Cleaning my old Singer sm

Old September 15th 10, 08:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie& The Furbabies in MO.

Default Cleaning my old Singer sm

My poor ol' 1950 Singer 15-91 spent 3 years in the garage with Missouri's
heat and cold and high humidity. It has this thick, brown-ish colored,
sticky, greasy feeling film on it- it's much like the cooked-on grease you
sometimes see on the bottom of frying pans. Any thoughts on some thing safe
to clean it- that won't mess up the lovely decals or the black paint?

Also, I hear y'all talking about cleaning and lubing the old machines to get
them running well. Can somebody tell me *exactly* how to do it? Not just
'clean it well' but how do you get up into the innards, what do you use for
wiping and for removing the gunk, and how do you know if something up in
there needs help or special attention? What product do you use to lube it
and where? All the research I did some time ago really didn't say how to
get to the stuff- just a broad 'clean it' and 'lubricate it' statement. I
need very detailed specific instructions, please. Help?

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO

Old September 15th 10, 09:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Nancy2

On Sep 15, 2:09*pm, "Leslie& The Furbabies in MO."
wrote:
[...]

I have a "de-gunking" product from my local Ace hardware store that
removes baked-on gunk without removing a colored coating (like on my
electric frypan). It might be called, "Goop," but I'm not sure of the
name. You could try mineral spirits first.

Whatever, I'd hesitate to use it over the logo, if that's important to
you. In fact, most Singer sewing machines have no value at all (in
terms of being "vintage" or "antique" - the term "boat anchor" comes
up frequently). If you like it and can use it, that to me would be
where the value is, and you don't need the logo in order for it work
for you. That's just my opinion.

As to the innards, I'd take it to a pro....it may need some fine-
tuning and adjustments that you just aren't able to do yourself.

N.

Old September 15th 10, 10:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate XXXXXX Kate XXXXXX is offline
Banned

On 15/09/2010 20:09, Leslie& The Furbabies in MO. wrote:
My poor ol' 1950 Singer 15-91 spent 3 years in the garage with
Missouri's heat and cold and high humidity. It has this thick, brown-ish
colored, sticky, greasy feeling film on it- it's much like the cooked-on
grease you sometimes see on the bottom of frying pans. Any thoughts on
some thing safe to clean it- that won't mess up the lovely decals or the
black paint?

Tha greasy film may well be the shellac coating that holds the decals
on, degraded in heat and humidity. Those old machines were given a coat
of enamel, a bit like stove enamel or car paint, then the decals were
put on. They varnished over those with shellac to protect them. It can
go brown and craze or go sticky with time. You need to clean it off
without damaging the decals if you possibly can. If the decals are very
worn and one of the plainer, more common sets, I'd be tempted not to
worry about them vanishing if you just want a utility machine rather
than a palour decoration.

Also, I hear y'all talking about cleaning and lubing the old machines to
get them running well. Can somebody tell me *exactly* how to do it? Not
just 'clean it well' but how do you get up into the innards, what do you
use for wiping and for removing the gunk, and how do you know if
something up in there needs help or special attention? What product do
you use to lube it and where? All the research I did some time ago
really didn't say how to get to the stuff- just a broad 'clean it' and
'lubricate it' statement. I need very detailed specific instructions,
please. Help?

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO

Best stuff is plain ole sewing machine oil... Just smear the outside,
let it rest a day, then GENTLY swab off with cotton balls. It won't
damage any fragile decals. You can polish the oil off, then give it a
GENTLE swipe over with a barely damp microfiber cloth wrung out in a
solution of washing up liquid. If you have removed all the shellac and
kept the decals intact, you need to make sure you have cleaned ALL the
oil off before giving the black areas a coating of some new shellac to
protect the decals.

For cleaning and restoring the innards and other working parts, look
he
http://www.tfsr.org/publications/tec...machine_manual

It's the clearest and most comprehensive set of instructions for
restorung this type of machine to use that I've seen.

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old September 15th 10, 10:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Leslie, don't do much until you hear from Irene too. She may want to toss
in some other ideas. And beggin' Miss Nancy's pardon, but antique and
vintage Singers are both valuable and beloved. Tread gently. Polly

Old September 15th 10, 10:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
J*[_5_]

In fact, most Singer sewing machines have no value at all (in
terms of being "vintage" or "antique" - the term "boat anchor" comes
up frequently).

no value???
boat anchor????
so i guess they dont float your boat then.
the mind boggles.
boing boing
j.

"Nancy2" wrote ...

