"Drat", says newbie...

Old August 19th 06, 04:08 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jean B.

Default "Drat", says newbie...

Julia in MN wrote:

Jean B. wrote:

I have a feeling I will start by hand and then decided I have to tame
a machine. My 15-y-o daughter sews some on her grandmother's old
Necchi (sp?). I would want something REALLY basic. But then even as
I type that I think that might be a mistake if I really get into these
things....

There is nothing wrong with a really basic machine. If all you are going
to do is patchwork and quilting, that is all you really need. You can do
a lot with a simple straight stitch machine, though you probably want at
least a basic zigzag stitch. Some of the old Singers (pre-1960 or so)
are really good machines and can sometimes be found at garage sales or
thrift stores for very reasonable prices; I picked up a Singer 401 for
$7 at a garage sale earlier this year, though finding something like
that at that price is a bit unusual. The nice thing about the old
Singers (outside of their reliability and durability) is that there are
still enough of them around so that it is relatively easy to get parts
and feet for them. I bought a walking foot and free motion quilting foot
for my Singer on e-bay. Sewing machine dealers are also a good source
for used machines, because a lot of people trade in a machine when they
buy a new one. I would recommend buying a good used machine rather than
a cheap new one from a discount-type store, though I know some people
have been happy with some of the inexpensive machines.

Julia in MN

I am interested in old Singers. Almost bought a treadle, and
am happy I didn't because a) it was overpriced, and b) it was
missing some critical parts. I may look for a featherweight.
I see they have their fans.

--
Jean B.
Old August 19th 06, 04:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debi Matlack

What a happy kitty!
Debi

"Cats" wrote in message
That is more than content - that is sheer bliss! I can
almost feel those sharp little claws kneading and pummelling
in ecstasy. That tiny smile says it all.

--
(snip)
: That looks like one contented cat. I can almost hear him

Old August 19th 06, 06:16 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jacqueline

On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 09:42:54 -0400, "Jean B." wrote:

Sandy Foster wrote:

In the house we had in Arizona before moving here, I had a sewing
*closet*, Jean -- you do what you have to do. G Now I have a room --
it's not very big, just a spare bedroom -- small -- that I appropriated
when we moved here. G Other people have lovely big studios. drool
But as long as we can quilt, we're happy.

Well, there's no extra room here. I do look at houses and
wish for just one more room for projects.

Jean, trust me you never have enough room. I live in a 3 br house 2
baths, hugh kitchen and dinnning room, big living room and a full size
basement that has a second kitchen/laundry room, workshop and
family/game room in it. There is just by father and me and we do not
have enough room. I have been trying ever since my mother died in
April '05 and then when I fell in Dec. '05 to get my dad to build
another room onto the house for things like laundry room, computers,
have 4 of them with just the two of us, and now a sewing corner and he
just can't grasp that I need it. We own a couple of rental houses
next door to our's I think I will tell him he can build me a room or I
am going to move someone out and make me a "junk" house. LOL, we use
to own a furniture store and we had so much stuff that was personal in
it, (after 54 years of being in business) that when he sold it he had
to come home and build a 3 car garage that serves as a barn or a place
for HIS junk, out in our back yard, all I am asking for is a room the
1/2 the length of our house. No go! Oh we also have a full size
attic and it too is full of stuff. But it is unfinished where as the
rest of the house is. There is also three very small rooms in our
basement that I keep things like canning jars in, some Christmas stuff
and things like that. We need another room so don't worry if you had
that bigger place you wouldn't have enough room.

Jacqueline
http://www.mountain-breeze.com
Recipes and other fun things
Old August 19th 06, 06:23 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jacqueline

On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 09:49:34 -0400, "Jean B." wrote:

Ceridwen wrote:

Welcome Jean B. You certainly came to the right place for inspiration. The
knowledge this group has, it's phenomenal. I'm always learning something.
For the record, quilting is contagious! ;o) In no time, you'll have a
chocolate and/or licorice stash as well as fabric (if you don't already have
one!). Have fun!

