Hollow Tumbling Block Quilt

Old May 30th 08, 06:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

Default Hollow Tumbling Block Quilt

Here is a picture of the hollow tumbling block quilt that I have been
working on. I originally intended to modify the pattern to add a
series of blocks, that were falling, or tumbling, off the bottom of
the quilt design. But I found that I didn't like the effect when I did
it. So, I reverted to the traditional, tried and true, and I am now
happy with it. Dimensions are 65" w x 62" tall and it is designed to
hang, permanently, in my meditation room. I am going to take some
time off of quilting after all those set in corners and do some
clothes and also some work around the house, that has been on the back
burner, while I was obsessed with completing this quilt. I think that
if I could do this design over I could make it work with the effect of
the falling off blocks element, but just not on this one. I like this
one for what it is. A demanding pattern, that I always wanted to do.
Enjoy

John

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...00692635KDVMWb
Old May 30th 08, 07:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jane Zoerb

John
I like the quilt. Good job and all that stuff. HeeHee

--
Jane http://windigothreads.shutterfly.com

Old May 30th 08, 07:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN

I almost hate to tell you this, John, but this quilt can be done quite
easily without any set-in seams. Sarah Nephew has the pattern in her
book "Big Book of Building Block Quilts". None of the quilts in the book
have set-in seams. You can see a few of the quilts in the book at
http://aliciasattic.com/gallery/quiltsfrombooks/booksbigbookofbuildingblockquilts/index.html
Of course, I realize that you may have wanted the challenge of doing the
set-in seams

Julia in MN

-----------
http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/
-----------

Old May 30th 08, 07:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

John wrote:
[...]

I know about that way of doing it. I wanted to try to really master
the technique of set in seams, and it was a rewarding, if lengthy and
trying experience. I don't think I want to do a bunch of them that
way, though. I am glad I did it and it really upgraded my sewing
skills to put it together in this manner.

John
Old May 30th 08, 08:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Yes, you're right, John. It is beautiful in itself. The background
setting and the borders really set it off. Congratulations.
Enjoy your break - I'm quite sure you won't stop thinking, though!
..
In message
,
John writes
[...]

Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old May 30th 08, 08:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

"John" wrote in message
[...]

It is simply beautiful.

Old May 30th 08, 08:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
joan8904 in Bellevue Nebraska

Double (or triple) wow!

Old May 30th 08, 09:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

In article
,
John wrote:

[...]

I really like that, John! The more I look at it, the more different ways
it appears -- hollow cubes going top right to bottom left, the opposite
of that, arrow shapes going one direction or the other. It's endlessly
fascinating!

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://www.sandymike.net
Old May 31st 08, 01:31 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Louise in Iowa[_2_]

Beautiful! I really like the borders you added to it.

--
Louise in Iowa
nielandl@ msn dot com

Old May 31st 08, 04:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

That came out really great John. The border sets it off well.
Sometimes the challenge of something that takes more time like
all the set in corners is a good project.
Taria

Tumbling Blocks Quilt. John Quilting 18 April 22nd 08 10:22 PM
Best quilting pattern for tumbling block quilt MaleQuilter Quilting 5 December 17th 06 07:20 PM
Best quilting pattern for tumbling block quilt newquilter Quilting 15 October 25th 06 06:29 PM
Determine size of tumbling block design MaleQuilter Quilting 8 October 25th 06 04:08 AM
Tumbling Block Pattern Help Mika Quilting 6 June 20th 04 04:55 AM