OT Thinking of an indoor fountain and koi pond

Old February 28th 08, 03:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Default OT Thinking of an indoor fountain and koi pond

I have had this idea haunting me for some time and want to toss it at y'all
and see what you throw back at me. In the entryway of a new house there's a
stone wall- maybe to the ceiling and maybe not- maybe real rocks or maybe
the man-made type. Some type of lighting would be in the ceiling or the
wall to spotlight the area and probably a window beside it. There's
plumbing behind the stone wall and it creates a flow of water down the
stones- maybe a trickle or three or maybe a fair amount of water. The water
lands in a small koi pond- possibly a preformed plastic/fiberglass type pond
that would be fully supported or maybe formed out of more rocks. There
would be niches in the rocks for some tropical plants- in pots or maybe
planted right in depressions in the rock... maybe some ferns and orchids or
not.

Talk to me! VBG

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Old February 28th 08, 04:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Butterflywings

When we were house-hunting when we first moved here, we went thru a home
that had this type of thing in the foyer. It was OFF, owner said it was too
much work trying to keep it clean. So it just 'sat there' taking up unusable
space.
It does sound like it would be a perfect spot to grow orchids, if you're
into that hobby

Butterfly (really not that much help)

Old February 28th 08, 04:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Do you know if this owner was the one who originally had the pond? Or did
he buy the house with it already there? That might make a difference in
whether it was too much work or not. If he inherited it from a previous
owner he might not have had the interest???

Leslie- not into orchids.... YET! & The Furbabies in MO.

Old February 28th 08, 05:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
marigold

Wow! What a great idea!
We are also hoping to build this spring. We are in the design stage right
now.... you've given me something else to think about!
I've been thinking of where my outdoor pond will go. Hadn't thought about an
indoor one.
DH gets scared when I start thinking about changes. I just keep telling him
changes are ok now. If I start thinking about changes after we have the blue
prints done... then he can be scared.
Type of rock -I would think a lot would depend on cost
Amount of water flow I would think would depend on the available space and
size of pond, you wouldn't want water spray getting outside the area
designed for it.
I love the idea of plants tucked in around it. In pots would probably be
easier to keep up with and would prevent damage from the fish, but again
would depend on the chosen plants.
Let us know what you decide on, I'll be watching this thread with interest.

Marilyn
in Alberta, Canada
where we just had an overnight spring snowfall, just when it had finally
dried up out side!

Old February 28th 08, 05:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

I love the idea of an indoor pond; but I wouldn't do it with pretend
rock etc - I always think that looks too artificial, as you can never
get really good artificial rock - real rock changes so much with/without
water. If I did one, I would either do it with real rock (lightweight
Tufa rock or some such) or do it with marble, glass and stainless steel
- my antidote to artificiality is stark modernism!! With glass etc, the
lights could be in the water.
I would be concerned that the whole of the water-containing part is in
one-piece inside, with all the pretty 'stuff' outside.

Not much help, sorry!
..
In message , Leslie & The Furbabies
in MO. writes

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old February 28th 08, 05:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Mary

If I were you I would be talking with people who own/run fish stores
and who own and sell fishponds! I would also be talking with zoo
curators with knowledge about fish! Materials, depth, filtration,
temperature, surface area, etc. are all critical to success, and the
"fish folks" would know what is really needed. THEN go to your
atchitect!

I dated a gentleman who purchased a house with a built-in fish pond
that was about 3' by 4' and about 18" deep, which the previous owners
had kept with wonderful fish (they had preferred orginary guppies, but
it was built for koi). My friend was not interested in providing a
snack buffet for his mother's cats on their regular visits, so rather
than fish, he kept it drained, added several inches of river rock, and
put potted plants in the space. Fortunately for when he sold the
house, he had taken many very good photos of the pond as it had been
kept with fish, so potential buyers could see it both ways.
Old February 28th 08, 05:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Architect! teehee! I design and draw my own house plans, so that's not
gonna happen! But your advice about seeking expert help is valid.

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Old February 28th 08, 06:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

On Feb 28, 10:43*am, "Leslie & The Furbabies in MO."
wrote:
[...]

The only suggestion I have, is to use an impermeable water
barrier,such as a plastic or some other solid waterproof surface, on
the underside of whatever rock surface you choose. What you don't want
to happen is to have water somehow leeching through the rocks and
whatever grouting you choose, and then causing dry rot in the wall
area behind where you place the whole shebang. I earned a lot of money
over the years repairing dry rot damage from improperly installed
showers. Because, what you are describing is basically a single
walled shower, with the water trickling down the surface, instead of
spraying. The other thing to think about is access for plumbing
repairs, from the rear side. You wouldn't want to have to take the
nicely placed rocks off to find the problem with the plumbing that
might develop behind the whole thing. Usually, an access door or panel
can be faked in a wall behind the thing, without being too obtrusive.

John
Old February 28th 08, 06:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

I like having water around but there are a couple of things you might
want to consider. Your furbabies WILL be in the water. It will happen.
It is the nature of the beast. Second thing is although you don't have
small children around there is definitely a drowning risk. Something to
consider. I see so many water features on the diy shows and wonder about
safety. I would probably opt for more of a greenhouse type room that was
glass doored off so I could have some control. The humidity is something
to consider also. You probably don't need much more humidity in your
climate. Lilly cat would love a wall of water in the house. I don't
need one more thing to clean. I do have a wall fountain and it is just
out my sewing room window. Our climate makes for different choices though.
TAria

Old February 28th 08, 06:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

I thought to have the walk-in pantry back up to the wall of rocks with an
access panel. Good advice in your post! Thanks!

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

wrote:
[...]

OT - Indoor Baby Fence Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply Needlework 4 April 2nd 11 07:07 AM
removable indoor enclosures Allan Adler General Crafting 1 March 27th 06 02:32 PM
Mist/fogger fountain? Bubbles Pottery 3 October 23rd 04 08:21 AM
Little Fountain Shell..just so's ya know.... [email protected] Yarn 8 May 19th 04 01:42 PM