I have the chocolate but not the licorice. (I THINK I'm
trying to take off weight.) I tend to collect a lot of what
I'm into, so I fear the amount of fabric I'm going to end up
with. I guess I should figure out how much of each kind of
fabric I need to get....

Jean we are even more alike. I tend to go over board on things I do
also. I bought 5.5 yards of fabric the other day to use for the
backing of what I hope will be my first baby quilt, but it is just
going to be 4x4 blocks sewn together in some sort of order. Bought
the squares off ebay, and then found material to match my favorite one
at Walmart.

Old August 19th 06, 06:26 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jacqueline

Gosh Pat, I guess I am out when it comes to being your friend,
because I don't buy chocolate being a diabetic. I got to thinking the
other day what if I had a hypo and needed something sweet, I didn't
have a thing in this house that was sweet. So today after my PT I ran
by the grocery and picked up a bag of Oreos, of course my dad will
have them eaten in two to three days so they won't hang around long.

Jacqueline

On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 14:42:33 -0400, Pat in Virginia
wrote:

Actually, I am the Pat who is Official
Chocolate Taster of RCTQ. So, I am the
one who checks your supply and approves
it, or gives advice on a preferred type.
PAT

Jean B. wrote:
Pat in Virginia wrote:

Quilting is the only social disease worth catching.
ANON.

LOL! And are you the Pat who will endanger my chocolate supply? :-)

Old August 19th 06, 08:21 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati Cook

Default Quilted Diamonds, was "Drat", says newbie...

You can also order them directly from Linda, and she (and Monkey) will
sign them too. G

Pati, in Phx

AliceW wrote:
See, I got so befuddled, I forgot to share the site. Well, here it is:

http://www.softexpressions.com/Merch... _Code=4d0300

If this cuts off on your screen, just go to www.softexpressions.com and do a
search for diamonds.

Hide your credit cards and check books first. You have been warned. NAYY

Old August 19th 06, 02:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

Jacqueline:
I do not require my friends to EAT
chocolate! I am more than happy to eat
their share.

It is good quilter protocol to have
chocolate available for visiting
quilters. (Even a bag of m&m's will do,
in a pinch!) So, you might want to buy
some and hide it away for an emergency.
I'd be glad to taste that for you.

PAT

Old August 19th 06, 04:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Maureen Wozniak

On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 17:35:01 -0500, Johanna Gibson wrote
(in article ):

On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 09:35:56 -0400, "Jean B." wrote:

Has anyone made a quilt for a cat?

Hmmm, I was under the impression that all quilts are for cats. At least
they are around here. I can't keep the QIs off them.

Maureen

Old August 19th 06, 04:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debra

Default quilt for cat? "Drat", says newbie...

My quilt project materials get used by the cats before they even
become quilts.

Debra in VA

On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 17:11:10 GMT, Sandy Ellison
wrote:

Howdy!

huh! aren't they all?

Ragmop/Sandy
http://tinyurl.com/krrcd

On 8/18/06 8:35 AM, in article , "Jean B."
wrote:

Debra wrote:

You will have to make some very hard quilts then. Most cats are
attracted to nice soft quilts.
Debra in VA
See my quilts at

Old August 20th 06, 06:20 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debra

On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 09:44:24 -0400, "Jean B." wrote:

Debra wrote:

Don't sweat it Jean. Everyone here doesn't have a dedicated sewing
space. A lot of us are using various rooms to quilt in. Sometimes I
use the livingroom, sometimes the kitchen, and sometimes I use both
those rooms plus the hallway (the ironing board fits nicely along the
long wall). Everything I have, including the cutting table is totally
portable and can be set up in very little time.

Once upon a time I tried making a sewing spot in one room but quickly
found out, among other things, that it didn't have enough light or
space in the room for sewing.
Debra in VA
See my quilts at

No, sweating it wouldn't have any positive results. But I'd
better get more organized or something.

Organized? If I wait until I'm organized I'll never get to quilt. I
just turn a blind eye to the chaos somedays and steal the time to sew.
Debra in VA
See my quilts at