A crafts forum. CraftBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » CraftBanter forum » Textiles newsgroups » Quilting
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Machine grease by Gosh!

Old April 7th 16, 11:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Night Mist
external usenet poster

Default Machine grease by Gosh!

So I was cleaning and oiling my machines today (always after the worst of the cold is past)and I tripped over the machine DD1 brought over for me to fiddle the tension on.
So I dragged it out thinking it was her Morse, but in fact it was her Singer 327.
I decided that before fiddling anything I would open the thing up and give it a good clean as I already had everything to hand.

DD3 was helping me, she has taken a job sewing bags and belt packs and knife sheaths and things for the military and is quite proud of how well she has learned to wrench a sewing machine.

Well we popped the top off the 327 and my first thought was, "Who on earth has poured motor oil and Guiness and sawdust all over the insides of this machine?"
It was a mess!
Clearly DD1 never cleaned it so deeply.
Took a sample of the gundge to DH and asked if he had any idea what it was. He tells me he thinks it is machine grease that has sat for a very long time, and the bits and grains are most likely just dirt and lint and such like that have accumulated over the decades.

DD3 and I are still working on it. We have had to resort to a toothbrush and alcohol to get the stuff out of the gears and things. We haven't even gotten the bottom off yet. Our first attempt at that demonstrated that it is very thoroughly stuck. I expect that getting into there will be a piece of work. However it will have to be done, if they poured that gunk into the top train we shudder at the thought of what awaits us in the bottom.

DD3 is having words about maintenance with DD1 as I type.
I reckon I will have a go at her later.
It is no wonder she prefers her Morse. I cannot imagine that the 327 worked very well all gummed up like that. Certainly the tension was the least of it's troubles!

NightMist
Ads
Old April 8th 16, 05:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bobbie Sews More
external usenet poster

Hope you are have good luck in cleaning up your daughter's Singer! Sounds
like it is pretty bad!
Barbara in SC

--- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: ---
Old April 10th 16, 04:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Looks like you have your work cut out for you in cleaning this machine which reminded me that I should clean my sewing machine too and change the needle too before my next quilt.
Good luck getting that bottom off.
Sandy$
Old April 21st 16, 03:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Night Mist
external usenet poster

We got her cleaned up and now she sews like a champ.

DD3 has made a deal with DD1. DD3 will go over DD1's Morse, clean it up, and do any needed repairs. She will also continue to do basic maintenance on it, and in return she gets to keep the Singer.

Pretty sweet deal for both of them.

NightMist