Do women know about shrinkage?

Old October 14th 09, 03:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Alice in PA[_3_]

Default Do women know about shrinkage?

Yesterday I saw a young girl get jeans measured for hemming at a dry
cleaners. The tag was still hanging on them. No mention was made of
allowing for shrinkage! I wanted to jump in and say, please wash them
first. But, I really felt that the seamstress at the dry cleaners should
have done that! I just hope they added a little for shrinkage, and that
she'll be happy with the results.

--
Alice in PA
http://community.webshots.com/user/twosonsatpsu
"Musicmaker" wrote in message
don't know if 3" is the norm for quilting cotton - but it is for denim
jeans!

Musicmaker who only has 2 pair of jeans that fit!

Old October 14th 09, 04:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Dr. Zachary Smith

On Oct 14, 10:09*am, Tia Mary wrote:
Musicmaker wrote:
don't know if 3" is the norm for quilting cotton - but it is for denim
jeans!

Musicmaker who only has 2 pair of jeans that fit!

* * I don't have any 100% cotton denim jeans anymore but DH does. *Even
when I did wear them, I never had them shrink that much. *I wonder what
we are doing differently when we wash them??? *

Biting... hole... clean... through... lip... ARGHHH!!!
Old October 14th 09, 04:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bonnie Patterson[_2_]

I have one of those strange looking letter openers, with the pointy
part (plastic) and slot that contains a blade: everything is plastic
with only the blade being metal. Put what you want to cut open in the
slot and zip... it's open. We use it to open those vacuum sealed
packages.

Bonnie, in Middletown, VA

On Tue, 13 Oct 2009 08:32:07 -0700 (PDT), "Dr. Zachary Smith"
wrote:

On Oct 13, 11:07*am, "Polly Esther" wrote:
snip
Rice Krispie boxes that were about the size of our washing
machine. *

Wish I could find my cornflakes w/ dried blueberries in that size; I
can only get about 3-1/2 bowls out of a box. :-(

* * Now, if someone could please tell me how to get the @#$! *plastic
wrapping open without going out to the tool shed for some serious help.

FWIW, we keep a couple of boxcutters in the kitchen drawer and a
couple of exacto knives in the pencil jar (a BEA-UTIFUL antique
French's mustard [they originated here] jar I dug out of a jobsite
trench 30+ years ago...)

Doc

Old October 14th 09, 05:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

On Wed, 14 Oct 2009 08:10:59 -0700 (PDT), "Dr. Zachary Smith"
wrote:

On Oct 14, 10:09=A0am, Tia Mary wrote:
Musicmaker wrote:
don't know if 3" is the norm for quilting cotton - but it is for denim
jeans!

Musicmaker who only has 2 pair of jeans that fit!

=A0 =A0 I don't have any 100% cotton denim jeans anymore but DH does. =A0=

Even
when I did wear them, I never had them shrink that much. =A0I wonder what
we are doing differently when we wash them??? =A0

Biting... hole... clean... through... lip... ARGHHH!!!

*pats Doc on the head* There there...just think of the mass confusion
and hair pulling lip biting frustration as a part of better living
through textiles. (G)

Puh-leez ladies!
Surely you know by now that how you wash them after you get them home
is only a small part of how jeans fit!

I would lay money that if you go to a shop, and buy 5 different brands
of jeans that fit you, they will be in at least two different sizes
(maybe all five will be different sizes), and not one of them will act
like another so far as how they react to laundering.
One of the reasons I still half dry new jeans and put up with the
discomfort of wearing them dry. These days you never know what
commercial clothes are going to do when you wash them.

NightMist
--

Legolas is my house elf
Old October 14th 09, 05:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Dr. Zachary Smith

We used to have one of those around here someplace... it was shaped
like a little floppy disk. We can never find it... like now! :-)
Last I knew, it was right here in this drawer in front of me... no
idea where it walked off to, but things like that are common 'rounst
here...

Old October 14th 09, 05:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Dr. Zachary Smith

wrote:

Biting... hole... clean... through... lip... *ARGHHH!!!

*pats Doc on the head* *There there...just think of the mass confusion
and hair pulling lip biting frustration as a part of better living
through textiles. (G)

It wasn't that. I was holding myself back from making an
inappropriate (but hilarious in my own mind) remark/joke about what
the ladies were doing differently when they washed their jeans...
Don't bother asking - I'm NOT going to say it, publicly or privately!
Leave it to your imagination.

Puh-leez ladies!

snip
One of the reasons I still half dry new jeans and put up with the
discomfort of wearing them dry. *

Damn, that's hot! I'm calling my old lady for a date tonite! :-)

Doc
Old October 14th 09, 07:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN[_5_]

Tia Mary wrote:
Musicmaker wrote:
don't know if 3" is the norm for quilting cotton - but it is for denim
jeans!

Musicmaker who only has 2 pair of jeans that fit!

I don't have any 100% cotton denim jeans anymore but DH does. Even
when I did wear them, I never had them shrink that much. I wonder what
we are doing differently when we wash them??? I've always used warm
water to wash and "normal" heat & drying time for DH's jeans.
Regardless, on the first wash/dry, they do shrink but not as much as you
have experienced and it's never a problem for DH's jeans because he has
no legs - 20" inseam -- and it's virtually impossible to jeans that
length so I end up getting a 32" length. I wash his new jeans in the
hottest water possible but they never shrink enough and he has to turn
up the cuffs.
I'm not saying your wrong -- far from it -- just that I have never
experienced what you have. I wonder what we do differently?? I will
say that I have experienced near that much shrinkage when I have
pre-washed denim yardage. That stuff shrinks like flannel does!
CiaoMeow ^;;^

I suspect that the pre-washed/stone-washed jeans will not shrink as much
simply because they have already been washed after they were sewn.

Julia in MN

--
-----------
http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/default.html

Old October 15th 09, 01:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Tia Mary

Tia Mary wrote:

...snip.... he has no legs - 20" inseam ...snip....

LOLOL -- He does have legs, they're just short -- honest!! He's
about 5'8" with a 30" inseam! Poor DH -- if his legs matched the rest
of his body (35" long sleeve shirts and stuff like polos need to be
about 3" longer to fit properly) he'd be at least 6'0".

PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^ (RCTQ Queen of Kitties)
their whiskers!
Visit my Photo albums at http://community.webshots.com/user/tiamary
Old October 15th 09, 05:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

I'm thinking Legolas ought to start doing your laundry ;-)
Roberta in D

Old October 15th 09, 07:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Dr. Zachary Smith

On Oct 15, 12:43*pm, Roberta Roberta@Home wrote:
I'm thinking Legolas ought to start doing your laundry ;-)
Roberta in D

Not touching that with a ten-foot laundry pole, I'll interject that
one of DW's favorite coffee mugs that I gave her *eons* ago is *still*
a Barbara Dale: "Behind every working woman is an enormous pile of
unwashed laundry."

Doc

OT-Words Women Use LN \(remove NOSPAM\) Quilting 1 April 23rd 05 01:56 AM
advice needed: batiks fabrics & shrinkage Ann Adamson Quilting 3 June 17th 04 03:51 PM
ot -what women want in a man jennell H Quilting 0 March 31st 04 07:26 PM
Shrinkage/Machining? Noname Pottery 7 February 8th 04 06:43 PM
Calculating shrinkage GaSeku Pottery 8 July 16th 03 08:11 AM