Starch alternative

Old April 13th 08, 05:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny[_2_]

Default Starch alternative

Have any of you used the new product -- clear -- that's an alternative
to starch? I used some and loved it. Fresh fragrance and really good
texture of fabric afterward. But it's darned expensive. I'm wondering
if anybody knows what's in the stuff and if there's a way to get it
and mix your own.

I definitely mix my own starch in a spray bottle. But I love the way
this new product doesn't leave starch marks or flakes and doesn't have
to be shaken each time you want to spray. Also, great texture and hand
for the fabric.

Sunny
Old April 14th 08, 12:58 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
jennellh

Thanks for that info, Jeri. My sister will be going down to SC soon
and this is something that I can ask her to look out for. I checked
the Dryel website and there is a coupon available to request by mail
for anyone who is interested. jennellh

On Apr 13, 2:59*pm, "Jeri" wrote:
Sunny wrote:
Have any of you used the new product -- clear -- that's an alternative
to starch? I used some and loved it. Fresh fragrance and really good
texture of fabric afterward. But it's darned expensive. I'm wondering
if anybody knows what's in the stuff and if there's a way to get it
and mix your own.

snip

I don't know what's in it but I do know there's another less expensive
starch alternative by Dryel. I haven't personally used it but I've heard
good things about it....... nice finish, no flaking or build up, etc. I
think it's sold in supermarkets and maybe discount stores.

--
Jeri
"You can complain because roses have thorns, or you can rejoice because

Old April 14th 08, 05:37 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny[_2_]

Okay, another product to try. LOL. I am a huge sucker for new
products, gadgets, notions. I'm headed to Dryel site right now to get
that coupon and then it's off to try to find the product in a store
here. Wal-Mart, maybe?

Sunny
still hung up on that clear sizing stuff.

Old April 14th 08, 08:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate G.[_2_]

I don't know what Sunny does -- but I buy the liquid starch by the bottle...
and then pour it into a little 99 cent spray bottle where I dilute it
SUBSTANTIALLY. It gives me the "crispyness" that I like in fabric -- but
because there is so little starch in the water... I never have to worry
about flaking.

Does anybody know the actual namme of the new starch alternative products?
--
Kate in MI

Old April 14th 08, 10:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati C.

I like to dilute the liquid starch too. BTW, if you want a bit more
crispness, don't be afraid to make it a bit heavier. But spray it on and
let it sit for a bit. You have to let the starch penetrate the
thread/fibers of the fabric in order to not have the flaking problems. G
The one brand of the "new stuff" I know about is called "Mary Ellen's
Best Press". I haven't noticed it in grocery type stores but have seen
it in a few of the quilt shops around here. Where I teach they even
provide it at the ironing boards in the classroom. (They do get gallon
bottles of it and refill the small bottles. Not sure if the big bottles
are available retail, but you might ask.VBG)

Pati, in Phx

Old April 15th 08, 12:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny[_2_]

Yep, that's exactly what I do -- buy bottled starch and dilute it in a
spray bottle. I'm fine with that. I just liked the feel of the new
product on the fabric. Not long ago, my husband brought home a can of
sizing -- not starch. I tried it and fell in love. It was different
than starch and it felt wonderful on fabric, including clothing and
the stuff I sew with. And let's be clear he I don't iron anything
other than the fabric I'm going to quilt with. I figure clothes are
just fine the way they come out of the dryer. If God intended me to
iron clothes, .... well, She just didn't. So there.

LoL

Sunny
Old April 15th 08, 02:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Trixie

Default Starch alternative - recipe to make your own

This came from the RCTQ newsgroup some years ago:

Here is some home brew kind of stuff:

Laundry Starch

1 cup cornstarch
1/2 cup wheat starch

Stir cornstarch and wheat starch together and cover tightly to store.

To use, dissolve 2 teaspoons in 1 cup water. Apply to damp fabric
with a spray bottle or dilute with more water and moisten fabrics in a
starch bath.

Trixie

Old April 15th 08, 04:41 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Phyllis Nilsson

I'm another big fan of sizing; having used starch in years, but the sizing
gives fabric a nice finish.

Old April 15th 08, 04:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bonnie Patterson[_2_]

I buy regular liquid starch,Linit or whatever you find in your grocery
store, in a 64 oz. bottle, mix it 1:1 or 2:1 with water in a spray
bottle and spray onto my "work" let it soak in and iron. If I am doing
fat quaters I spray one and stack one on top, spray it, stack another,
etc., until I have a whole pile. then, I flip the pile over and start
ironing, ironing the first one (bottom one) first.

My mother used to buy dry starch, ARGO, in a box, mix it with water,
and cook it until it thickened, mix the thickened starch with more
water until thin, and dip the items to be starched into it, wring them
out, dry them , sprinkel them, and iron. One time she acidentally
starched my Dad's boxers, yes they got ironed, he was not a happy
camper!

Bonnie, in Middletown, VA

Starch Taria Quilting 1 October 29th 07 08:51 PM
Starch Mickie Swall Quilting 0 October 21st 07 03:21 AM
Spray Starch Mickie Swall[_2_] Quilting 28 October 9th 07 01:29 AM
Do you starch? Tricia Quilting 36 November 10th 05 11:11 PM
Sizing v. Starch joan8904 in Bellevue Nebraska Quilting 12 March 16th 05 08:50 PM