Ironing board material

Old December 5th 04, 08:17 PM
jtsnow

Default Ironing board material

Im making a large ironing surface (6'x2') to iron quilts on.
What fabric/material should I use and where can I buy material premade
specifically for iron boards or appropriate to use for an ironing board?

Any tips appreciated

Thank you!

Old December 5th 04, 08:56 PM
Lenore Lawrence

Nancy's Notions has the fabrics by yard. And, so does Joanne's
online........

Not too expensive either--about $5 per yard.

Old December 5th 04, 11:16 PM
nzlstar

for that big size board do you need to have holes in the board for any
dampness to steam away from the ironing?
just a thot tho, would also need good batting over those holes so theres no
dents in your ironed fabric when its finished, eh.
or maybe using the silver thermo fabric that one uses for hotpads would work
instead.
getting enough batting without being so padded that you dont get nice crisp
creases is a bit tricky too, lol. oh dear, you can see i'm not all that sure
what
jeanne
--
san-fran at ihug dot co dot nz
nzlstar on yahoo msg'r

"jtsnow" wrote...

Old December 6th 04, 03:14 AM
Polly Esther

I simply stretched that silver thermo stuff over my accordion fold old
cardboard cutting board. I held it in place with duct tape on the back. Not
something you'd want to use for serious longtime ironing but it is just
wonderful to slide it on the cutting table and steam a stadium-size batt or
whatever. I think that cardboard tool came from Hancocks for about $1. It
folds up and hides really well. Polly

Old December 6th 04, 04:55 AM
Marcella Tracy Peek

In article z9Jsd.41$9B.38@lakeread03, "jtsnow"
wrote:

Im making a large ironing surface (6'x2') to iron quilts on.
What fabric/material should I use and where can I buy material premade
specifically for iron boards or appropriate to use for an ironing board?

Any tips appreciated

Thank you!

I recently bought a Big Board which is 60" x 22" - so a little smaller
than what you are making. It came with a heavy canvas cover and a layer
of thin (like 1/4") foam for between the board and the cover.

I bought, instead, a miracle cover which is made from that fire
retardant, slippery material. It also comes with a different kind of
foam for under the cover. Dunno if you can buy the stuff from them or
if they do custom sizes, but their web site is...
http://www.miracleironing.com/

marcella
Old December 6th 04, 05:16 AM
Donna in Idaho

My DH built my ironing board. It's built like a book case with shelves,
however the top "shelf" - the ironing board part is wider and longer than
the rest of the shelves. I first covered the top with heavy duty aluminum
foil, then a piece of an old wool blanket, then some warm and natural (I
think - this has been a few years) and then we stretched the silvery stuff
you can order from Nancy's Notions snugly and DH stapled it to the bottom of
the top shelf. I noticed today that the silvery stuff is getting pretty
worn (I think I've had it about 5 years) - guess it's time to recover. We
did not drill holes in the board - that's why I used the aluminum foil for
the first layer to keep the moisture away from the wood.
--
Donna Aten, Coordinator
Project Linus - Boise/SW Idaho Chapter

Old December 6th 04, 11:55 AM
Rita

Hubby did the same for me. It fits my 6' table. Storage? We have it hooked
up to the back of the door in my shop.

--
Rita
http://ritasquilts.com

Old December 6th 04, 12:56 PM
bogus address

My DH built my ironing board. It's built like a book case
with shelves, however the top "shelf" - the ironing board
part is wider and longer than the rest of the shelves.

Photo? We're planning some improvements to sewing space here
and more ideas are always welcome - I can't visualize this one.
What do you do with the shelves?

======== Email to "j-c" at this site; email to "bogus" will bounce ========
Jack Campin: 11 Third Street, Newtongrange, Midlothian EH22 4PU; 0131 6604760
http://www.purr.demon.co.uk/purrhome.html food intolerance data & recipes,
Mac logic fonts, Scots traditional music files and CD-ROMs of Scottish music.

Old December 6th 04, 03:51 PM
nana2b

I read somewhere that you can use the tiles from suspension ceiling. They
are 2x4 feet. That is of course if that size will work for you. Then cover
with a few layers of batting and then Muslin fabric. It is also lightweight
and portable.

HTH, Linda