Old September 15th 10, 10:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

The one important thing is don't use alcohol or anything with alcohol on the
finished parts of the machine. Test in a hidden spot any chemicals you use.
So far as the innards. Oil might need to soak in over a few days to get the
parts happy and moving. Q-tips and pipe cleaners help. Put the parts you
remove in a cup or bowl or on a magnet so you don't lose them.
Taria
o.uk...

Old September 15th 10, 10:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

I enjoy these old machines as much as anyone but honestly I do have a couple
boat anchor ones. Some have been cannibalized for parts and others just
flat out abused. I have bought machine heads for $1 just to try and save
them when sellers told me they are going to the trash bin. I have 3 or 4
parked out in the flower beds because they really are spent but I can't bear
to toss them. They will never sew again and became parts donors.
Old vintage sewing machine should be valued and treasured but sometimes it
just doesn't work out that way. If I could find the abusers that leave them
out in the weather and such I'd like to smack them.
Not everyone has any care or respect for neat old stuff that was probably a
treasure to their grandma. : (
Irene is the pro. She really knows these old machines best.
Taria

Old September 15th 10, 11:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
IMS[_6_]

I use a product called "Tuff Stuff," applying several applications,
then follow that with a aplication of a good quality boot wax.

This process is detailed here by Graham Forsdyke, PPurveyor of Singer
Featherweights to the Gentry," and widely known in the vintage and
antique SM world:

http://www.singer-featherweight.com/.../cleaning.html

I've cleaned many a machine with decals this way and they come out
just lovely.

As to cleaning and re-lubricating specifics, here you go:

http://www.treadleon.net/sewingmachi...gmachines.html

-Irene

Old September 16th 10, 12:01 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
IMS[_6_]

On Wed, 15 Sep 2010 13:48:22 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
wrote:

In fact, most Singer sewing machines have no value at all (in
terms of being "vintage" or "antique" - the term "boat anchor" comes
up frequently). If you like it and can use it, that to me would be
where the value is, and you don't need the logo in order for it work
for you. That's just my opinion.

I disagree; just check completed auctions on eBay for machines that
are in clean, working, and tuned up condition. Esp. Singer
'favorites' such as the 15-91, 201-2, 221, 222, 301, 401, etc.

I have sold two Singer 'Red Heads" (also known as a 'Red Eye" decals)
on eBay - just the machine head with no motor or attachments or manual
- for over $200 each. More recently, a filthy Pfaff 230 (which was
given to me), which I thoroughly cleaned, adjusted and lubbed, sold
for over $300.

There are plenty of people (including myself) who value these old
machines, because they were made to last several lifetimes with a
minimum of care, unlike the computerized plastic wonders of today.

-Irene (who has about 70 vintage Singer sewing machines inc. 6 221s,
one 222, and 5 301s)

Old September 16th 10, 12:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
IMS[_6_]

Leslie,

I just remembered that I forgot to specifically mention two things I
use most often besides Tuff Stuff.

One is kerosene - it is a great gunk remover. I've used cotton
balls, q tips, paper towels, etc. but whenever I get a machine that is
REALLY encrusted with gunk (grease, nicotine, etc) I'll remove the
motor, any rubber bits, all wires, bobbin tire, etc. and soak just the
machine head in my husband's automotove parts washer, which is in his
shop and filled with kerosene. This unit is designed to clean engine
parts.

Some folks will use large Rubbermade tubs filled with kerosene for
the same purpose. (Leave these outside though!!!)

I've had machine heads so frozen up with gunk they wouldn't budge an
iota; one model 15 sat in in the parts washer for upwards of 6 weeks
and after that cleaned up beautifully and sewed like a dream. I
eventually sold that machine, it was so gunk free it so smoothly. The
kerosene dissolves all the gunk and gets into all the nooks and
crannies.

To clean just metal parts (non painted) such as the presser foot,
slide plates, etc, I use denatured alcohol on a qtip.

Finally, a dremel tool and all the bits is a GREAT thing to have. I'll
use my dremel and the polishing bit to shine up things like bobbins.

Some of these are probably mentioned in the Treadle on article but I
wanted to make special note of them as I wouldn't be without both!

wrote:

[...]

Singer 401 and 500 and Singer CG-500 McIntoshDonnie Sewing 0 October 12th 06 09:01 PM
Cleaning SM MAmadurk Quilting 11 May 30th 05 10:34 PM
cleaning out Gail M. Quilting 5 March 1st 04 12:53 AM
Cleaning Out Vanessa Stern Needlework 0 January 26th 04 06:22 PM
Vintage Singer OT More singer advice needed Pat in Virginia Quilting 1 December 9th 03 01:41 PM