hand piecing and quilting

Old July 11th 09, 06:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Default hand piecing and quilting

It was indeed a sight, I'm sure.

I replied privately to Polly, because I didn't think my response was
quite acceptable to a wider audience!!!
..
In message gZ26m.183060$DP1.164412@attbi_s22, KJ
writes
LOL!!! I wish I could see Pat's face as she reads this one!!

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old July 11th 09, 08:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Phyllis Nilsson

I'm with both of you.

Old July 11th 09, 08:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Phyllis Nilsson

So far so good. The tape goes on top of the bobbin cover with just a bit on
the sewing machine itself. It hasn't slipped yet when I removed the cover
to remove the bobbin. It was nice to get the right width of seam on the
machine for a change. I reallllllly miss my 43-year-old White.

"Julia in MN" wrote in message
My Elna has the bobbin in front of the needle. It's easy to flip the quilt
up over the top of the machine to change the bobbin. Can you position the
tape on the bobbin cover only so you don't have to remove it? Or use a
smaller piece of tape?

Old July 11th 09, 08:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Phyllis Nilsson

Polly, I have a 2000 Saturn and when the windshield wipers quit working, my
poor mechanic was embarrassed to tell me it would cost over $500 to fix
because you had to take the whole darn thing apart and the replacement had
to be bought from the dealer. He's been taking care of our cars for 22
years and I felt sorrier for him than I did for me. He hates buying
anything from dealers!

Designers . . . gotta love 'um cause we can't kill 'em.

"Polly Esther" wrote in message
Probably was the same person who designed a car we once had. The entire
dashboard had to be removed to work on the air conditioner. I'm just so
glad you decided to conquer that SM. Hand-piecing is lovely but sometimes
you need speed. Polly

Old July 11th 09, 08:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Phyllis Nilsson

That was my first thought. After spending an hour looking for the Post-It
Notes I decided to use the medical tape I had used for my husband while he
was still with me. Don't know if that was a good idea since it brings back
memories, but it is working so maybe it was what I should be using.

Yes, after going through all that I finally found the Post-It Notes! I'll
use them to replace the tape when the tape shifts or won't work anymore.

"KJ" wrote in message
Mark your line with a dot of marker. Then grab some Post It notes (about
10) to make yourself a little wall/dam to control your 1/4" seam line.
The Post Its can easily be removed to change the bobbin. And when the
bottom one no longer stick, remove it and use the next one.

Old July 11th 09, 10:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Mary isn't a newbie PAT. She knows all about you and your chocolate!
..
In message , Pat in Virginia
writes
Mary:
While I have been doing mostly machine quilting, I have been wanting to
improve my hand quilting skills and use that technique more often. This week
I was able to sew again (I had surgery about 6 weeks ago) and I got back to
a nice WH I started a while back. My original plan was to HQ this one. I am
glad to say that I added the borders, made the backing, and basted the
project. I will not be able to HQ for awhile; that would stress my shoulder
too much. So, this one will be another MQ project. Sooner or later, I WILL
pick up the HQ needle again! Meantime, I am enjoying my quilting however it
happens.

Pat in Virginia, Official Chocolate Taster of RCTQ

PS: Welcome to RCTQ. We have fun here. The only thing you really need to
know is how to have your chocolate vetted. Just send a pound or two to the
Office of the Official Chocolate Taster of RCTQ, in my Palace here in
Virginia. I will test and taste and report back via email. You don't have to
thank me ... this is my unselfish volunteer duty in RCTQ. A tough job, but
someone's gotta do it.

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old July 11th 09, 10:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy E

Default Seam guide hand piecing and quilting

Howdy!

On some machines I've used a band-aid in place of a quarter-inch foot.
Works great. One machine went out of here to its new home w/ the
band-aid still on it; no extra charge! (I gave it to a friend who
did not look at me funny when I explained what it was for. G)
The middle part (pad) of the bandage sticks up just a bit, acts as
a very good guide.

R/Sandy- I'm cheap but I'm easy ...

On 7/11/09 2:43 PM, in article
, "Phyllis Nilsson"

Old July 12th 09, 12:16 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

The good thing about the Post Its is they won't leave as much residual
adhesive as many kinds of tape. Painters tape works well too. I've seen a
demo of taking an exacto -type knife and slicing through several layers of
painters tape about two inches apart. Then peel off that "stack" and use as
the "dam/fence".

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi

Old July 12th 09, 04:12 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
teleflora

"Phyllis Nilsson" wrote in message
I'm with both of you.

My toilets haven't been cleaned in weeks, but I walk out of this house with
my head held high.

Cindy

Old July 12th 09, 05:44 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
J*

that would be reaching for fresh air in the ozone layer then.
j.

"teleflora" wrote...
My toilets haven't been cleaned in weeks, but I walk out of this house with
my head held high.

Cindy

english paper piecing vs ordinary hand piecing Hanne Gottliebsen Quilting 12 July 17th 07 11:54 AM
Hand Piecing/Hand Quilting mb from pa Quilting 6 November 23rd 06 06:46 AM
On hand piecing and crazy quilting... Dannielle Quilting 18 July 13th 06 01:11 PM
Hand Piecing teleflora Quilting 12 May 21st 06 06:46 PM
Hand piecing... Lina Quilting 14 March 13th 04 10:12 PM