OT Whisks

Old August 14th 08, 03:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

Default OT Whisks

I love our whisks, my DH loves our whisks, we both hate how we store
our whisks.

Upright in a jar they snag and get tipped over, in a drawer they get
tangled with other utensils, the hanging hooks in my kitchen are
behind the stove (which is just dumb) and the space between the
cupboards and counter is too narrow to put new ones there.

How do you store your whisks?

I have been contemplating muslin bags to put on mine so they are not a
bundle of wires waiting to grab you when they are standing in a jar.

NightMist
--

Nothing has been the same since that house fell on my sister.
Old August 14th 08, 04:20 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_2_]

Making them little muslin caps sounds like a wonderful idea. You could even
get decorator cute with it, and it would keep them safe from cat hair, dust
bunnies, mosquito fingerprints and whatever unspeakables might come flying
through. You've reminded me of how badly I need to go through my kitchen
gadgets and shed some of them. Such as, I've had a book on how to garnish
and about a dozen interesting gadgets to go with it for more than 10 years.
Never used them. Perhaps it's time. Polly

Old August 14th 08, 07:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

I'm in the 'tangled in a drawer' group!
..
In message , NightMist
writes

I love our whisks, my DH loves our whisks, we both hate how we store
our whisks.

Upright in a jar they snag and get tipped over, in a drawer they get
tangled with other utensils, the hanging hooks in my kitchen are
behind the stove (which is just dumb) and the space between the
cupboards and counter is too narrow to put new ones there.

How do you store your whisks?

I have been contemplating muslin bags to put on mine so they are not a
bundle of wires waiting to grab you when they are standing in a jar.

NightMist

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old August 14th 08, 09:47 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bobbie Sews More

I have 2 whisks that I use often and they hang behind the stove top because
I only have 2 drawers in the kitchen. One drawer is for silverware, the
other is the junk drawer. I also have a coffee can I decorated and use for
cook spoons to stand in. I have acquired too many duplicates of cook spoons
that I need to go through!
Barbara in SC

Old August 14th 08, 01:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

On Aug 13, 10:53*pm, (NightMist) wrote:
I love our whisks, my DH loves our whisks, we both hate how we store
our whisks.

Upright in a jar they snag and get tipped over, in a drawer they get
tangled with other utensils, the hanging hooks in my kitchen are
behind the stove (which is just dumb) and the space between the
cupboards and counter is too narrow to put new ones there.

How do you store your whisks?

I have been contemplating muslin bags to put on mine so they are not a
bundle of wires waiting to grab you when they are standing in a jar.

NightMist
--

Nothing has been the same since that house fell on my sister.

Here is a thought that you might use. Make an wall apron, with a
series of pouches that accept the handles, for however many of the
whisks you have and then hang the apron pouch holder on the wall,
nearest the major use area for the whisks. You could be as creative as
you want as to color coordination and style but so long as you use a
flat stick across the top that is contained in a sleeve at the back of
the apron, it should be able to be hung up and lay flat against the
wall. A lovely quilted design would be quite a fashion statement that
is also useful as a storage solution. Of course something of a similar
style could be made out of wood, but might take skills and tools that
are not available right now to you. How about that?

John
Old August 14th 08, 06:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
teleflora

My big whisks go in the big decorative round planter that sits beside my
stove. It is ceramic and has an open basket weave type pattern. If you
wanted to put a plant in it, it would have to go in it's own pot.

My small whisks go in the drawer beside the stove.

Cindy

Old August 14th 08, 09:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy Ellison Sandy Ellison is offline
Banned

Howdy!

"making them little muslin caps" - Sweetie, you need a nap!
Or at least a tall glass of ice tea & a spell of sitting
in the easy chair beside the a/c vent. ... mercy!

When we had the kitchen countertops replaced last month, dust went
EVERYwhere, including inside closed drawers, soooo I went thru' all the
cabinets and drawers, pulled out everything, put back what was immediately
needed. The rest has been sitting here in 3 baskets... I think I won't
use most of it again. I'll sift thru' it once more (got to save those
jillion popsicle sticks!) before I cart it all down to the Goodwill store.
The whisks sit in the utensil crocks beside the stove; they don't get
snagged or scrunched up (don't put too much in the crocks; probably
don't need most of the utensils, anyway g). There are leftover
crocks, now, that have moved to the sewing table; I've been able to find
my rotary cutter ever since! ;-P
Too much is good for fabric stash, but not for kitchen stuff. YMMV

R/Sandy

Old August 14th 08, 09:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

I'll second that. Maybe long island iced tea?
I have a couple of nice pfaltzgraff canisters
that have no tops. They make great holders for
kitchen tools on the counter. They are big enough
to hold everything without too much confusion and
look nice.
Taria

Old August 15th 08, 02:24 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Carolyn McCarty

I just toss my whisks into a utensil drawer with spatulas, scrapers, wooden
spoons, tongs, etc. I haven't had any trouble with them getting tangled
with other stuff.

Perhaps my whisks are a bit anti-social?

--
Carolyn in The Old Pueblo

If it ain't broke, you're not trying. --Red Green

If at first you don't succeed, switch to power tools. --Red Green