Good Idea? (on topic ramblings)

Old December 8th 03, 02:06 PM
Karlee in Kansas

Default Good Idea? (on topic ramblings)

I started a new quilt last night. This morning I am wondering if I lost my
sanity.

I went a rootling through my stash and found my 22 favorite fq's. I have a
lot of fq's, but I picked my 22 favorites. Most of them were sent to me by
friends, one was a gift from my mentor, and a few of them were ones that I
bought at a *real* lqs instead of going to TSWLTH. I've been wanting to
make something out of them for a while now, but didn't know what I wanted,
and didn't think that I had the guts to cut them. Well, I started last
night.

I went to my favorite block site
(http://www.quilt.com/MainQuiltingPage.html NAYY) and found my favorite
block. The friendship star. Decided to go with that one because its easy,
only uses 2 colors, and it is fitting considering most of these fq's that
I'm using came from friends. Here is where the question of sanity comes
in. I'm not making them in the usual 6X6 size. I decided that if I wanted
my plan to work I needed a smaller block. Sooooo, I'm making 88 4.5X4.5
inch blocks. That means that every fabric type will be used 4 times
through the quilt. I spent roughly 4 hours figuring out how I was going to
coordinate the fabrics, then another several (lost count) hours cutting
little squares and rectangles, and compiling them into their individual
blocks. I only cut about half of the fabric so far. Got bored with
cutting and chasing the QI's away from the rotary cutter. So I started
sewing. I have sewn 4 little blocks so far. (pics will have to wait until
the batteries are done charging for the digital camera)

My living room has eensy scraps all over it (eensy meaning that they are
way too small to use) and a ball of trimmed thread big enough for the cats
to use it as a toy and subsequently unravel and scatter while everyone is
asleep. Again, I question my sanity in this endeavor. I'm still trying to
figure out how I'm going to quilt this bugger. Tying is quickly becoming
an option.

On another On Topic topic...I finished 2 of the 3 quilted stockings last
night. I got my new stocking done (the old one was no longer
acceptable....longish story), and I got DD's first stocking done. I have
one left to do, and hopefully I'll find the time today to get it done
(making a stocking for a friends boxer puppy). DH made the suggestion last
night that I start making them and trying to sell them at The Shoppe
(little gift shop here on post that you can take your home made creations
and sell on consignment.), or making other little projects to sell there to
bring in a wee bit more cash (be it my poly clay, painted wooden widgets,
painted ceramics, beady things, or other quilty projects). That one really
has my knickers in a twist...I don't know if I'm good enough, I don't know
if what I make will sell, don't know how to start pricing (I don't hand
quilt very fast or good, so I MQ everything now), so on and so forth. I
have toyed with the idea of table runners and matching placemats to take
there, as well as coasters (some to match the table runners/placemats,
others that are a set in their own right), maybe a WUH or two (those are
nice and easy to put together), or a lap quilt here and there, maybe even
some pieced pillows. Your input on the "make to sell" topic is appreciated.
Please tell me if my sanity is lacking in thinking that there is a remote
possibility that this would be a good idea.

Anyway, I'm going to go do my chores, then back to cutting and sewing.
Wish me luck!!!

Hugs,
Karlee in Kansas
Queen of Packrats

~~
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't
matter and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss

Old December 8th 03, 09:17 PM
Roberta Zollner

Good luck! Although I don't see what's insane about 88 4.5" blocks, sounds
lovely. Waiting for pics! Do you plan to alternate with plain blocks?
Sashing?
Roberta in D

Old December 8th 03, 10:33 PM
Diana Curtis

I think it nuts, but in a good sort of way. My idea of a fun quilt has 12"
blocks, sashing... fast, fast....
As for making money with your handcrafted items, two thoughts. Its hard to
do, especially when you have small children... second, once you start making
things for money it can sometimes take the joy from the craft, unless you
are lucky enough to build a following that loves what you do and you do not
have to consider the consumers preferences as much.
Good luck on all your ventures,
Diana

--
Queen of FAQs
Royal Peace Maker

Old December 9th 03, 02:09 PM
Queen of Squishies

I've never been able to make any money selling crafts. I think you could
sell some things, but I don't think you'll show a profit once you subtract
your supplies. That's what I've found. But then again, if you want to turn
those supplies back into cash, then that's a great way to go! I think hot
mats, place mats, table toppers, that kind of thing would be easy and fun.

Karen, Queen of Squishies

Old December 11th 03, 08:44 AM
Mystified One

"Karlee in Kansas" wrote in message
I started a new quilt last night. This morning I am wondering if I lost

my
sanity.

Lost your sanity? You're a quiltaholic, aren't you? It sounds to me as if
you're just ready for a new challenge, and I doubt anyone here will tell you
you're nuts, because we tend to enable each other!