OT - Ultimate Cinnamon roll recipe

Old August 31st 09, 04:33 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie& The Furbabies in MO.

Default Recipe Review

No, they don't change when cooled. They are much like a very tender
biscuit. They don't tear like bread will, they fall apart like a biscuit-
kinda crumbly??? But they are yummy!

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

"KJ" wrote in message
On Aug 30, 6:35 pm, "Leslie& The Furbabies in MO."
wrote:
I am fond of traditional cinnamon rolls with a bread like texture- these
don't have it. They are delicious, light and there's no kneading, so
that's
a plus. But I won't make them again.

They would be a good choice for someone who is leery of making yeast
dough.
They are simple and straightforward to make. And don't try to tip them out
of the pan onto a plate- at least not while they are hot. They are so
delicate and soft that they fall apart.

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Thanks for the review Leslie. The delicious part sounds good. Does
the texture change when fully cooled?

Old August 31st 09, 05:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati, in Phx

Default OT - Ultimate Cinnamon roll recipe

Okay, I give. VBG
This is a recipe I have used for many years. Got it from a friend when
I was a pre-teen. (A loooooong time ago)
I have requests for these rolls and cinnamon rolls. The basic dough is
for rolls, which make awesome dinner rolls, or sandwich rolls for
turkey or ham. But can be shaped as you wish, instructions included
for cinnamon rolls. VBG
This is not a particularly fast recipe, it is old fashioned, but I
make it in the Kitchen Aid mixer with a dough hook now, used to do it
all by hand (except the margarine/sugar/egg part.)

Sweet Rolls.
2 packages (scant tablespoons yeast) 1/2 cup margarine,
softened
2 cups lukewarm water 2/3 cup
sugar
1 teaspoon sugar 1 1/2
teaspoon salt
3 cups (approximately) flour 2 eggs

1/4 teaspoon nutmeg (optional, but it does add a lot)
plus 4-6 cups of additional flour
Step 1: Make sponge
Sprinkle yeast over warm water to soften. Add sugar and about 3 cups
of flour and beat well. Cover and let rise until doubled in bulk.

Step 2: Cream margarine with sugar and salt. Beat it well, you want it
as "fluffy" as you can. Add eggs and nutmeg and beat well.

Step 3: Pour egg/margarine mixture into sponge and mix well.
Add enough flour to make a soft dough, 4-6 cups (depending on your
eggs, margarine and the weather). Knead until smooth and elastic.
Oil/butter top of dough (I usually coat the bowl with a bit of
margarine, turn dough around in it so the 'buttered' side is up.)
Cover and let rise until doubled.

You can knock this down and let rise again if you wish, or make into
rolls.

Step 4:
Shape rolls as desired. Let rise until doubled. Bake at 350°F until
browned and cooked through. (Time depends on size of rolls and whether
or not they are close together or separated and so on. Check at 10
minutes or so and go from there. )

For dinner rolls, I make smallish balls. Melt more margarine or butter
in a cake pan, roll balls of dough in melted butter to coat. Place
rolls a bit apart, remember they will rise.... the closer together the
smaller and higher the rolls. Farther apart will give "flatter" and
wider rolls. G

For cinnamon rolls: Roll out part of dough into rough rectangle.
(Again, size of rectangle determines size of rolls.) Keep dough a
scant 1/2" thick for smaller rolls, a generous 1/2" to 3/4" for larger
ones.
Leaving one long edge bare, spread dough with softened butter (or
margarine). Coat dough like you would butter a slice of bread for a
sandwich, only a bit more (maybe). Mix sugar and cinnamon as you
wish. (Sorry, I don't have exact measurements. You can use white,
brown or a mixture of sugars.) I like lots of cinnamon. And yes mixing
the sugar and cinnamon really helps distribute the flavor much better
G.
Sprinkle sugar mix over butter. Use a lot. really cover the dough.
Roll up toward the bare edge of dough. Pinch that edge to the dough
roll to seal. Cut into slices. Place in pan with melted butter. Cover
and let rise.
Bake and enjoy. You could ice them if you wish, but I don't. G

Note: I have made these ahead to the shaping stage (for dinner rolls)
and frozen them. Thaw, rise and bake.
Have also cooked until almost done, but not browned. Then finished
baking just before serving.

Have fun, and enjoy.

Pati, in Phx.

I just wondered if you kind, helpful people could post your favourite
cinnamon roll recipe, or provide a link if that's possible? *I have a
feeling that this baking urge will last a while, or at least until the
energy runs out, or until Mark hits 20 stone, whatever happens first....

-- Jo in Scotland

Old August 31st 09, 06:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sherry

Thanks for the tip. I'm with you that cinnamon rolls should have a
bread
texture. We learned to make them in Home Economics class using
some recipe from a Fleishman's brochure. (That was back when a large
part of the 1960s curriculum was "How to Catch a Man".)
Seriously.

But they were heavenly, even though it took hours to make them.

Sherry

Old August 31st 09, 09:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jo Gibson

Pati, in Phx wrote:
[...]

