Time for another Roll Call?

Old January 29th 08, 02:29 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sally Swindells

Default Time for another Roll Call?

As Cornwoman wrote 'Now I want to
know more about each of you! Please tell!!

and we seem to have a flurry of new posters, is it time for a general
Roll Call, so that newbies can see who we all are.

So here is mine:

Retired to the Suffolk coast in England from Nottingham in 2001, so of
advancing years!

Two big children, neither still at home. Richard 33 has lived with his
girlfriend and her three children for 5 years so it seems pretty
permanent. He works in computers (thank goodness!). Rachel is 37 and
lives with her husband Tim, an airline pilot, in central England. She
has her own Personal Training business, but I think she has given up
having a beautifully slim and fit mother!

DH Mike is into ornithology in a big way - birdwatches, rings birds for
migration stats, does conservation work, so I am left to stitch! (and
garden).

QI Inspector No 1 is Hodge who is a white cat with a grey tabby mask,
hat, cloak and tail. He is assisted by 2 year old Mia (who is black and
white and would rather be doing other things), and her brother Kiwi who
shows great promise. Kiwi was supposed to be all black, hence his name
the New Zealanders will understand. However, he is a bit of a clown so
grows a long very fluffy brownish coat for winter, with a big
mane like a lion and an enormous tail. He retains his pitch black
face and legs though! In the summer he is black and short haired and
looks considerably smaller.

Have sewed for ever, lots of embroidery, but only started quilting about
6 years ago when my sister died and left me her board, rotary cutter,
lots of bits and pieces and small stash. She only had one or two things
unfinished but I thought I would learn to use the board and cutter so I
could finish her things properly. However.... the stash has grown and so
has the pile of UFOs - and I seldom embroider!

I've just had a sort out of my Webshots, so its fairly up to date. At
the moment I am concentrating on the 'Singing the Blues' and have spent
the evening appliqueing leaves - lots and lots of leaves!

Chocolate - officially nil as I am dieting, but ........ (Personal
Trainer is too far away to see!).

So .. open to everyone else!

--
Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~uk

Old January 29th 08, 03:04 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
maryd[_3_]

Married nearly 40 years with 4 adult children (ages 37 down to 28) all
married and 8 grandchildren ages from nearly 13 down to 2 (5 boys, 3 girls).
DH and I manage a hotel in western Oregon so work 7 days a week and when one
of us is not "on the desk" we are "on call". I started quilting seriously
about 4 years ago and have most of my quilts pictured in my webshots
webpage. Currently I prefer paper foundation piecing.

--
Mary
http://community.webshots.com/user/m...host=community

Old January 29th 08, 03:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Val

"Sally Swindells" wrote in message
As Cornwoman wrote 'Now I want to
know more about each of you! Please tell!!

and we seem to have a flurry of new posters, is it time for a general
Roll Call, so that newbies can see who we all are.

So here is mine:

Retired to the Suffolk coast in England from Nottingham in 2001, so of
advancing years!

Also retired but my years are so far advanced that they now look to be
retreating in the review mirror. Not married for more years than most two
couples put together have been. Children? I had my house sprayed but they
keep coming back. One QI, 19 years old who considers a good hard purr reason
for power nap.

If I was any further into the Northwest corner of the USA I'd need a
waterproof case for my passport.

I do not quilt, nope, not me......'cept this little Crazy Quilting thing
(CRAZY being the key word here) I seem to have been sucked into, stitching
little bits, embroidering that.....a few trims and beads, MORE trims and
beads.....seeking out charm packs...eyeing doilies when invited to
tea......checking out hair-bobs on the bus.....picking up buttons from the
sidewalk...wondering if that 5 year old would miss the ribbon in her
braid...are 4 sewing machines enough.....I need more stuff.....and
chocolate, and a cool cloth for my neck.....I need to lay down....NEXT!

Val

Old January 29th 08, 03:58 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny[_2_]

Hi, I'm forcibly retired by health. I was a newspaper reporter/
freelance journalist/public relations/lobbyist sort of career and
never had time to take up a hobby. My two boys (now 21 and 18 and both
still at home) took what free time I had, oh and my incredible DH (who
is a newspaper editor). But about six years ago I took a quilting
class with a friend. It was fun, but I didn't have time what with
building my own business. Then in early 2003 I was diagnosed with
Sjogrenn's Syndrome and Lupus after a wee bit of falling apart at the
seams. My mom sent me a new SM and I took up quilting in self defense
against self pity. Works most of the time. I now have lots and lots of
fabric and I'm a gadget fanatic and I love notions and trim and I'm
trying to learn to be a bit more artsy. Although I'm also still
gaining basic skills. I have long periods when I can't do anything but
fondle my fabric and read quilty mags. So when I do get back at the
sewing machine, I try to go like crazy. Ends up giving me plenty of
opportunity to learn backwards sewing. I just inherited a Pfaff
7570 with all the embroidery stuff but don't know how to use it yet.
And I bought a Babylock embellisher. Great fun, but I haven't taken
time to master it yet.

