How Long Does It Take?

Old January 7th 08, 05:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Bernadette

Default How Long Does It Take?

On Mon, 07 Jan 2008 16:55:49 +0000, Maureen Miller wrote:

Sheesh, I've missed a number of posts here. I'll have to back up to catch
them all! ) Actually, if it's inside, I do it. But I don't have a
paying job so the thankless one will have to do. lol I asked DD to wash
the dishes one day and she said "Dad said I don't have to 'cause that's
YOUR job". After I got through with him him, well all I can say is that
the kitchen door has just never hung quite the same way. (vbg) And now if
I ask for help, I GET IT!!!

Maureen In Vancouver, B.C.

ROFL at that Maureen, you've just taken me back over 30 years to when my
two boys were young. I guess no matter how many "new men" we produce the
same old male attitudes prevail at times.

Like you I spent years (14 of them) at home while the children were young
before returning to (paid) work and it wasn't unknown during that time for
me to go on total all out strike until they sorted out their attitudes and
manners. The joys of motherhood! ;-D

--
Blessed are the cracked for they let in the light
Old January 7th 08, 07:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Leah

On Mon, 07 Jan 2008 16:55:49 GMT, Maureen Miller
wrote:

Sheesh, I've missed a number of posts here. I'll have to back up to
catch them all! ) Actually, if it's inside, I do it. But I don't
have a paying job so the thankless one will have to do. lol I asked DD
to wash the dishes one day and she said "Dad said I don't have to 'cause
that's YOUR job". After I got through with him him, well all I can say
is that the kitchen door has just never hung quite the same way. (vbg)
And now if I ask for help, I GET IT!!!

Maureen

Not only is doing housework thankless, it's backstabbing, too. Years
ago, I worked full time and took care of ALL the housework until I
overheard a family member stabbing me in the back, saying, "I know she
works hard, but *I* don't see it." This was said to someone we hardly
knew at the time. I was so steamed I confronted them and read them
the riot act but good. Now, when they complain, I simply say, "Well,
it's not like *you* view it as either "work" or "hard", so suck it up
and do it or else." I've had to stick to my guns, too. People whine
about no food, I tell them I won't cook until the dishes are clean,
and I've even insisted on going out to eat, because I'm NOT going to
do the job I delegated to someone else anymore. People whine about
clean clothing, I can't do laundry if it's not sorted correctly, etc.
I found you've got to be especially firm with males, because the
sexist attitude is unfortunately very much alive and well thanks to TV
shows in which the woman works a job and then comes home and "has
time" to do all the housework as well, like it's a normal thing to
expect us to have 2 full time jobs and no help from any other family
members. FWIW, it doesn't take more than once of them doing a job and
coming in the next day to find it needs it again to begin to
appreciate what they took completely for granted before. I heard
"But, I just cleaned this," the first time and I had to laugh. I then
told them, "That's what real life is like. Get used to it." And I've
made them get used to it. The family member never did apologize for
stabbing me in the back, so every time I think I should buckle under
and take something over for them again because they're trying to get
away with being lazy again, I remind myself of that and make sure the
work distribution remains fair to me.

Leah
Old January 8th 08, 05:05 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
[email protected]

On Jan 7, 3:43*pm, Leah wrote:
On Sun, 6 Jan 2008 14:00:18 -0800 (PST), Katherine

wrote:
And will your DH and DDs take over the housework while you knit?

Katherine

What, they don't do their share NOW? *I swear women's lib made things
worse for so many women, not only are they expected to work full time
now, they are still expected to do all the work at home! *Sheesh, I
made it perfectly clear that I'm not the only one living here, and
anyone else had better do their own share. *I refuse to cook if they
don't do dishes, because d*mned if I'm going to "wash them just this
one time". *It's different if someone is sick (because I don't cook
when I'm sick), but otherwise, uh uh. *Get off your lazy a** because
there is no such thing as a free ride! *

Leah *

Leah i admire your attitude ,,,, mirjam