*Really* white porcelain slip?

Old February 20th 04, 03:09 PM
ShantiP1

Just use a basic porcelain recipe:

50 Grolleg Kaolin
25 Potash Feldspar
25 Silica

Regards,
June
http://www.angelfire.com/art2/shambhalapottery/
Old February 21st 04, 01:29 AM
Nancy Albin

Do you mean Byrne Ceramics from Flanders NJ ? Their clay has a bad
reputation but maybe the distributor knows something. I haven't been in
my studio because of the cold everything is frozen out there but I'll
look up my perfect white cone 10 slip for you tomorrow(SAT)
people use it for a white backround on pots or for a porcelain body.

Old February 23rd 04, 04:59 AM
A&V

There is big difference between casting slip - what I believe Robert is
talking about, and decorating slip.
It is not that easy to make good casting slip.
The greyness of porcelain can be caused by firing in a gas kiln ( even if it
is not reduced). Electric kiln gives more white look.
I am lucky to be able to purchase casting porcelain from Australian Fine
China - a local factory. It has a nice white finish.

Andrea

"wayneinkeywest" wrote in message
.. .
Wayne -

Have you actually made slip out of Southern Ice? An apparently
knowledgable Byrne distributor told us that Southern Ice *cannot* be
made into a slip. I have no idea of why though. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Robert

Robert:
Sorry to contradict what you've been told, but
if they can make a clay from it, YOU can make a slip from it.
Mix with water, blend, done. I use a blender.
Terra Sig is something else
though. I'm having a great deal of trouble making THAT
from porcelain. Could just be me...
or the fact that most of the particles are the same size,
and therefore little to no separation.
Wayne

Old February 23rd 04, 02:57 PM
Robert Galejs

Yes, I am interested in casting slip. Do you know of any good
sources detailing how to make a casting slip?

We have an electric kiln, so that shouldn't be the cause of the greyness.

It's starting to look like no one knows of a semi-local source
(northeast US) for actual white porcelain casting slip and I'll
have to make my own.

- Robert

Old February 23rd 04, 08:07 PM
Uncle John

It is going to be much easier to make your own.

The following are recipes are a starting point for porcelain and bone
china

Porcelain is made from 60% china clay, 20% feldspar and 20% quartz,

Fine bone china is 50% bone ash - which adds strength, extra whiteness
and translucency - 25% china clay and 25% feldspar.

Plus of course a deflocculant

New Zealand China Clays Ltd mine and manufacture the whitest china clay
in the world and is marketed as Ultrafine China Clay. It is exported to
twenty countries and should be available in the US.

Web site http://www.halloysite.com/index.htm

Its analysis is

Ca 0.07, Na 0.06, K 0.05, Al 35.8, Si 50.1, Fe 0.28, Ti 0.08, Mg 0.06

As you cab see the impurities ofiron and titania are very small

You may find this link interesting

http://www.ceramicindustry.com/CDA/A...res/BNP__Featu
res__Item/0,2710,93168,00.html

Two side bars

I have been using a white stoneware clay. In oxidation it is dead white,
in reduction it is a non descript grey.

If you make up a porcelain slip you can add toilet paper to make a paper
clay. You then can pour it over a plaster or glass surface to get very
fine translucent sheets.

Could this be called 'casting' about for information

John W

Old February 24th 04, 02:32 AM
A&V

Robert,
Please let us know of the results. I have tried making slip once and made a
mess of it. Couldn't deflocculate it properly. I am not saying that to
discourage you, quite the contrary, I wouldn't mind trying again and hearing
your experience might just push me in the right direction too.
Andrea