Graeco-Latin squares

Old December 1st 08, 02:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jack Campin - bogus address

Default Graeco-Latin squares

Anyone here made a Graeco-Latin square quilt?

We're thinking of making one for somebody whose mind works that
way (a composer who writes serial music). Something like this:

http://buzzard.ups.edu/squares.html

That 10x10 design was only discovered in 1959 (after nearly 200 years
during which most mathematicians thought it was impossible) and its
theory is pretty complicated. Should keep the recipient's mind well
occupied trying to figure out how on earth it works.

==== j a c k at c a m p i n . m e . u k === http://www.campin.me.uk ====
Old December 1st 08, 02:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

Cool! Sort of a sudoku. Shouldn't be technically difficult either.
Roberta in D

Old December 1st 08, 03:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Allison

Haven't made one but I think I might now that I know about them! I've
been collecting fabric for a quilt for DH but haven't figured out a
pattern yet. Since he is a math whiz this would be very cool to use.
Now I just need to check fabric yardages .......woohoo!!

Allison

Old December 1st 08, 05:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Fascinating!
I would probably spend years trying to get a colour pattern to work!!!
So, I think I'll leave this one alone g. On the other hand ... ...
..
In message , Jack Campin -
bogus address writes
Anyone here made a Graeco-Latin square quilt?

We're thinking of making one for somebody whose mind works that
way (a composer who writes serial music). Something like this:

http://buzzard.ups.edu/squares.html

That 10x10 design was only discovered in 1959 (after nearly 200 years
during which most mathematicians thought it was impossible) and its
theory is pretty complicated. Should keep the recipient's mind well
occupied trying to figure out how on earth it works.

==== j a c k at c a m p i n . m e . u k === http://www.campin.me.uk ====

Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old December 1st 08, 05:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Not difficult to make, but - as I've just written in my reply - how to
'pattern' the large square colours? Probably an unending task. A
scrappy-loving (or random placement) person (like yourself!) would
probably enjoy it - I would need to make *some* patterns at least!
..
In message , Roberta
writes

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old December 1st 08, 05:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jack Campin - bogus address

Not difficult to make, but - as I've just written in my reply - how to
'pattern' the large square colours? Probably an unending task. A
scrappy-loving (or random placement) person (like yourself!) would
probably enjoy it - I would need to make *some* patterns at least!

You can't. The pattern in that diagram is it, you can't change
anything (well, there may be a few more arrangements that fit the
problem, but at most 7 more, and it took a supercomputer 2000
hours of thinking to show there are no more than that). You could
use a different set of 10 colours for the small squares without
changing the basic logic, but permuting the colours so that red
and blue squares swap places isn't going to get you anything more
ordered.

In a sense it's the *least* patterned arrangement you can get.

We've picked out a bunch of saturated colours with subtle and
rather similar texture patterns.

This might have been a better thing to send into interstellar
space to say "hey, we're intelligent life" than what they put
in the Voyager probes.

==== j a c k at c a m p i n . m e . u k === http://www.campin.me.uk ====
Old December 1st 08, 07:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Ah well, then, I'll stop now- while I'm on the level g
..
In message , Jack Campin -
bogus address writes

Old December 1st 08, 10:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bronnie[_2_]

On 2 Dec, 05:09, Patti wrote:
Ah well, then, I'll stop now- while I'm on the level g
.
In message , Jack Campin -
bogus address writes

[...]

CD-ROMs and free stuff: *Scottish music, food intolerance, and Mac logic fonts

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill

C'mon Pat, where's your mathematical sense of adventure? You could
probably run this one up in an afternoon!!!big grin
Cheers
Bronnie
Old December 1st 08, 10:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Perhaps!
But, it's not the quilt-making that is the difficulty - it's the
placement. And, as Jack says that is almost the only possible way they
can be arranged, and as greater mathematicians than I (by a long chalk
I'm sure!) cannot find a way of altering it. I might try a x5 to see
how I get on - just drawing and colouring! But, don't hold your breath

I have a 1" Dear Jane extract to think about gg
..
In message
,
Bronnie writes

Old December 1st 08, 11:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
joan8904 in Bellevue Nebraska

On Dec 1, 4:37�pm, Patti wrote:
Perhaps!
But, it's not the quilt-making that is the difficulty - it's the
placement. �And, as Jack says that is almost the only possible way they
can be arranged, and as greater mathematicians than I (by a long chalk
I'm sure!) cannot find a way of altering it. �I might try a x5 to see
how I get on - just drawing and colouring! �But, don't hold your breath
�g
I have a 1" Dear Jane extract to think about gg
.
In message
,
Bronnie writes

C'mon Pat, where's your mathematical sense of adventure? �You could
probably run this one up in an afternoon!!!big grin
Cheers
Bronnie

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill

That makes my head hurt!
joan :

Latin Red Hot Pop Dance Wear [email protected] Sewing 1 January 6th 06 12:11 PM
Squares and more squares Sorceress Yarn 1 June 25th 04 04:19 PM
Squares sent Janise Ross Yarn 3 October 11th 03 08:53 PM
6x6 squares sent also Jacqueline Butt Yarn 1 October 2nd 03 07:21 PM