OT Pastry Wars

Old November 22nd 11, 04:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Default OT Pastry Wars

It is just a very basic pastry, Allison. Should do quite well for a 2-crust
creation. The best thing about it is it works well for beginners. Polly

"AllisonH" wrote This looks like instructions for making a cooked pie
shell that you
fill later with fruit. Does also it work for a 2 layer crust as well? The
kind where the 2 layers of crust are cooked at hte same time as the
filling. I'm thinking apple pie (the favorite in my house). A different
crust would make for an interesting variation.

Old November 22nd 11, 05:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

Yes, plain flour. Pastry doesn't need raising.
Roberta in D

On Tue, 22 Nov 2011 15:22:56 +0000, Pat S
wrote:

Thanks Roberta. I can quite think that it would be both too much water
and too much handling that have been my problem. If it won't mix, slosh
some more water in. I now have a food processor, so I could try with
this new recipe. I presume the flour is what we call 'plain flour'
rather than self-raising'? I can't remember what American flour names
are, at the moment!

I like the sound of 30 seconds, rather than a whole morning or afternoon
- major undertaking anyway g

The supermarket only had a couple of packets of my preferred ready-made
pastry. Perhaps it was a sign!!
.
In message , Roberta
writes
Of course you can! Here's a trick to lighten up European flour: for
every cup of flour, replace a tablespoon with cornstarch (or potato
starch.) I do this with nearly everything I bake that needs to be
light and crispy.
The main issue with hard pastry is too much water and/or too much
handling. Polly's is pretty fool-proof because it uses no water. And
you can solve the handling issue by mixing it in a food processor. Use
the butter and cream cheese right out of the fridge. Takes about 30
seconds!
Roberta in D

Old November 22nd 11, 05:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

Another trick that helps is to let it rest for a half hour in the
fridge before you roll it out. I dump the ball of pastry onto a sheet
of baking paper. Flatten into a disk about a half inch thick.Wrap the
paper around and let it rest. Then sprinkle a little flour on top,
flip it over, sprinkle a little more, and roll out on the paper. Makes
it very easy to lift into the pan.
Roberta in D, I am a tidy cook

On Tue, 22 Nov 2011 15:24:21 +0000, Pat S
wrote:

Oh, I get flour all over the kitchen, in my hair and all over my clothes
- but it is still inedible!! However, perhaps for not much longer ....?
.
In message , AllisonH
writes
I remember when I was first trying to make pastry. The recipe said not
to handle the dough too much. So I got all the ingredients ready and
then threw them together as fast as I could.....which was my way of not
handling the dough too much. There was flour all over the kitchen but
the crust was edible! LOL
Allison

Old November 22nd 11, 06:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat S

Thank you - I'm such a great cook gg
..
In message , Roberta
writes

--
Best Regards
Pat on the Green
Old November 22nd 11, 06:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat S

Ah! Another little trick. I have 'rested' it in the fridge, but only
in the lump as it comes out of the mixing bowl. Who knows: my cooking
reputation might change as a result of this thread! Thanks everyone.

A little trick from me? Wow!: roll the ready pastry round the rolling
pin, hold it over the cooking pie tin and unroll it from the rolling pin
- no lifting!
..
In message , Roberta
writes

Old November 22nd 11, 09:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Alice in PA[_3_]

I also mix my pie crust in my food processor. I "crumble" the shortening,
salt and flour first, then add ice water, and "pulse" until it just forms a
ball. It really works great! My husband never could stand store-bought pie
crust. Now I think I've caught that "disease"!

--
Alice in PA
http://community.webshots.com/user/twosonsatpsu
"Roberta" Roberta@Home wrote in message
Of course you can! Here's a trick to lighten up European flour: for
every cup of flour, replace a tablespoon with cornstarch (or potato
starch.) I do this with nearly everything I bake that needs to be
light and crispy.
The main issue with hard pastry is too much water and/or too much
handling. Polly's is pretty fool-proof because it uses no water. And
you can solve the handling issue by mixing it in a food processor. Use
the butter and cream cheese right out of the fridge. Takes about 30
seconds!
Roberta in D

On Mon, 21 Nov 2011 17:48:41 +0000, Pat S
wrote:

Do you think it is just possible, therefore, that I might be able to
*make* pastry? I have been *buying* it ready-made for many years ...
... because you could pave a garden patio with mine g (sad but true -
I once made 'fool-proof' bread rolls from a packet mix that were so hard
my DH had to drill holes to hang them out for the birds - and they
ignored them gg).
.
In message , Sandy
writes

Polly, I also have a cream cheese pastry recipe, and if yours is
anything like mine, it's heavenly!

OT Video wars NightMist Quilting 4 January 13th 10 02:12 AM
Sock Wars Sarah Carter Yarn 33 August 27th 06 06:08 PM
OT - Store Wars Kandice Seeber Beads 2 June 12th 05 03:09 PM
WAY OT -- Star Wars 3 the black rose Quilting 1 May 25th 05 11:33 PM
Sarah Grace, the pastry queen, rules!! spampot Yarn 2 October 23rd 03 10:44 AM