OT Computer question

Old December 14th 09, 11:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Michelle C.

Default OT Computer question

I may have to do something akin to your set-up Bonnie if I can't find
out the answer for sure. Thanks for the thought. :-)

Michelle in Nevada

Bonnie Patterson wrote:
I don't think that the CD drive would work if it were vertical (as it
would be if the computer tower was on it's side. I have mine under my
desk, it sits on a wooden box that keeps it off the floor. It's at my
right , just about knee high.
Bonnie, in Middletown, VA

On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 10:01:06 -0800, "Michelle C."
wrote:

Well, it's sort of OT. I'm trying to get more space in my sewing room
and realized one thing that would help is if I could set my computer
tower on its side and put it on a shelf, instead of having it on top of
the table where it now sits. Does anyone know if it is safe to put a
computer on its side?

Thanks!
Michelle in Nevada

Old December 14th 09, 11:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Michelle C.

Thanks NightMist!

Michelle in Nevada

NightMist wrote:
Not just the cd drive, the hard drive may not function properly long
term if you change it's orientation. They are not really designed to
function at any and every angle.

If you have an average machine it probably isn't a great notion.

NightMist

Old December 14th 09, 11:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sherry Starr[_3_]

On Dec 14, 12:01*pm, "Michelle C."
wrote:
Well, it's sort of OT. *I'm trying to get more space in my sewing room
and realized one thing that would help is if I could set my computer
tower on its side and put it on a shelf, instead of having it on top of
the table where it now sits. *Does anyone know if it is safe to put a
computer on its side?

Thanks!
Michelle in Nevada

It just happens that our computer geek person was at our house today,
and I asked him your question. He said "No, No, No, and No!" He said
you stand a very good chance of things being dislodged. He said you
could damage the CD/DVD player and also any CD's or DVD's you would
be playing. I also asked my SIL and he said basically the same thing
with just more colorful language. The printable things he asked was if
I was having a senior moment or heavily medicated. He is quite a
character at times. I wouldn't do it no matter how much room I would
save.

Sherry Starr
Old December 14th 09, 11:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
J*

those 'towers' you see on their sides aka usually with the screen sitting on
top of them are built on the inside to sit that way. if you put it upright
like your tower is now it would not be good to run that way either.
each is built to run according to that position and should not be put any
other way to run it.
its just asking for trouble if you try it.
dont reckon its worth the worry.
find another alternative keeping it upright.
j.

Old December 15th 09, 06:36 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Steven Cook

Hi

I'd have to agree with what everyone has said, but there is a but to this.

Many of the computers that we have ordered for our computer labs at school,
which are Dells, have supposedly been designed to be placed either flat or
standing up. They have little rubber footies on the side to lay down and
similar footies to stand up. The cup holder, er, CD drive also has little
clippy things that can be rotated so that if the drive is vertical, the CD
won't fall out. They've been working now for more than 5 years, every day
so they must be okay.

Now, granted, this is a specific example, but your machine could be similar.
A typical tower though should not be layed on its side.

Steven
Alaska

Old December 15th 09, 07:04 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]

Hi Michelle

E-Mail the E-Machine support desk for the correct info
re your model of PC

E-Mail form can be found on company home page
http://www.emachines.com/corporate/contacts.html

Corporate Headquarters
Gateway, Inc.
7565 Irvine Center Drive
Irvine, California 92618

Best wishs from That man in Chester UK
Mike A

Old December 15th 09, 07:22 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]

Michelle

Email me the name / model number of your PC.

I will try downloading a setup manual

Mike A

Old December 15th 09, 06:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Michelle C.

Sherry Starr wrote:
On Dec 14, 12:01 pm, "Michelle C."
wrote:
[...]

Thanks so much Sherry! You went above and beyond the call of duty to
take time to ask your computer geek. I REALLY appreciate it. Now, I
can make an alternate plan. :-)

Best regards,
Michelle in Nevada
Old December 15th 09, 06:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Michelle C.

Thanks Jeanne! Probably the towers I saw on their sides were made to be
that way.

Best regards,
Michelle in Nevada

Old December 15th 09, 06:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Michelle C.

As a matter of fact the towers I saw on their sides were Dells--so that
explains that mystery. Thanks Steven. :-)

My tower is staying upright.

Best regards,
Michelle in Nevada

"Michelle C." wrote in message
Well, it's sort of OT. I'm trying to get more space in my sewing room and
realized one thing that would help is if I could set my computer tower on
its side and put it on a shelf, instead of having it on top of the table
where it now sits. Does anyone know if it is safe to put a computer on
its side?

Thanks!
Michelle in Nevada

OT Computer question...... NanaWilson Quilting 5 August 1st 09 02:33 AM
OT computer question KJ Quilting 6 December 19th 08 03:40 PM
OT - Computer question Kate G. Quilting 5 December 22nd 05 09:28 PM
OT/Computer Question [email protected] Quilting 8 October 3rd 05 03:49 PM
OT- computer question Armand Vine Beads 4 August 30th 04 04:23 AM