OT - Quilt Guild Games

Old November 5th 05, 01:25 AM
Diane S. Keagy

Default OT - Quilt Guild Games

Hello,

I am the program chair person for all of our meetings and would like to come
up with a new game to play at our Christmas meeting. We've have done the
Quilto game and many said it was boring.................so, I thought I
would tape the minds of many and see if any of you have suggestions?

Thanking you in advance,

Diane S. Keagy
Amelia Island Quilters

Old November 5th 05, 02:10 AM
KJ

No suggestions. We have some members of our guild who would rather chew off
their arms than play Quilto!
KJ

Old November 5th 05, 03:17 AM
Taria

I boycott every quilto meeting, at least the part where they
play quilto. That said lots of the gals really look forward to it.
My guild has done the strip poker too but I missed that meeting.
Interested to see some other ideas folks have too.
Taria

Old November 5th 05, 03:26 AM
Tina

Well, this is not a "quilty" game - but you could provide "quilty"
gifts. I'm sure lots of others here have played this game too.

Every Christmas, for our family Christmas party - we do the playing
card gift exchange.

Every person brings a gift. Families bring a gift for each child in
their family.

You have two decks of cards. As everyone arrives, you give them one
card from the first deck.

When you are ready for the "gift exchange" - you draw a card from the
other deck.

Whoever hold the matching card - gets to go up to the table and select
their "gift".

BUT - after the first "draw" or two - the person holding the card
"drawn" can choose to go to the table, OR go "steal" a gift from
someone who has already gone to the table to pick. Then the person
whose gift was "stolen" gets to go back to the table to select another
gift.

This gets really fun and really interesting - because sometimes there
is a gift that everyone wants really bad and people keep "stealing" the
gift. It gets really hilarious sometimes.

There have been some Christmases where we have had to limit the number
of "steals" to three per a person!

We have also played "Bingo" and the person who gets the "Bingo" gets to
go choose a gift. And same concept - if they Bingo, they can go take
someone elses gift, or go to the gift table to choose a new gift.

Hugs,
Tina

Old November 5th 05, 04:43 AM
Sherry Starr

We have done this for Christmas and on our quilt retreat, and everyone loves
it. Everyone that wants to participate brings a fat quarter or Christmas
ornament if it is Christmas in a brown bag. You sit in a circle, and put
all the brown bags in the middle. You choose someone to start, they pick a
bag, take out the fat quarter/ornament and sit down. The next person can
either take that ornament away, or choose a brown bag. If your ornament/fat
quarter is taken away, you can either pick another one out of the middle, or
you can take one away from someone else. You go all the way around the
circle, and it can get really funny when several of you want the same one.
The ornament/fat quarter can only be swapped 3 times. When the third person
gets it, no one else can take it away from them. We have also played it
where everyone gets a number, they call out a number, and you play it the
same way. The only difference is everyone has a number instead of sitting
in a circle.

Sherry Starr

Old November 5th 05, 04:53 AM
Marcella Peek

In article ,
"Diane S. Keagy" wrote:

Hello,

I am the program chair person for all of our meetings and would like to come
up with a new game to play at our Christmas meeting. We've have done the
Quilto game and many said it was boring.................so, I thought I
would tape the minds of many and see if any of you have suggestions?

Thanking you in advance,

Diane S. Keagy
Amelia Island Quilters

We had Linda Ballard come to our guild. She asked everyone to bring 10
- 6" squares of fabric. She then gave each table dice that had L, R and
C on them. You rolled the dice and for every L you passed one of your
squares Left for every R you passed a square to the person on your Right
and for every C you put a square in the center of the table. I think
each table had 3 or 4 dice. It went quickly and pretty soon only one
person had any squares left. The person left with a square got all the
squares in their pile and in the center of the table. Then, Linda gave
everyone a pattern made with 6" squares.

I found the dice at the local game shop at the mall. They came in a
tube with some poker chips. When I bought them the store clerk said
that lots of ladies had been buying that game lately :-)

It was fun and the game moved fast even with 7 or 8 at a table.

Also, one year we did a scavenger hunt. That was really fun. Each
month I read a list of 5 things they needed to find at their home to
bring to the meeting. I told them if they missed a meeting they missed
out because no one would want to help the competition. (also, the board
had agreed to omit the list from the meeting minutes but just say that
the next 5 items had been given) I had things on the list like:

Bring your oldest guild roster
Bring a ticket stub from any guild raffle quilt
Bring a quilt book by someone who has spoken at guild meeting
Bring a wooden spool
Bring a thimble
Bring a guild newsletter
Bring the ugliest fabric from your stash
Bring the oldest unfinished quilting project you have

and so on.

A team was whoever ended up at the same table together. Some things
like the ugliest fabric won individual prizes. I had given each table a
score sheet for them to check off the items the table had brought. The
winning table got a prize for each person.

The ladies really enjoyed it. I think the oldest unfinished project was
from the 1970's so that got a good laugh too.

marcella
Old November 5th 05, 05:04 AM
Laurie G.

Don't you just love Linda Ballard? Have you done any of her mystery
retreats? My stitch group usually does a Spring and a Fall retreat in
Weaverville. A few go to Mt. Shasta.

What you described sounds like a lot of fun. How many people does it take to
participate? We could try it at our next retreat in February.

Laurie G.

Old November 5th 05, 07:27 AM
marbles_2

As a new member of a quilting guild, I'm eager to learn all the
different things that go on. I've made a quilted nametag, and done
show-n-share, and know that there are friendship quilt squares, fat
quarter drawings, and various charity projects. ...... but so far I
haven't encountered Quilto. Should I be afraid? How is it played???
(This way I'll know when it's a good time to politely excuse myself, or
just stay for the action.)

Annie

Old November 5th 05, 08:50 AM
Kate G.

Isn't is just a bingo card with quilto at the top Qu I L T O (the Qu
combined so you still have 5 columns.) Then instead of numbers in the grid,
you have a variety of quilt block names....

I think that is it! If not -- somebody else educate me too!

Kate in MI

ups.com...