hand quilting frame/hoop

Old July 17th 06, 11:17 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sarah Dixon

Default hand quilting frame/hoop

I am looking to buy a hand quilting frame / hoop. Does anybody have any
opinions as to whether a hoop or a Q snap quilting frame is better?
Also what is the difference between a simple quilting frame and a
tapestry frame?

Thank you

Sarah
Old July 17th 06, 12:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

I can only help with one thing, Sarah: a tapestry frame (in my
experience only) requires that the canvas be fixed to it in some way. A
quilting frame clips over the quilt and can be moved around very much
more easily.
..
In message , Sarah
Dixon writes

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old July 17th 06, 12:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
elspeth

I use a rectangular Q-snap frame (11x17 inches). I find it an easier frame
to place my quilt in for hand quilting and it is a size that allows me to
carry a project with me when I travel. This size gives me plenty of easily
accessible work space -- the circular frame I was using was hard to reach
into the inner areas of the circle. The edges are smooth plastic and the
chances of damage to the fabric are reduced because of this. I have seen a
large Q snap floor frame also and have considered purchasing one for use on
larger quilts but really do like the portability of the smaller frame.

Just my OHO.

Old July 17th 06, 02:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Toni Schneidt

I have both, and I prefer the circular quilting hoop. I used the Q-snap and
found it difficult to get it adjusted. I hand-quilt all of my larger quilts,
and love my hoop. My suggestion would be to just try both. It depends on
your comfort of use, among other things.
I know, not much help, LOL
Toni

Old July 17th 06, 04:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy Ellison Sandy Ellison is offline
Banned

Howdy!

My preference is a 12" round wooden hoop.
Like these: http://www.ericas.com/quilting/tools/hoops.htm

Altho' the first hoops shown here are flimsy & rather worthless for
quilting a real quilt (more of an embroidery hoop),
there's a variety of choices he
http://www.siestaframes.com/info/wor...s-contents.htm

Shows the differences and similarities in the frames.

Ragmop/Sandy

On 7/17/06 5:17 AM, in article
, "Sarah Dixon"

Old July 17th 06, 06:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN

Sarah Dixon wrote:
I am looking to buy a hand quilting frame / hoop. Does anybody have any
opinions as to whether a hoop or a Q snap quilting frame is better? Also
what is the difference between a simple quilting frame and a tapestry
frame?

I have both the quilting hoop and a Q-snap. I prefer the hoop, though I
do use the Q-snap on borders because it is easier to quilt close to the
edge of the quilt. I think the tension on the fabric is more even with
the hoop. I like to turn my work to change the direction of my
stitching; that sometimes gets a bit awkward with the Q-snap.

Julia in MN

http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/

Old July 18th 06, 09:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta Zollner

The only thing to do is test drive some different frames and see what works
for you! Maybe you could borrow from your friends.
Roberta in D