Not entirely OT -- sewing project woes

Old October 13th 05, 09:56 AM
Kate Dicey

MB wrote:

I never did turn cuffs !.... And I never mended socks. Although I always
used to mend my kids things I haven't seen
a patch on a pair of kids pants/jeans in years . Guess the kids don't
like
them mended either . Mary

While helping his dad build the shed the other week, James tore a 5"
triangular rip in the knee-pocket area of his favourite pair of trousers
with the zippy-off legs... I opened up the mesh lining along the seam,
placed a bit of fabric behind the rip and sewed over the rip in
zigzags... Then I stitched the pocket back in place and restitched the
lining seam... James is quite happy to wear mended breeks, but refuses
ones that are too small! Sensible lad!

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old October 13th 05, 10:02 AM
Kate Dicey

Phyllis Nilsson wrote:

When my oldest son was in high school he had a favorite pair of brown
jeans. This being the 60s he wanted me to patch them. By the time the
seventh patch was put in place I told him he was NOT wearing those
things to school anymore. The next time I saw them my daughter was
wearing them to school!

Hehehehehe! I put wedges of fabric in loads of pairs of jeans to turn
straight leg jeans into flares in the mid 70's... And a couple of years
later the lads wanted them taken out again when punk came in! And by
then rather than patching the jeans with flowery curtain fabric, we
'memded' the rips by filling the gap with zips!

Old October 13th 05, 11:39 AM
Roberta Zollner

I did turn a few collars and cuffs on shirts that DH just adored and would
have required amputation to throw in the trash. Mostly I just buy good
cotton shirts in colors I like and cut them up for stash when the collars
look ragged ;.)
Roberta in D, glad to have a large husband

"MB" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
I brought my DH's slacks w/ broken zipper to the sewing shop too !!...and I
used
to sew alot of garments and just now remembered that I used to turn the
collars on
his shirts !!..wow...that was ages ago...I doubt if anyone does that today
..or even
know that it was once done!...I feel ancient. Mary

"Julia in MN" wrote in message
Sandy Foster wrote:
All of that was good training for me, but I no longer make garments of
any sort. Gone are the days of making all of my two DDs' clothes and
underwear, as well as tailored suits and dresses for me to wear to
work.

I'm pretty good at figuring out how to do something by reading about it,
so I'm pretty much self-taught at sewing, though my mom did a lot of
sewing when her kids were small. I sewed a lot for my kids and myself
when they were small, but no longer do much garment sewing. I do still
make my own swim suits for water aerobics. The chemicals in the pool are
hard on them, and I can make one with about 5/8 yard of fabric and an
hour or two with the serger, so it is a real money saver.

Yay! When DD asked me the other day if I could repair the fly zipper on
DGS's school pants, I recommended the dry cleaner's repair service.
LOL!
I'll take quilting any day! VBG

Same here. When my son wanted the zipper replaced in his winter jacket,
I hired someone to do it and gave him the repaired jacket for his
birthday. He thought that was a great gift! LOL!

Julia in MN

http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/

Old October 22nd 05, 08:58 AM
DrQuilter

Default Not entirely OT -- sewing project woes

I did something like that with a pair of pants for sofi. didn't end up
with two tubes, but with weird horseshoe shaped figure.... wrong seams
aligned - I am with you guys. garments are not my thing...

Paul & Suzie Beckwith wrote:

Sharon Harper wrote:

ROFLOL! Someone else like me! I tried to make a pair of trousers
(labeled
easy - the islam type that go under a long tunic with a drawstring
waist).
I can do this I thought. Yes, pig's are flying everywhere because them
trousers never got finished. The legs were easy but joining them to each
other and the waist and the ...... Hurled itno a corner never to be seen
agains....

I once got carried away making a pair of trousers, and instead of
stitching the leg seams up singly, joined them together and made a tube
instead of 2 legs...

Suzie B

--
Dr. Quilter
(take the dog out for a walk)

Euro-Pro or Craft-N-Sew Sewing Machine Catherine K. Needlework 2 August 25th 05 11:56 AM
RCTQ FAQ July 2005 frood Quilting 7 July 8th 05 01:09 PM
Sewing Machine FAQ Diana Curtis Quilting 0 September 1st 04 02:30 PM
Sewing machine feet for trade, Singer and others. Dr. Landerstein Marketplace 0 March 21st 04 05:52 PM
FA: Abundance of Vogue patterns buck16 Marketplace 0 February 20th 04 09:48 PM