here comes the tools now

Old December 10th 05, 10:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass

Default here comes the tools now

OK I've been bitching about the lamps from Korea, China, and Mexico for
the last 10 years. Then I was seeing finished panels with hundreds of pieces
for under $99 showing up at the mall. Well now you won't believe what I just
saw. Comfort grip style stick cutters, with the colored plastic handles.
Ready for this....... at the .99 cent store! One of those stores that you
see in your neighborhood or strip mall with all the household products,
electrical, shampoo, etc. Yes the Toyo type cutters we've seen selling for
about $30 bucks, for .99 cents each. The only drawback is that so far all I
see are the wide heads. Can't tell if they are carbide or steel wheels, but
I can tell you that they cut just great! Another dagger for the American
retailers.

--
"I'm not pompous and agrogant, I'm SNARKY"
JK Sinrod

Old December 10th 05, 11:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass

i have spent the day dealing with a) a woman who thought when i said 750,
she thought i meant $7.50. b) a woman saying her neighbor had just taken a
class and could make her a front door like 'that' . c) is this glass???
dunh... d) gee, how do you do this (got an hour or two?). and e) a kid
grabbing an apprentice's music box, tearing off an angel's wing and when
presented to the father/ son their denial even tho CLOSELY observed ! You
know, if the tools are half as good and a quarter the price, i think i may
have to 'adapt' and buy, and BTW the day i sell my **** on EBAY is the day i
have adapted AND died Brady boy! I have SEEN your stupid boats in WAL -MART
for 12$!!!! Does that make you proud? either you let them steal your
designs, or they ripped them off, or you hired them to re-create them. How
exactly does that fit into your adapt or die crap!!! my high -end customers
have not wavered and as for the ones that see price , not quality as the
deciding factor, well YOU can have'em ( but i think China will have you
bowing to them soon! how the heck are you gonna guarantee that crap you are
peddling???) !. **** your stupid little catch phrase, let's see how you
handle the law suits for crappy workmanship! They don't have to deal with
guarantees in CHINA or Mexico! How's Canada stand on selling faulty goods? m

Old December 10th 05, 11:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass

The Chinese knocked off my designs and distribute them everywhere at
prices too low to even consider trying to compete directly. So.....I
focus instead on making and selling higher end higher quality model
ships. They're still selling well.

http://www.debrady.com/limited%20edi...-side-view.jpg

At one time, we did production runs of stained glass lampshades - but
stopped when the cheap imports started. Instead of snivelling and
whining about the competition, I just move onto something different. I
can come up with fresh ideas faster than they can copy the old ones. We
now have a great selling line of fused glass suncatchers and are
developing a line of cast glass products. By the time the importers
steal those ideas, we'll have made our profit and moved onto something
else. I don't need more ideas - I need more time to implement them.

The cheap imports are powerful incentives to force improvement and
innovation - and an equally effective way to cull the herd. Adapt or
die.

Old December 11th 05, 12:39 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass

Living here on the U.S. / Mexico border, I've had to deal with cheap
imports for longer that I can remember. It's been a constant battle of
people whining about how they can buy stained glass cheaper made in
Mexico or China were someone may charge just a few cents to $5 per
square foot to manufacture. As artists we can't compete on that basis
and can only point out that buyers will only receive what they pay for
in the end and that they will see the same piece sold elsewhere.

It is indeed sad to hear the Chinese are stealing our designs and
distributing them as their own. It is the trade agreements this country
has with others that basically allows this sort of thing to happen. Not
only do these countries take American jobs and take our copyrighted
ideas to sell, our government does absolutely nothing to protect us.
This is a classic case of the tail wagging the dog.

Old December 11th 05, 01:06 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass

While you complain about low cost imports, DeBrady Glass will be
constantly introducing new products to compete. While you harp about
the "basement bandits", Victorian Art Glass will be supplying those new
aspiring artisans - and Glass Campus will be teaching them how to build
and expand their businesses.

There's still room available in a couple of the classes at Vegas.
http://www.glasscraftexpo.com/

or, maybe you'd prefer to attend online?
http://www.glasscampus.com

Adapt or die!

