Happy Dance - Crazy Quilted Silk Kimono Jacket

Old July 28th 09, 12:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Tia Mary

Default Happy Dance - Crazy Quilted Silk Kimono Jacket

Well, I'm just about finished with the quilted silk kimono fabric
jacket for DD. After reading the threads about crazy quilting, I
realized that both of the jackets are actually crazy quilted pieces!
Anyway, the jacket is to be DD's Christmas gift AND a surprise so I
won't be able to post photos until after the holiday. She and the SMDGD
often go to my Webshots albums and look through the photos and I don't
want her to see the jacket!
I ended up using even more fabrics on this one than I did on my
jacket. I also remembered to put a pocket into the right side seam so I
didn't have to appliqué one to the outside and cover up any of the
beautiful fabric design. My jacket has 18 fabrics plus the t on t
lining. DD's has 19 fabrics with a plain white lining. I screwed up
cutting out TWO or the pieces -- right side front and left side back
pieces. I had to cut the top part off of them both and then piece in
another fabric so that I could re-cut the top section for the sleeve
opening. That's why her jacket has one piece more than mine -- I only
screwed up one piece on my jacket -- LOLOL!
Of course, this meant that I had to dig up two additional fabrics
from my kimono stash (which was already put safely away), iron on the
inner facing, quilt the new piece with the dupioni backing and then sew
the pieces together and finish the seam. All of the seams are finished
with decorative stitching down both sides (except for the underarm
sleeve seam) and all of the seams have over dyed silk ribbon couched
down the seam line (except the side seams) to cover it up. I spent most
of yesterday getting the lining sewn in, adding the collar and then
finishing the hem. Today I will put on the cuffs and then I will be
finished and finished is GOOD :-).
All but five of the fabrics have butterflies. I have a fancy
schmancy embroidery sewing machine (Janome 9000) and it has a butterfly
stitch (it's about 1/2" wide) so the fabrics without b'flies got
embellished in some manner with this stitch. One of the large pieces of
the jacket (the right side back, I think) has a lovely fan design so I
sewed the b'flies on the scalloped top part of each fan section. The
four sleeve fabrics don't have b'flies so I used that b'fly stitch
combined with one of my little flower stitches to embellish both sides
of the seams joining the fabrics down the center. That should make DD
happy as she is a b'fly fiend.
Now I will have to pack it and take it to Lizard Land with me
tomorrow. I'll pack it up with other small Christmas gifts and leave it
stashed at DD's. I'd like to leave it hanging but she'll know what it
is. I'll just have to pack it carefully with lots of tissue so that it
doesn't get too squished over the next 5 months.
VBS -- I can not believe I have made another of these jackets! They
are extremely labour intensive and a total P.I.T.A. to make. But they
are sooooo pretty and I get to play with all those beautiful silk
fabrics and add all the pretty ribbons and stitches, etc. DH asked me
if I would ever make another one of these beauties and I said sure, for
a PRICE! If someone wanted to pay me $2,000.00 I'd gladly make another
jacket -- LOLOL! CiaoMeow ^;;^

PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^ (RCTQ Queen of Kitties)
their whiskers!
Visit my Photo albums at http://community.webshots.com/user/tiamary
Old July 28th 09, 01:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

In article ,
Tia Mary wrote:

[...]

Wow! Those jackets sound gorgeous, Mary! Hmmm ... what if you sent me
some photos and I posted them on *my* site for us all to drool over? G

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://www.sandymike.net
Old July 28th 09, 02:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Tia Mary

Sandy wrote:
Wow! Those jackets sound gorgeous, Mary! Hmmm ... what if you sent me
some photos and I posted them on *my* site for us all to drool over? G

HMMM -- that would work. Let me get the cuffs on and I'll get some
photos today and send them to you. Where should I send them? Perhaps
you could e-mail me and let me know, OK? It's CatWom7711 at aol dot
com. Oh -- and DH and I are considering doing the Vegas thing again
right after Christmas this year so if you are in town we might be able
to manage a meet & greet! CiaoMeow ^;;^

Old July 28th 09, 02:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Dr. Zachary Smith

Mary,

You're going to post a teaser like that and wait until X-mas to let us
see it?
Why, you sadistic little...

Sandy's right; I don't care who's site you post them to (so long as
it's not one of those PITA pop-up sites) but post pics (including
those details I'm having trouble visualizing) someplace, or at least
email them to me. :-)

You really got me with that header. Whilst waiting for the message to
load, I'm sitting here trying to visualize what the heck a "kimono
jacket" was...

Doc

Old July 28th 09, 06:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

In article ,
Tia Mary wrote:

Sandy wrote:
Wow! Those jackets sound gorgeous, Mary! Hmmm ... what if you sent me
some photos and I posted them on *my* site for us all to drool over? G

HMMM -- that would work. Let me get the cuffs on and I'll get some
photos today and send them to you. Where should I send them? Perhaps
you could e-mail me and let me know, OK? It's CatWom7711 at aol dot
com.

Okay, I've sent you a message!

Oh -- and DH and I are considering doing the Vegas thing again
right after Christmas this year so if you are in town we might be able
to manage a meet & greet! CiaoMeow ^;;^

*Wonderful*! How exciting! Do keep me posted -- I should be around.

Old July 28th 09, 11:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Tia Mary

Dr. Zachary Smith wrote:
Mary,

You're going to post a teaser like that and wait until X-mas to let us
see it?
Why, you sadistic little...

Sandy's right; I don't care who's site you post them to (so long as
it's not one of those PITA pop-up sites) but post pics (including
those details I'm having trouble visualizing) someplace, or at least
email them to me. :-)

You really got me with that header. Whilst waiting for the message to
load, I'm sitting here trying to visualize what the heck a "kimono
jacket" was...

Doc

This is my second jacket and they are both made from silk fabrics
from old kimono that have been taken apart. All of the fabrics were
gotten from e-Bay 90% of which made the trek from Japan. I have photos
of my jacket in my Webshots Sewing and probably also Quilts albums. The
jackets are the same pattern, just different fabrics.
I just finished taking some photos of DD's jacket. I tried to get
close ups of the little b'fly stitch. It's a bit difficult trying to
hold the sleeve out and get far enough away so that the photo is in
focus. I also took a few of several of the different decoratively
stitched seams. I've probably got 18 or so photos of all the different
elements and b'fly prints -- they are just too pretty not to display!!!!
It's all I can do not to add beads and bows and charms, etc. --
LOLOL! But this project needs to let the fabric designs speak for
themselves -- they really don't need any help! CiaoMeow ^;;^