and there is a world of difference between "book
learning" and "real life".

The company I work for (a software development firm) prefers
non-college grads over college grads, for various reasons.

No knowledge means no established bad habits. The price for their salary may
also be pretty stimulating, as well.

No degree does not automatically translate to "no knowledge". In our
business, there has to be a base level of knowledge about software and
computers. It's amazing how many young folks out there have it. No
bad habits is a very valid consideration, and it's amazing how many
bad habits come with a Computer Science degree grin.

As for salary, that is also a valid consideration....all of our
programmers started out in the tech support arena. It gets them
familiar with our software, and how it is supposed to work. It
familiarizes them with the industry our software is targeted towards.
It lets us find out who has the aptitude for programming and exposes
them to the code before they are "responsible" for maintaining the
code. After two years, if they show the aptitude and if they want to,
they can move over to programming. It is interesting that every time
we've hired a programmer with that degree, within 30 - 60 days, they
are gone. One was just unable to write a decent section of code,
despite his degree. Another would decide in the middle of the day
that she was "bored" with the code she was writing, and we would find
her playing solitaire or napping. Then, there are those that never
make it in the door. I mean heck, their profs told them they would
START at a minimum of 50K per year. In Jacksonville, FL, that is not
realistic. Odd, that we are still getting resumes from these guys on
every ad we place, a year or more later.

Techs do start out at a lower salary than programmers. At our company
we get a 1K per year raise every 90 days, starting at the first 90 day
review after hire. By the time the tech makes it to programming (if
they move, we have some that just like it in tech), he/she is making a
minimum of 8K more than their starting salary.

I guess it's all in perspective.

--
Deb
Works in Progress:

Old August 10th 03, 07:11 PM
Pat Porter

Oh yes indeedy - and the fab fish and chips at that place right opposite the
WWII tank. It`s not far at all from Dartmouth, and we often went there when
Richard was in BNRC Band, and when we went down to Plymouth last time
nothing had changed when we visited Dartmouth.

I remember being down there at Christmas and that big hotel near the
Boat-Float was all done up like a Christmas parcel, compete with ribbon!

Was "Killer the Chemist" there when you were there? In the butter-walk. The
name always always tickled me.

Pat P.

wrote in message
On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 09:20:49 +0100, "Pat Porter"
wrote:

You`m spot on, my maid! Couldn`t think of the exact location!

Pat P

So long as it has not changed hands, there is a fabulous pub in
Princetown for lunch. It's a nice old place, can't be missed.
Reasonable prices.

Moving over to the coast, I think I have forgotten to ask, does John
know about the Crab Teas at Slapton Sands? They are famous in the
area and rightly so. Yuck ! Why oh why did I have to think of them!

Sheena

.. .

Old August 23rd 03, 06:14 AM
Ruthie

This thread brings back some memories. I was born and raised IN
Washington, DC, and I remember both the Beltway and the Metro from
before they were built.

I remember when they built the ramp from I-95 in Virginia to the beltway
westbound - they banked it the wrong way, and vehicles flew off of it
into oncoming beltway traffic with terrible regularity. AAA warned them
about it many times. I was living near Quantico, VA, then with my first
hubby, and drove to DC to see my DM and friends often. The speed limit
changed week after week - from 60 to 50, etc. etc, until they posted
that ramp at 15 mph, and people were still getting killed. Then they
finally rebuilt it, but not enough. Eventually they got it right, but
the cost in our tax dollars, and (worse) in human lives, was astronomical.

then there was the Metro! I remember once driving up to visit my mother,
who lived a block off Connecticut Ave (under which the metro was being
installed) at about 20th st. Traffic was diverted to side streets, and
it took us about an hour to go a few blocks. Then we heard the sirens,
and had to find room to move over - and it was Pat Nixon in her
bulletproof limo, shouldering past us "little people." Many people gave
her the one-finger salute.

However, once it was installed, I loved it. It was easy to use, clean,
and efficient. (I don't know how it is, now.) I frequently bopped over
to the Smithsonian on it.

Ah, me, how nostalgic!

Ruthie in Colorado

a proper intro? -- long Peggy Beads 37 September 27th 04 07:47 PM
Hellooo! Anyone remember me? (long...epic-ly long ;o) Kyla Beads 16 May 23rd 04 10:28 PM
THIS THURSDAY 4/22 - Long Island Pen Club Meeting Nancy Handy Rubberstamps 1 April 24th 04 07:37 AM
AD: Millenium Garden Workshops Stephen Polymer Clay 0 August 16th 03 03:33 AM