Old December 11th 05, 07:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass

i am just adapting! Actually, i'm just sick of hearing that jerk spouting
his 'catch phrase' which means exactly nothing to any real artisan out
there. We all know we need to constantly create new ideas so our old
customers can have excuses to buy more stuff from us (unless our workmanship
is so bad they would never consider a repeat purchase...)! Besides, Darwin
came up with the idea long before he did! and tho HE might argue the point,
plagiarism is NOT a form of flattery! He's not even creative enough to come
up with an original 'catch phrase'! m

"Moonraker" wrote in message
.. .

Old December 11th 05, 04:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass

"Moonraker" wrote in message
.. .

"Glassman" wrote in message
OK I've been bitching about the lamps from Korea, China, and Mexico

for

Is this the one you are talking about?
http://www.mcgillswarehouse.com/Item...emID=110140004

They also have the pistol grip and the brass handled ones.

Similar but it's 5 times the one I saw for .99 cents. It doesn't say if
the wheel is carbide?

--
"I'm not pompous and arrogant, I'm SNARKY"

Old December 11th 05, 04:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass

wrote in message
oups.com...
While you complain about low cost imports, DeBrady Glass will be
constantly introducing new products to compete. While you harp about
the "basement bandits", Victorian Art Glass will be supplying those new
aspiring artisans - and Glass Campus will be teaching them how to build
and expand their businesses.

Dennis I need to ask you again why you keep up this defensive and
adversarial attitude? Your business is in no way shape or form like what we
are doing. You are much closer to the Chinese than the rest of us. As far as
I can tell, we are all pretty happy and successful selling higher priced
products in the good old US of A. Why must you keep lecturing to a group,
that needs no advice about how to sell our products? Your clients are not
ours. How many boats do you need to sell to make as much as I do on a $2000
commission? I'm happy selling my one window, instead of 300 suncatchers.
Listen up.... each and every one of us can do what you are doing. Hire cheap
labor and mass produce a simple product, sell them at a profit, and when
they are copied cheaper, come up with another one. Been there... done that.
I used to mass produce cut tiffany lamp kits for Worden designs, crosses,
ethnic specialties, holiday suncatchers, so many more. I sold directly to
department stores and mail order catologs.
We now create beautiful stuff for much bigger bucks. Sure we bitch about
some things going on in the business world, so what? That's human nature.
It's not what you do to make a living Dennis, it's your superior attitude
and constant preaching that drives us crazy. Just be a member of the SG
community, and not tell us that you are the king of it because you can
adapt.

Old December 11th 05, 05:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass

" Dennis I need to ask you again why you keep up this defensive and
adversarial attitude? Your business is in no way shape or form like
what we
are doing."

Why do you assume you and your compadres are the only readers here?
Why do you assume everyone other than me does glass the way you do?

I teach Entrepreneurial Management. At the University Masters level,
at Las Vegas GlassCraft Expo, in our studio, at Victorian GlassFest,
online at Glass Campus......and on bulletin boards to anyone wishing to
learn. I have a very, very long list of people that email me to thank
me for my internet postings. I don't care....let's repeat that....I DO
NOT CARE what you or your antagonistic friends want or like. I'm here
to teach people how to create a business enterprise making and selling
glass art. I'm even doing free public lectures at Vegas - specifically
about how to do that.

You and your buds can bitch, whine, and snivel....about Chinese
imports, about "basement bandits", or about opinions you disagree with.
I DO NOT CARE. I don't post here for you and your bitch buddies, but
for others that are sincerely interested in becoming professional glass
artisans.

If you don't like what I have to say, ignore it. It's not posted for
you.

Old December 11th 05, 05:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass

"Dennis, thank you for your response. I learn something new and of
great value
almost every time you post.
Donna"

Here's an example from another board of the kind of response I get for
the advice you find so offensive.

Halloween -- planning for next year -- tools and tool storage LurfysMa Carving 0 October 31st 05 03:58 PM
Pumpkin carving tools Top Spin Carving 6 November 2nd 04 10:46 AM
Pumpkin carving tools Top Spin General Crafting 4 November 2nd 04 10:46 AM
Laying Tools Rhea Needlework 0 January 11th 04 12:14 AM
Glazing tools contest Robert B II Pottery 3 July 24th 03 01:32 PM