"biggie" quilt shows...do you enter?

Old April 26th 04, 02:42 PM
KJ

You are right Cindy. I think some quilters just need to get a little more
courage and send in an entry. I imagine the way the slide photos are taken
are a big part of whether and entry is accepted. There were several quilts
that my friend and I said, "it must have looked really good in the slide!".
Wouldn't a great guild challenge be to pick a specific quilt show, then have
members send in an entry for their best quilt?? That might take away some
of the mystery of entering, most would probably be rejected...but you would
be in the company of your fellow guild members... and you may get a couple
members' quilts in the show!!

Kathyl
remove "nospam-" before mchsi

"Musicmaker" wrote in message
There were quilts at Paducah that weren't any better than a lot of the
quilts I've seen at RCTQ meetups/show n tells. I think a lot of quilters
just assume that they can't get in and even if they could, they'd look bad
next to the competition. I don't think that's true, though. It is rather
intimidating, though, isn't it?

--
Cindy Bettinger;

http://photos.yahoo.com/cbet_99
http://www.one-eleven.net/~music/
http://simplymusic.net
"Ann" wrote in message
news5Zic.12366$i61.5715@clgrps13...
It seems to me that Paducah is one of the biggie quilt show

Does anyone here enter their quilt? And get selected or not?
Does a chosen quilt have to be absolutely perfect to be picked for the

show?
(in construction and quilting)?

I presume the competiton is fierce for getting a quilt selected.

Ann...........who thinks she would like to try........some day

Old April 26th 04, 02:46 PM
Debbi

Mickie Swall had a quilt at Road to California this year and she won! I fun
going to see it and then getting to meet her personally about a month later.

Debbi in SO CA

Old April 26th 04, 03:03 PM
Kathy Applebaum

I had a joint quilt that was supposed to be submitted for Paducah, but my
co-quilter spaced out on the deadline. She's supposed to send in slides for
Houston -- we'll see if she spaces out again. She's known for doing that.
*grin*

So far my biggest show has been PIQF. Everything I've entered has been
juried in. Since I don't make perfect quilts, I guess quilts don't have to
be perfect for that show. *grin*

Most juried shows are chosen from slides, usually a slide of the whole quilt
and a slide of some detail from the quilt. Since you (or someone you hire)
takes the slides, you have some over how that quilt appears, especially on
the detail slide. I certainly didn't take a detail showing points that
didn't match! LOL

Don't let "perfection" stop you from entering if you want to. The first year
I entered PIQF, my goal for the year was just to get up the nerve to submit
those slides. Actually getting juried in was icing on the cake.

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
longarm machine quilting, Queen of Fabric Tramps

Old April 26th 04, 03:03 PM
Kathy Applebaum

"Marcella Tracy Peek" wrote in message
When I grow up I want to machine
quilt like her :-)

And when I grow up, I want to machine quilt like Diane Gaudynski! LOL (But
I'd settle for quilting like Linda Taylor, really I would. )

Old April 26th 04, 03:09 PM
MelissaInNJ

A member of my guild had one of her quilts accepted into Ft.
Washington, PA's show.

I am entering one for the first time in NJ's QUilt show....They aren't
Paducah or Houston, but it is exciting to me as this will be my first
quilt hanging in a juried show!

Melissa

Old April 26th 04, 07:31 PM
Eli

So far my biggest show has been PIQF. Everything I've entered has been

Kathy,
What's PIQF?

Gina in IL

Old April 26th 04, 08:41 PM
Kathy Applebaum

Pacific International Quilt Festival -- one of the Mancuso shows.
http://www.quiltfest.com/activities.asp?id=7

Old April 26th 04, 11:15 PM
Kathy

Kathy should know. Her work is FANtastic! I saw one in person at
Lancaster. Well done, Kathy! 8^) Nancycog in MD

Thank you, Nancy....you're a doll!!

BTW, how's the hand quilting coming?

Kathy

http://community.webshots.com/user/katquilts53

Repeat after me......."Spray Starch is my Friend!"
Old April 28th 04, 03:37 PM
Denise Jameson

Hi Kathy!

Do you plan to enter this year's PIQF (2004)? I might be lucky enough
to go to this one this year, and I sure would want to make sure I look
for and see your lovely work.

Denise in Ontario, Canada

Old April 28th 04, 04:54 PM
Dr. Quilter

I am sure Polly was being sarcastic! )
I guess if you are not going to get bummed if your entry is rejected,
there is no reason not to try! DH wants me to enter my MQ in a local
show... I only entered once, and while I won no prizes (it was one of my
first quilts, not that my newer ones have a better chance) it was an
interesting experience, especially to get the feedback from the judges.
I learnt that while my fabric/colour choices were good, I had to learn
how to do my mitered corners in the binding better, for example.

--
Dr. Quilter
Ambassador of Extraordinary Aliens