OT Pastry Wars

Old November 20th 11, 04:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

Default OT Pastry Wars

I have seen more of my relatives recently than I have in the last thirty
years. After they get past the "My you are looking well!" or, "I thought
you were sick!" stage, they have tended to fall back on "What are you
doing for the holidays?" This usually comes around to cooking as a safe
topic for conversation, plus they can offer to bring something over.
Yesterday I had an Aunt, two grown cousins, and a cousin in-law descend
together, representing three different family nodes. Is it nodes or
clusters? clumps? oddball groupings? Oddball certainly describes much of
that side of the family well.
When we fell to talking about holiday cooking the poo hit the fan.

We got past the profound lack of poultry or pork products in my holiday
meals. (but Uncle X's Johnny has so many extra geese this year!" Could
somebody explain to me why grown men edging up on 70 are still Johnny,
Joey, Timmy, or Tommy?)
I skillfully directed the conversation away from marshmallows on squash.
Jello salads were consigned to the children's table, nobody killed anyone
when green bean casserole was mentioned, and there was no dressing versus
stuffing controversy. In fact I was praised as an innovator (all credit
to DH and his mother who could actually cook) for having dressing on the
table with no bird.

Eventually we got around to pies.
We got past most of the fruit and cream pies.
We swapped spice mixtures for pumpkin and had some spirited debate as to
the merits of canned pumpkin versus sugar pumpkins versus butternut
squash, and are neck pumpkins a butternut squash variety or a pumpkin?
Then followed a minor squabble over what color of corn syrup to use in
pecan pies that was quickly resolved by Blaming It All On Men.
Then came mincemeat.

If I had realized that mincemeat pie was a religion I would have
attempted to divert the conversation.
Apparently lattice versus solid top on a mincemeat pie is a whole
denominational battle.
When the in-law cousin said that a real traditional mincemeat pie was
made with puff paste instead of shortcrust, and one of the other cousins
agreed with her, I thought for sure I was in the midst of the Crusades.
Really, I was just waiting for the swords and armor to come out.
I foolishly attempted to derail the line of conversation by piping up
with the fact that I make a wholly vegetarian green tomato mincemeat.
Heresy! Mincemeat is supposed to have meat in it! or so I was told.
Of course my nefarious ploy did sort of work. After they finished
schooling me on what mincemeat actually was they fell to discussing the
various merits of venison, beef, and such things in mincemeat. That was
about when DH rode in to my rescue with a dish of my mincemeat for them
to taste. It was declared a nine days wonder because it tasted like
mincemeat
Then DH told them they should taste my gingerbread. The stinker!

NightMist
Oh yeah, they were off and running again...

--
I'm raising a developmentally disabled child. What's your superpower?
Old November 20th 11, 05:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

well, in our family if I don't make the pies they are likely to be store
bought
things. Nobody even much knows enough to argue. Glad you have your dh
there watching your back. : )
Glad you are looking well too!
Taria

Old November 20th 11, 07:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

And here I thought Thanksgiving was supposed to be non-denominational.
(No holiday without food, the foundation of all religion :-)
Roberta in D

Old November 21st 11, 01:59 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kathyl

"NightMist" *wrote in message

[...]

You are THE BEST storyteller!! I always look forward to your
descriptions of people and incidents. I'd like to be a fly on your
wall!
KJ
Old November 21st 11, 05:40 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

I was So hoping that you were going to ask for a grand pastry recipe. I
have one that never fails even a beginner and uses cream cheese. No matter.
I enjoyed your tale so much. Don't get to do that much here in the Swamp.
I can't seem to get them to try anything that doesn't begin with a stick of
butter and 1/2 cup bacon fat. Polly

Old November 21st 11, 02:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bonnie NJ

On Nov 20, 10:52*am, NightMist wrote:
[...]

I'd really like to hear about your gingerbread! One of my all time
favorites for Fall.
Bonnie
NJ
Old November 21st 11, 04:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

DH says is doesn't sound like they eat too healthy there in the swamp.
Paula Deen would be at home there and I could probably be really
happy there too. So I'll ask for your pastry recipe. I just use a basic
one. I don't do many pies here any more but occasionally I just need
one.
Taria

Old November 21st 11, 06:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat S

Do you think it is just possible, therefore, that I might be able to
*make* pastry? I have been *buying* it ready-made for many years ...
.... because you could pave a garden patio with mine g (sad but true -
I once made 'fool-proof' bread rolls from a packet mix that were so hard
my DH had to drill holes to hang them out for the birds - and they
ignored them gg).
..
In message , Sandy
writes

Polly, I also have a cream cheese pastry recipe, and if yours is
anything like mine, it's heavenly!

--
Best Regards
Pat on the Green
Old November 21st 11, 07:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

On Mon, 21 Nov 2011 05:42:58 -0800, Bonnie NJ wrote:

I'd really like to hear about your gingerbread! One of my all time
favorites for Fall.
Bonnie
NJ

That would come down to which one?

I am pretty sure DH meant the cookies I use for gingerbread Houses, men,
women, and animals for Christmas.
Even there I alternate between the recipe I like best, and one that uses
honey that DH is fond of. Of course with honey prices these days that
recipe may not be making an appearance again anytime too soon.

Then there are the gingerbread recipes that are cakes.
I have a favorite that is pretty standard, then there is my gingerbread
fruitcake, and my gingerbread apple upside down cake.

Let me know!
Or should I just post all of them?

NightMist

--
I'm raising a developmentally disabled child. What's your superpower?
Old November 21st 11, 07:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Cream Cheese Pastry for beginners

1 'softened' 8oz pkg cream cheese
1 cup margarine ( that's 2 sticks) (also softened)
2 cups flour
½ teaspoon salt

Mix cream cheese and margarine until well blended. Add flour and salt; mix
well. Form into a ball, chill.
Divide dough in half. Lightly flour a sheet of plastic wrap. Place half of
the dough on plastic, lightly flour and cover with another sheet of plastic
wrap. Gently, gently roll out into a circle.
Place in pie pan. Trim, flute, prick. Repeat with other half. Bake at
450° about 12 minutes or proceed with another method. The plastic wrap is
really not necessary for experienced pastry chefs but surely is helpful for
those of us who don't bake pies very often. Polly

OT Video wars NightMist Quilting 4 January 13th 10 02:12 AM
Sock Wars Sarah Carter Yarn 33 August 27th 06 06:08 PM
OT - Store Wars Kandice Seeber Beads 2 June 12th 05 03:09 PM
WAY OT -- Star Wars 3 the black rose Quilting 1 May 25th 05 11:33 PM
Sarah Grace, the pastry queen, rules!! spampot Yarn 2 October 23rd 03 10:44 AM