OT - cold weather food and beverage questions

Old March 8th 06, 11:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default OT - cold weather food and beverage questions

"Debra" wrote in message
On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 12:43:19 -0600, "teleflora"
wrote:

I like my tea strong with a lot of sugar. Sweet tea! :-)

I can't drink it without sugar. DH says it is the same reason I don't
like
"his" wine. You know, that dry stuff that sucks all the moisture out of
your mouth.

Tannic Acid.

I like my wine to taste as much like Kool Aid as possible.

Cindy

We have the same taste in wines. I've got some lovely apple wine
bought from a local winery. They call it a desert wine, I just call
it wine. If you ever get a chance to try a meade, go for it. You
will love the sweetness.
Debra in VA
See my quilts at

My SIL brought some from Ireland. I didn't get any. :-(

They said it was very good. I have in my head that it tastes like honey. I
don't know why.

Cindy

Old March 9th 06, 12:49 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

wrote:

[...]

Proper mead is made only with honey. It doesn't really taste all that
sweet. Dry mead is wonderful. Meads made with fruit juices are
properly termed melomel.

Hm... I do know some odd stuff!

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old March 9th 06, 05:13 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

On Thu, 09 Mar 2006 00:49:28 +0000, Kate Dicey
wrote:

teleflora wrote:

I like my tea strong with a lot of sugar. Sweet tea! :-)

They said it was very good. I have in my head that it tastes like honey. I
don't know why.

Proper mead is made only with honey. It doesn't really taste all that
sweet. Dry mead is wonderful. Meads made with fruit juices are
properly termed melomel.

Hm... I do know some odd stuff!

And mead made with tea of any sort is metheglin.

See, you can get back to the start if you go long enough. (G)

NightMist
--
The wolf that understands fire has much to eat.
Old March 9th 06, 09:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Aha! now a mystery is solved... I have seen that in books and wondered what
it was but never could get the spelling right for a search

the amazing things one finds out here !

--
Jessamy
In The Netherlands

Old March 9th 06, 11:02 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

wrote:

teleflora wrote:

I like my tea strong with a lot of sugar. Sweet tea! :-)

They said it was very good. I have in my head that it tastes like honey. I
don't know why.

Proper mead is made only with honey. It doesn't really taste all that
sweet. Dry mead is wonderful. Meads made with fruit juices are
properly termed melomel.

Hm... I do know some odd stuff!

And mead made with tea of any sort is metheglin.

Not according to the OED. It's the anglicized spelling of the Welsh for
mead, usually spiced or with medicinal herbs. No tea involved.

I'm not surprised at that. Mead and metheglin were here in the UK long
before tea arrived from Eastern Lands along the silk route and by other
means such as tea clippers.

Can you still get Clipper brand tea? Haven't seen it in years. I have
seen those blocks of tea from China, in Chinese supermarkets here.
Oooooh, that reminds me - I have some Silver Needle White Tea from
China. Whittard's are right to label this 'the ultimate in
self-indulgence' at £12 a quarter pound!

See, you can get back to the start if you go long enough. (G)

I like Whittards instant fruit flavoured teas - the no added sugar ones
are zero WW points!

Old March 9th 06, 02:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Yep ... this is Encyclopedia Quiltania!
BTW: I can spell the word Encyclopedia with
out spell check thanks to The Mickey Mouse
Club!! Yea! (Yes, I know the Brits add
another Vowel, but we Americans didn't buy
that one!)

PAT in VA/USA

Old March 9th 06, 02:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Hey Pat, the Mickey Mouse Club is where I, too, learned to spell
Encyclopedia!
Barbara in SC and now FL

Old March 9th 06, 02:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Several years ago Jim and I were into making beer, we also made Meade. We
made both sweet and dry, the dry tasted better than champagne! And, the
sweet was ahh, wel, sweet!

Bonnie, in Middletown, VA

Old March 9th 06, 02:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default OT MM Club Memories OT - cold weather food and beverage questions

Barbara:
My friends and I liked it so much we started
our OWN club ... the Minnie Mouse Club (No
Boys Allowed!) We must have been early
feminists, eh??
LOL, PAT

Old March 9th 06, 03:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

On Thu, 09 Mar 2006 11:02:31 +0000, Kate Dicey
wrote:

NightMist wrote:

And mead made with tea of any sort is metheglin.

Not according to the OED. It's the anglicized spelling of the Welsh for
mead, usually spiced or with medicinal herbs. No tea involved.

And when you put herbs or spices into water to soak the tasty goodness
out of them you call the result....?

If you say infusion I shall have to spank you, point at your teapot,
and glare.

I'm not surprised at that. Mead and metheglin were here in the UK long
before tea arrived from Eastern Lands along the silk route and by other
means such as tea clippers.

Yep.
And further along the mead path, I made a braggot once that would
knock strong men to their knees while they were still begging for
more. I'll have to dig the recipe out and look it over again. I
don't often fancy ales, but a braggot is a whole nother class of
thing.

Can you still get Clipper brand tea? Haven't seen it in years. I have
seen those blocks of tea from China, in Chinese supermarkets here.
Oooooh, that reminds me - I have some Silver Needle White Tea from
China. Whittard's are right to label this 'the ultimate in
self-indulgence' at £12 a quarter pound!

twelve pounds for 4 ounces?!!! That had best be some awfully good
tea!
I haven't seen clipper brand anything. I have seen the pressed blocks
of tea with the silver or gold foil seals, but only online or at a
particular specialty shop in Toronto.

See, you can get back to the start if you go long enough. (G)

I like Whittards instant fruit flavoured teas - the no added sugar ones
are zero WW points!

We used to buy cubes that you drop into hot water to make an instant
tea. They came in all sorts of flavors. At the time DD1 was in
pre-school and she fancied the verbena. Her preschool teacher
actually came to the house to inquire about it. Apparently DD asked
for it in school and they didn't have a clue. She was incorporating
it into her play and they finally got curious enough to come over and
ask. Whenever they asked her she would just give them a look and say
"yes, I drink verbena" in that sort of superior way that only a three
year old can achieve.

NightMist
--
The wolf that understands fire has much to eat.