GlazeChem

Old August 7th 03, 02:01 PM
Sam

Default GlazeChem

Downloaded and looking at GlazeChem Ver 2.1
Looks pretty good, any other users of this software?, should I pay the
money.

Thanks in advance. Sam

Old August 7th 03, 08:12 PM
Uncle John

"Sam" wrote in news:E4sYa.19278$bo1.17153@news-
server.bigpond.net.au:

Downloaded and looking at GlazeChem Ver 2.1
Looks pretty good, any other users of this software?, should I pay the
money.

Thanks in advance. Sam

Get Matrix

URLS:
Matrix Glaze Softwa
http://www.Matrix2000.co.nz
Glaze Chemistry Instruction:
http://www.Matrix2000.co.nz/GlazeTeach/Index.htm
New Zealand Society of Potters website:
http://www.nzPotters.com

Regards

JW
Old August 8th 03, 09:16 AM
Sam

Have downloaded Matrix and have had a quick look, at the moment GlazeChem
seems easier to understand.
I was able to download and use a 28 page GlazeChem tutorial(printed) which
is great, however a lot of the content of GlazeChem seems to be quiet a few
years old(4 to 8), but it does seem to be easy to use, and easy to add
personal info to.
I will play with Matrix over the next few days, being situated in Australia,
Matrix would be nice as I live in Australia and closer to home feels secure.
QUESTION: Glaze database, does anyone share there database of glaze
recieps's associated with this software. That would be a big deciding factor
in the choice.

Sam

Old August 8th 03, 06:08 PM
Cee White

GlazeChem gave me access to at least three huge glaze databases. I
can't check it out right now but if you don't see how to do it, let me
know.

The following is from the "Help/Contents/Miscellaneous/About the
GlazeBase Project" ...........
The GlazeBase project was started by Bob Feder in 1992. The GlazeBase
group hopes to establish an international database of well-documented
glaze recipes. This database of glazes will serve both as a source for
recipes for educational and studio use, and also as a valuable
resource for historical and technical glaze research. For the most
recent GlazeBase files and information, check the GlazeBase Page at

http://www.dinoclay.com/glazebase/

I contacted Robert J. Wilt, the designer of GlazeChem, at the above
website with questions. He was great with prompt and easy to
understand answers.

Enjoy,
Catherine

Old August 9th 03, 01:04 AM
Uncle John

Cee White wrote in
:

"Sam" wrote in message
Downloaded and looking at GlazeChem Ver 2.1

To the glaze fiends out there,

Any glaze program is a waste of time unless you are prepared to put the
necessary hours of work and firing into glaze testing.

Glaze databases and book recipes are nothing more than lists of glazes
that may or may not have worked for the person who has published them. I
suggest that you go to digitalfire.com and read about trying to use
published glaze recipes. Recipes don't travel.

I have been using Matrix. (I have no doubt that other glaze programmes
are just as effective) for six months now. I have developed a cone 6 base
clear glaze from the digitalfire 20,20,20,20,20 recipe. I have also
adjusted other glazes and used this programme to fit local materials or
what I have in my own stocks of minerals. Its surprising how you can use
up old stock.

If you are using a particular mineral which is not in the database you
can enter it in to the system and use it

Where the Matrix programme excels is the module on line, cross blend,
triaxial and quadaxial blends.

I am presently working on a triaxial blend of iron, rutile and and borax
to achieve better crystal formation. The corner glazes are developed from
Matrix and then the mixture amounts are given for all the blends. I am
afraid it is easier to see it in practice than try to explain it.

It is easy to exchange recipes. All you do is attach the recipe to an
email.

If anyone would like to enter into a glaze discussion please reply to my
email address, (this one seems to attract spam like
you've never seen) and I'll send you a more secure address.

Regards

John Webb