hand piecing and quilting

Old July 10th 09, 01:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Mary

Default hand piecing and quilting

Am I one of a dying breed? I enjoy piecing and quilting completely by
hand. I have 3 sewing machines, all working very nicely, but really
prefer to do everything by hand even though it takes a lot longer. My
only "modern" thing is that I use a rotary cutter and mat. Otherwise
I could probably be sitting on a log bench outside a log cabin . . .
So, are there others who love hand work and shun their sewing
machines?
Old July 10th 09, 04:31 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

I bake our own bread, Mary. I neither apologize or assume superiority for
it. Just doing what I like to do. I like to know what's in our bread.
But, yes. I guess we are a dying breed. On the flip side, I salute the
mamas who are juggling so many things at once. I'm proud that they manage
to keep some of the buttons sewed on and scrape the burny edges off the
toast. I can remember when we actually ironed men's underwear. Wouldn't
they faint dead away if that happened now. Life is running mighty fast.
Polly

Old July 10th 09, 06:07 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]

"Mary" wrote in message

Am I one of a dying breed? �I enjoy piecing and quilting completely by
hand. �I have 3 sewing machines, all working very nicely, but really
prefer to do everything by hand even though it takes a lot longer. �My
only "modern" thing is that I use a rotary cutter and mat. �Otherwise
I could probably be sitting on a log bench outside a log cabin . . .
So, are there others who love hand work and shun their sewing
machines?- Hide quoted text -

Mary and Polly....this is my first reply to the group but I have been
lurking a long time! Mary I do enjoy hand work because I can do it in
front of the TV and/or enjoy time with my family. I have limited my
hand work to quilting and not piecing but I am considering going back
to hand piecing for a few things.

Polly! I have never heard of anyone actually ironing men's underware,
is it true? I am 50 something and can remember back to my grandparents
being alive and 2 sets of great-grand parents and I never remember
seeing anyone ironing underwear!

Ellen

Lets see if this works... my first post to the newsgroup
Old July 10th 09, 07:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Welcome Ellen; it's good to meet you. Your post worked fine.

I still hand sew the back side of the binding - but little else (though
I would hand slip stitch the sashing if I were doing a quilt-as-you-go
piece).

(Until a few years ago, I used to iron absolutely everything that was
washed, including underwear. I have given up on underwear, but I do
still iron tea towels!)

In message
,
" writes

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old July 10th 09, 12:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

On Jul 9, 8:54*pm, Mary wrote:
Am I one of a dying breed? *I enjoy piecing and quilting completely by
hand. *I have 3 sewing machines, all working very nicely, but really
prefer to do everything by hand even though it takes a lot longer. *My
only "modern" thing is that I use a rotary cutter and mat. *Otherwise
I could probably be sitting on a log bench outside a log cabin . . .
So, are there others who love hand work and shun their sewing
machines?

Mary, I also love to make and made things. Although I don't quilt by
hand, I do make furniture by hand. While it takes a lot longer to do,
is far more rewarding to me, and I think produces a better, less
factory made looking item. So enjoy the things you love to do and
don't worry about whether anybody else understands the rewards you get
from doing them. You understand, and that is what is important. As for
Polly's ironing of underwear, I do all of the ironing of clothes, in
the house. But I assure you, I don't iron my own underwear. I do know
a woman who irons all of her bed linen, sheets and pillowcases. I say
whatever rings your bell.

John
Old July 10th 09, 12:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Victoria Bailey

On Jul 9, 8:54*pm, Mary wrote:
Am I one of a dying breed? *I enjoy piecing and quilting completely by
hand. *I have 3 sewing machines, all working very nicely, but really
prefer to do everything by hand even though it takes a lot longer. *My
only "modern" thing is that I use a rotary cutter and mat. *Otherwise
I could probably be sitting on a log bench outside a log cabin . . .
So, are there others who love hand work and shun their sewing
machines?

Mary, I'm like you. I have two perfectly good sewing machines, but I
do most of my quilts by hand. The only exception is baby quilts, as
those are usually going to be loved to death and dragged on the floor
a lot. But all of my other quilts are hand pieced and hand quilted. As
I've often said, it's the process, not the product. My cardiologist
actually told me that it was good for my heart, too! Apparently hand
work releases some chemical in the brain, making us relaxed and calm.
Who knew?
Old July 10th 09, 12:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sarah Dixon

I only hand piece and quilt, I can take it where ever I want. As for
ironing, I've told my husband that our iron only works on patchwork it
won't work on clothes! Life is just too short for ironing, when there
are far more interesting things to be doing!

Sarah
Old July 10th 09, 01:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

Welcome Ellen! (I often note that when a lurker can't stand being
silent any longer, it's in response to something Polly said.)
I like a bit of handwork in front of the TV too, and always have a
hand piecing project to take along on trips.
And I iron sheets.
Roberta in D

Old July 10th 09, 02:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Tia Mary

Mary wrote:

Am I one of a dying breed? I enjoy piecing and quilting completely by
hand. I have 3 sewing machines, all working very nicely, but really
prefer to do everything by hand even though it takes a lot longer. My
only "modern" thing is that I use a rotary cutter and mat. Otherwise
I could probably be sitting on a log bench outside a log cabin . . .
So, are there others who love hand work and shun their sewing
machines?

NEVER!!! Of course, there are loads of people here do also do their
quilts totally by hand. I LOVE hand work, just not for quilts :-). If
I want to do handwork, I will do some sort of embroidery which I do *a
lot* of. I think the reason I am not interested in handpiecing or
quilting is because it is pretty much all the same stitch and that just
seems boring to me. With needlework, I get to do all sorts of wonderful
stitches with all sorts of wonderful fibers. For me, quilting is all
about the different fabrics and shapes, etc. CiaoMeow ^;;^
--
PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^ (RCTQ Queen of Kitties)
their whiskers!
Old July 10th 09, 03:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
amy in CNY

Welcome out of lurkdom Mary!

i love hand quilting, but have only hand pieced 2 quilts in my day.
i do remember my mom ironing my dad's boxers. back in the day.
needless to
say, those days are gone!

amy in CNY

english paper piecing vs ordinary hand piecing Hanne Gottliebsen Quilting 12 July 17th 07 11:54 AM
Hand Piecing/Hand Quilting mb from pa Quilting 6 November 23rd 06 06:46 AM
On hand piecing and crazy quilting... Dannielle Quilting 18 July 13th 06 01:11 PM
Hand Piecing teleflora Quilting 12 May 21st 06 06:46 PM
Hand piecing... Lina Quilting 14 March 13th 04 10:12 PM