So I quilt. Don't sew. Not crafty. Have one dog -- Jojo. He's a beast.
I live in Washington State about 3 miles inland from Seattle. Love it.
I cannot imagine why we spent 20 years in Phoenix.

I love chocolate, but caramel is my preference. My passion, however,
is hot, sweet, strong tea with milk and a raisin bagel on the side.
Groan. Now we know why Sunny is chubby.

Everybody jump in. I love these lists!

Sunny
Old January 29th 08, 04:23 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

On Jan 28, 8:29*pm, Sally Swindells
wrote:

I'm John, 66 years old and happily married for 36 years. Both my wife
and myself are retired with one dog, Maggie, the Airedale, and no
children. We live in central Ohio, and at this time of year wonder why
we do so. I am a retired carpenter, woodworker, furniture maker, and
full time quilter. We spent most of our lives on the west coast, and
about 8 years ago sold out everything and traveled for about 6 months
until we ended up here, near where my wife was born. I also am an avid
bicyclist, but when the weather is as rotten as it is now, those bikes
stay in the basement and feel very unloved. We think of leaving the
cold snowy midwest for warmer parts , but just can't figure out where
to go. We have a lovely large old house, full of all our things and I
have my own sewing room which I love. I love it so much that I have
taken over the attic room and it is now the sewing annex. Where am I
going to find this kind of a set up, for the price that I can afford,
where the weather is nice all year round? That is why we stay where we
are. snow and all. Ah well, that's my story, or the short version of
it anyway. I am sure you will get to know me as time goes by, because
I love this group of folks. They are very welcoming and will do almost
anything for for you, for a small amount of chocolate.

Welcome aboard,

John
Old January 29th 08, 04:23 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate G.[_2_]

My turn???

I made my first quilt at 17 -- for my boyfriend (who later ended up my
husband! woohoo... still have the quilt!) No other quilting for years and
years. Did a lot of cross stitch tho. I am retired only in the sense that
with the last move... told DH (dear hubby)... I'll move if I don't have to
work anymore... and he bought it! I was basically a teacher in one form or
another for 25 years (started out in elementary school... then in middle
school... then at Ohio State University... then teaching computer software
classes and starting my own computer training and consulting business). Now
I'm a full time mom and wife... and occassionally teach a quilting class.

I've been married for 30 years... all to the same guy! We have 3 sons...
one in grad school at UCLA; one working and living in downtown Chicago; and
the baby (6'3 and 21 years old) is a special needs kiddo who will probably
be at home a few more years. I lost my first QI a few years ago (Charlie
was a long haired German Shepherd ... a great dog). After a few years... we
bit the bullet and added a new QI to the mix... Samson (now 1 1/2 yrs
old)... a yellow lab. He is still all puppy. You can see pics of Sammy in
my webshots album.

I started quilting in 1999 by taking a class titled "Quiltmaking by Hand".
I loved it -- but decided I wanted to go faster than that... and splurged
and bought a Pfaff 2030 (a real workhorse -- I LOVE IT!) Through the years
I have done many bedsized quilts and many wallhangings and crib sized
projects. I donate often to various charity raffles/auctions -- especially
the one that supports my sons disability. (They got my Harry Potter
quilt - -you can see it in my webshots album, too) About a year ago I
bought an embroidery machine (Pfaff 7570) on eBay -- but haven't figured out
how to make it work yet!

I am definitely a "left brain" thinker... especially in my quilting where I
do mostly very geometric, precise patterns (I freak out in working to make
points match... even making myself nutty!). I am in definite awe of those
creative thinkers who see their quilt in their mind's eye... and go from
there. Art quilts fascinate me... and scare the be-jeebers out of me. So
for now you'll see lots of traditional block type quilts. I also love paper
piecing (after all -- accuracy there is so easy!) and applique. My
needleturn needs more practice tho.

I am active in our local quilt guild and enjoy collecting fabrics, patterns,
and books! If I spent as much time at my sewing machine as I do on my
computer -- I would actually make a dent in that stash!

I currently live in Michigan (born in Ohio... lived in Pennsylvania and
Minnesota too!) I do love chocolate... especially dark chocolate (or
handfulls of Nestle semi-sweet chocolate chips!)

As for RCTQ -- I am currently the keeper of the HUG list -- if you want more
information on HUGS -- either post here -- or email me privately. Anyone
and everyone is welcome to participate in our HUGS.

