From A Newbie: To Market My Cards?

Old September 1st 03, 07:41 PM
Jean

Default From A Newbie: To Market My Cards?

Greetings to you!

I'm new on this group and I was wondering if anyone could give me some
advice.
I love creating cards with Rubber Stamps and am considering marketing them.
Does anyone have experience with this, and is it a good idea?
How would I begin such a venture?

Any help would be appreciated!

Regards,
Jean

Old September 10th 03, 06:41 PM
Cathy Makela

Hi,

I have seen people list thier rubber stamped cards on Ebay with a few having
bids on them from time to time. One thing to watch for is your rubber
stamps' company's "Angel policy" which is its copyright rules for making
money on cards made with it's stamps' images. Some companies require thier
written permission, most are "Angel friendly" and as long as the image on
the cards is hand stamped and not mechanically reproduced or otherwise
altered or not made in bulk in an assembly line fashion, its usually not a
problem to sell cards with thier images. Stampin Up especially has a big
list of do's and dont's in thier card selling policy.

I too would like to market my cards in the next year or two so I hope this
helps. I also either take a picture of cards( birthday,wedding , etc..) I
make to give to people or make an extra copy for me for a future portfolio.
I am currently entering the odd stamp website card contests in hopes to get
my name out there if I win or at least get on a card gallery. Submitting to
stamping magazines might help as well. I think that will be good for a
portfolio as well.

Good luck,
Cathy

Old September 10th 03, 07:49 PM
Deborah

Cathy,

Thanks for the info. I, too, have been looking into a way to create extra
income by selling hand stamped cards and tags.

The majority of the stamps I have are Stampin Up, and I just read the Angel
Policy. Looks like I should consider designing my own stamps....

Best of luck to you all.
Deborah

Old September 10th 03, 09:20 PM
Cathy Makela

Hi Deborah and Jean,

This website might be of help. It lists Angel policies for all sorts of
rubber stamp companies and its divided into several categories for ease of
navigation. Its a good starting point but I'd double check with the
specific stamp company to be sure. It also hits some on Scrapbook companies
from the looks of it.

http://littlebit.com/angelList/angellistmain.htm

I have a book called HOW TO OPEN AND OPERATE A HOME-BASED CRAFT BUSINESS by
Kenn Oberrecht from 1994 that might have ideas. It's been awhile since I
looked at it. There are bound to be more current books out there. Also if
you do an home -based operation where people come to your house to purchase
your cards - make sure to look into your city's codes as they might have
rules as to how many customers you can have at a time , hours of
operation,signage, etc...

You can also look into selling at local craft bazaars or maybe teaching
rubber stamping at a senior citizen center or parks dept where they pay for
supplies or a flat rate or something like that. Or perhaps you can sell
cards at work during lunch. Or maybe even see about showcasing some of your
work at a local home town restaurant that you may frequent alot if they have
a display case. Or hey I just thought of this- maybe you can donate some of
yours cards to a charitable organization that accepts such things and get a
possible tax write off. Those are some ideas I have brainstormed but not
gotten around to actualizing.

Good luck
Cathy

Old September 10th 03, 09:46 PM
Karen Walker

Hi! May I suggest joining the Yahoo group called "greeting card
professionals". I, too, have been wondering where and how to market my
greeting cards, and some of the members of this group who successfully
market their cards gave me some great info.

Karen