Cheers! Are those "2 packages of yeast" equivalent to 2 scant
tablespoons? I ask because we don't get the same size packages of yeast
here as I used to buy in the US, so I have to measure everything by
teaspoons and tablespoons. (Sometimes if I smile just so, the bakery at
Tesco gives me a lump of fresh yeast as well.....)

-- Jo in Scotland
Old August 31st 09, 09:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
teleflora

"KJ" wrote in message
On Aug 29, 10:17 pm, "teleflora" wrote:
"KJ" wrote in message

There's a Penzey's across the street from my favorite quilt shop in
Kansas
City. All my quilts smell like cinnamon.

There is a Penzey's across the street from a GREAT quilt shop in
Overland Park KS....would that be the one?

*********

That would be it! I knew Polly probably wouldn't recognize 'Overland
Park',
but figured she'd get 'Kansas City'.

Cindy

I LOVE that shop!! The name is escaping me right now....Harpers? I
had a good friend who lived in OP and I would stay with her and we'd
hit the shops. There is a small one in Olathe that carries some neat
fabrics,too.

Yeah, and there is a great big huge one in Blue Springs, Quilter's Station,
that is terrific. But I love Harper's the best because they carry a lot of
Civil War reproductions. That's what I'm loving on at the moment.

Quilter's Station organizes all their fabric by color... I wish they could
cross organize by collection, but I can see why they do it that way. I tell
people that shop is one for professional quilters. Ones that can already
make good color choices.

Cindy

Old August 31st 09, 09:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
teleflora

"Sherry" wrote in message
Thanks for the tip. I'm with you that cinnamon rolls should have a
bread
texture. We learned to make them in Home Economics class using
some recipe from a Fleishman's brochure. (That was back when a large
part of the 1960s curriculum was "How to Catch a Man".)
Seriously.

*************

And cinnamon rolls would definately be good bait.

Cindy

Old August 31st 09, 10:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
teleflora

PW has a cook book coming out. You can preorder it on Amazon.

Cindy

"Leslie& The Furbabies in MO." wrote in message
Sherry, thanks for this great recipe! Pioneer Woman has a printable page
with this recipe- without all the photos and funny comments-

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/f...mon-rolls1.pdf

I have a batch of her cinnamon rolls proofing right now!

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

"Sherry" wrote in message
On Aug 28, 8:18 pm, Jo Gibson wrote:
I'm not really interested in sweet food now (Week 20 now) but for some
reason, I feel compelled to find the best cinnamon roll recipe in the
world. I have been doing loads of baking lately... don't know what that
is all about either. I tried the recipe in my New Cookbook (red and
white checked cover, printed in the 1990s, my sister gave it to me...
it's in the kitchen and I'm not....) and they were not cinnamon enough,
and certainly not moist enough.

I continued in my search and used one from the internet today, called
"The Ultimate Cinnamon Roll" and it used a butter cream frosting, loads
of brown sugar and loads of cinnamon. I tried a couple and you know,
it's a lot moister and closer to the nirvana of cinnamon baking that I
seek.

I just wondered if you kind, helpful people could post your favourite
cinnamon roll recipe, or provide a link if that's possible? I have a
feeling that this baking urge will last a while, or at least until the
energy runs out, or until Mark hits 20 stone, whatever happens first....

I'll be having another scan on Wednesday. The 20-week scan, but it will
be 21 weeks for me, and I can feel the creature moving about now. Very
odd, and Mark is definitely jealous that he cannot feel anything yet. I
have pointed out that this is because I have a baby inside me, and he
only has many cinnamon rolls and stored fat. He says I am cruel.

-- Jo in Scotland

Does anyone ever read the Pioneer Woman blog? She has some pretty
yummy recipes (none are very good for you, but still yummy). Here's
the cinnamon rolls that I've wanted to try.
http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2...nammon_rolls_/

Loved your 20-week update; keep them coming!

Sherry

Old August 31st 09, 11:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Listpig

US Package Of Yeast = 2 1/4 teaspoons

Worth knowing as well for those of us who buy yeast in jars or larger
(bakery size) packs. Stuff lasts forever, if it lives in the freezer

--pig

Old August 31st 09, 11:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
J*

that is hibernating in the freezer.
thanks for the amount. i did a wee bit of baking when i lived in usa but not
enough to remember so many years back. now i use a jar of the active
granules. i dont like the surebake we get here which is nothing more than
yeast granules with filler that is supposed to speed up the rising process.
seems silly to me when it costs more and is so much filler you're not really
getting much for it.
i can add those fillers and make a sponge first, doesnt take that long to do
and when i make a sponge first i get a better bread consistency from it.
i like adding various nuts/seeds with the cinnamon/sugar mix sprinkled over
the dough. sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, pine nuts. also have been known
to use various spices along with the cinnamon just for a change of taste.
j.

"Listpig" wrote...

Old September 1st 09, 04:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Rita L in MA

judyanna wrote:

THE BEST Cinnamon roll is TODD WILBUR'S cinnamon(Cinnabun) roll - do a
search for it on recipe-link.com
I PROMISE you'll love it

judy from Mass

Hi Judy! Haven't seen any posts from you in a while. How is everything
going?

Rita

--
Rita L. in MA - One eyed Mutant Ninja Quilter :-)