Guess that is probably more than you wanted to know about me.

Welcome to the group! I have learned so much from these people... What a
WONDERFUL group of people!

--
Kate in MI

Old January 29th 08, 04:25 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate G.[_2_]

John -- where in Central Ohio are you? I'm a buckeye native... lived in
west side Columbus for years... then in Dublin. My mom still lives there.

What are your favorite quilt shops? I always try to hit a few when I visit
my mom.

--
Kate in MI

Old January 29th 08, 04:27 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Laurie G. in CA

I'll go next........

Married 25 years this next November to the most wonderful man who is a
strong supporter of my quilting habit. We have two daughters - 29 (A is
searching for a job as an ultrasound tech after going back to school)and 22
(L just graduated from UCBerkeley and is employed as an Art Outreach
coordinator for the City of Walnut Creek) and two female chocolate labs - 10
and 2. We are without son-in-laws and grandchildren, so far. My hubby is
surrounded by females. Bummer.

In my former life I was a die hard counted cross stitcher. I started my
framing business - Finishing Touches - because I hate to pay someone to do
what I can do myself. When I transitioned from needlework to quilting, the
same thing happened. I transitioned my framing business to a long arm
quilting business - because I hate to pay someone to do what I can do
myself. My webshots page shows a fair example of what I have done so far.

I love to quilt!!!! I also love to piece but since I have been in the long
arm business, my piecing time is rare. I go on an annual retreat with my
stitching/quilting/knitting friends ( we are the Twisted Stitchers ) for a
week to a rented house in Bodega Bay. That is when I get to do the majority
of my piecing... I love it!!! We are also knitters tho some are better at it
than I.......

My hubby is planning to retire in the next year or so and then we will be
moving to Northern California (near Oregon) to the house we are building. A
time in my life I am looking forward to. We both are healthy and have many
plans for our future together - which for me - include lots of quilty
things!

I have truly enjoyed belonging to this group. It is, by far, the kindest and
most friendly, loving group. I used to belong to RCTN yikes! They can be
vipers....no offense to those who belong. This is family.

Oh, and I LOVE CHOCOLATE!!! Especially Snickers bars and Scharfenn Berger...
I know, not in the same league but both are still good.

That's probably it for now..........I hope more of us speak up!

Next?......................

--
~~~~~~~
Laurie G. in CA

Old January 29th 08, 04:45 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Gen

I'm Gen-live near Columbus, Ohio. Retired RN. Married 42 years-1 son who is
married and gave us 2 grandsons. I do very little traditional
quilting-having to be so exacting drives me nuts. I like making quilted
jackets , vests, purses, etc. My first love is machine embroidery, which
can be combined with quilting if so desired. I've also found making
postcards is something I like to do. Landscape quilts are my main goal to
improve on-I love making that type of thing.
Four QIs: all feline. Persian, Ragdoll, Siamese and Himalayan-my babies.
I'm one of the strange people that love winter, and we just don't get enough
in this part of OH.
Gen
http://community.webshots.com/user/Coren920

Old January 29th 08, 05:01 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kiteflyer

My turn.

I am 53 and have been married to my college sweetheart for 31 years.
She is a 1st grade teacher and I am a traveling salesman. LOL We have 2
adult children, son 27 and daughter 24. 1 grandchild 3 months old. 2
QI's, a Bichon and a Chow/shepherd mix.

Started sewing in 1995 making kites. Made my first quilt wallhanging 2
years ago. Seem to be making more bags and purses than quilts. I own a
Janome 6600 and embroider with a Janome 9500. Bought a serger just
because last year and made 1 quilt using it.

I spend a lot of time making fabric postcards. I started teaching
classes at my LQS last year making postcards and now teach a purse and
wallhanging class also.

I was born in Detroit, and now live in Indiana, but spend lots of time
in northern Ohio.

I like dark chocolate and bright colors!

When not sewing, I like to ride my bicycle and play golf, oh and flying
kites!

Denny in Fort Wayne
http://community.webshots.com/user/kiteflyer54

/\
/ \
/ \
\ /
\ /
\/
\
\
/
\
\
/
\

Sally Swindells wrote:
As Cornwoman wrote 'Now I want to
know more about each of you! Please tell!!

clip

Roll Call Braves Fan Quilting 1 September 23rd 07 11:53 PM
Roll Call Patti S Quilting 0 September 23rd 07 05:01 AM
Roll Call KathyB in West Oz Quilting 2 January 8th 05 04:03 AM
Roll Call [email protected] Quilting 9 January 7th 05 02:15 AM
OT -- CA ROLL CALL BeckiBead Beads 51 November 12th 03 02:49 AM