Oops! How to repair small hole in quilt top

Old October 17th 05, 01:02 AM
Bob & Kathleen

Default Oops! How to repair small hole in quilt top

I have been working on a wholecloth for about 2 years. Finally finished
and realized that at some time I clipped too close to the fabric and has
a cut about 1/4 long. Not near a quilting line. Any ideas of how to
perform an invisible mend?

Bob in TX
Old October 17th 05, 03:10 AM
Polly Esther

It might be that you can remove some threads from the edges to use for
weaving in and out across the cut and mend it. However - that will always
be a weak spot in your treasure. Would the appearance of the quilt be
destroyed if, instead, you embroidered your initials on top of the cut? You
could make them very tiny and use a thread that matched your fabric. Polly

Old October 17th 05, 03:52 AM
Cheryl

I have seen a whole cloth quilt repaired by applique of the same fabric over
a hole. The applique was needle turned to fill a small feather shape in the
quilting design. From three feet (gotta love that "Three Foot Rule" -
LOL) it was barely noticeable. Would that work for you?

Cheryl

Old October 17th 05, 07:36 PM
Sandy Foster

In article . net,
"Polly Esther" wrote:

It might be that you can remove some threads from the edges to use for
weaving in and out across the cut and mend it. However - that will always
be a weak spot in your treasure. Would the appearance of the quilt be
destroyed if, instead, you embroidered your initials on top of the cut? You
could make them very tiny and use a thread that matched your fabric. Polly

Polly, that's *exactly* what I did when I accidentally cut my very first
quilt with a seam ripper. G I machine embroidered my initials over the
tear in matching thread, and it's hardly visible. If anyone does see
anything, they only see the intials, not the tear.

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1

AKA Dame Sandy, Minister of Education
Old October 22nd 05, 08:14 AM
DrQuilter

first I would slip a tiny bit of adhesive material such as stitch and
bond or one of those into the cut, face up, and iron in place.

Sandy Foster wrote:
In article . net,
"Polly Esther" wrote:

It might be that you can remove some threads from the edges to use for
weaving in and out across the cut and mend it. However - that will always
be a weak spot in your treasure. Would the appearance of the quilt be
destroyed if, instead, you embroidered your initials on top of the cut? You
could make them very tiny and use a thread that matched your fabric. Polly

Polly, that's *exactly* what I did when I accidentally cut my very first
quilt with a seam ripper. G I machine embroidered my initials over the
tear in matching thread, and it's hardly visible. If anyone does see
anything, they only see the intials, not the tear.

--
Dr. Quilter
(take the dog out for a walk)