Machine grease by Gosh!

Old April 7th 16, 11:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Night Mist

Default Machine grease by Gosh!

So I was cleaning and oiling my machines today (always after the worst of the cold is past)and I tripped over the machine DD1 brought over for me to fiddle the tension on.
So I dragged it out thinking it was her Morse, but in fact it was her Singer 327.
I decided that before fiddling anything I would open the thing up and give it a good clean as I already had everything to hand.

DD3 was helping me, she has taken a job sewing bags and belt packs and knife sheaths and things for the military and is quite proud of how well she has learned to wrench a sewing machine.

Well we popped the top off the 327 and my first thought was, "Who on earth has poured motor oil and Guiness and sawdust all over the insides of this machine?"
It was a mess!
Clearly DD1 never cleaned it so deeply.
Took a sample of the gundge to DH and asked if he had any idea what it was. He tells me he thinks it is machine grease that has sat for a very long time, and the bits and grains are most likely just dirt and lint and such like that have accumulated over the decades.

DD3 and I are still working on it. We have had to resort to a toothbrush and alcohol to get the stuff out of the gears and things. We haven't even gotten the bottom off yet. Our first attempt at that demonstrated that it is very thoroughly stuck. I expect that getting into there will be a piece of work. However it will have to be done, if they poured that gunk into the top train we shudder at the thought of what awaits us in the bottom.

DD3 is having words about maintenance with DD1 as I type.
I reckon I will have a go at her later.
It is no wonder she prefers her Morse. I cannot imagine that the 327 worked very well all gummed up like that. Certainly the tension was the least of it's troubles!

NightMist
Old April 8th 16, 05:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bobbie Sews More

Hope you are have good luck in cleaning up your daughter's Singer! Sounds
like it is pretty bad!
Barbara in SC

Old April 10th 16, 04:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]

Looks like you have your work cut out for you in cleaning this machine which reminded me that I should clean my sewing machine too and change the needle too before my next quilt.
Good luck getting that bottom off.
Sandy$
Old April 21st 16, 03:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Night Mist

We got her cleaned up and now she sews like a champ.

DD3 has made a deal with DD1. DD3 will go over DD1's Morse, clean it up, and do any needed repairs. She will also continue to do basic maintenance on it, and in return she gets to keep the Singer.

Pretty sweet deal for both of them.

NightMist

OT Oh my gosh! NightMist Quilting 4 January 27th 11 06:45 PM
removing black grease? Polly Esther[_2_] Quilting 13 March 8th 08 07:04 AM
Oh my gosh! SteveB Sewing 3 August 7th 07 06:39 AM
hamburger grease sewing4you Sewing 8 June 26th 04 04:55 AM
oh my gosh - a great big HUG! Ann Adamson Quilting 13 March 29th 04 12:07 AM