Question for lampworkers

Old July 22nd 03, 11:52 PM
Tink

Default Question for lampworkers

I hit send too quickly...

I also meant to mention that only a tiny amount would probably be used in a
bead, unless one were to seal them in a vessel.

--
Tinkster
www.imeltstuff.com

Old July 23rd 03, 12:59 AM
Dr. Sooz

Me too, Tink. A lovely idea, Vicki.

Personally, I think it's a very, very cool thing...

~~
Sooz
-------
ESBC
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
~ Bead Notes: Beading information A - Z
http://www.lampwork.net/beadnotes.html

Old July 23rd 03, 02:04 AM
Tink

I think, too, that it's important for the person crafting such a reliquary
to do so with the appropriate reverence and respect.

Old July 23rd 03, 02:04 AM
Tink

I'd be honored to work with you on this... No charge.

--
Tinkster
www.imeltstuff.com
NEW eBay Sto http://www.stores.ebay.com/blackswampglassworks

"vj" wrote in message
vj found this in rec.crafts.beads, from "Tink"
:

]Personally, I think it's a very, very cool thing...

so, you'll do it for me?

-----------
@vicki [SnuggleWench]
(Books)
http://www.booksnbytes.com
(Jewelry) http://www.vickijean.com
-----------
The Bill of Rights - Void where prohibited by Law.
Regime Change in 2004 - The life you save may be your own.

Old July 23rd 03, 03:22 AM
Sue Lund

A few years ago, this very question came up on the AOL bead boards. One of the
lampworkers there had made a bead for herself with the ashes of her daughter.
I can't for the life of me remember who that was - sorry. Anyway, a lengthy
discussion of this idea ensued. If I remember correctly, a lot of people
chimed in that they would like to do the same, and I think a few pets ashes
were encased for people, too. I think it's a great idea - the beads were
beautiful. I personally couldn't do that to one of my loved ones but have no
objections with others doing it. It doesn't creep me out to think about it or
to see one, or anything. I think I personally could deal better with a pet's
ashes around my neck, though. Just some thoughts....

Suedo
(like "pseudo", though I'm no phony baloney!)
members.aol.com/suedotlund

Old July 23rd 03, 03:52 AM
Kandice Seeber

And I am sorry if I came across as harsh - I do totally respect the idea
and am glad that there are some lampworkers who can do it. I am really
happy Tink will do it for you.

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

]Nope. I never would do that - it would creep me out too much. I

understand
]the idea, and respect it, but working with someones ashes would be really
]really hard for me to do. Plus, I wouldn't want to expose my living area

]someone's remains whom I wasn't close to. And I am not sure how

hazardous
]it may be to use ashes in a flame. Sorry - I know that's probably not

what
]you're looking for, but that's just my take on it. I am sorry about your
]father, Vicki. (((((hugs)))))

understood, Kandice.
no problem.

when i think "lampwork" and "who might be able to do this" i always
think of you and Tink first. that's not a put down of anyone else -
just that you two are the ones i "know" best.

-----------

Old July 23rd 03, 04:30 AM
Louis Cage

I think this is a wonderful idea and very do-able.
Also, I am glad you have someone you know who will take the task with the
respect it deserves.

--
There are no mistakes, only unexplored techniques
"vj" wrote in message
as most of you know, my father died last fall. at his wish, he was
cremated. next week, my mother, brothers and sisters and i are taking
his ashes back to where his parents are buried.

because my children were so close to their grandfather, they were a
bit upset that his ashes would be so far away. so mom and i are
saving a little bit of his ashes for them. i was going to put them in
a sealed box.

my son just called and wanted to know if "one of those ladies you know
who makes beads" could seal the ashes in a bead that he could wear?
[he's afraid of losing the box, i think]

i'm not quite sure how i feel about it, except that it makes me feel
good that my children want to keep their grandfather "close". He was
the only real "father-figure" they had while they were growing up.

Kandice? Tink?

-----------

Old July 23rd 03, 04:35 PM
scaperchick

Oh, I hadn't even thought of that, but what a wonderful idea. I'm one
of those people who doesn't think it's morbid at all to have a loved
one's ashes turned into something beautiful like a diamond. I
personally think it would be great to become a diamond after I die -
I'd finally be worth some money!

Seriously though, as someone who prefers having tactile memories, I
think it's a lovely tribute to transform ashes into beautiful art. I
had my beloved cat privately cremated, and still haven't done anything
with his ashes (other than scatter some in a field he really liked),
but when I can afford it I am definitely going to look into some sort
of bead or vessel to store some of them. I think he deserves it.
Old July 26th 03, 01:32 AM
Barbara Otterson

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 11:35:52 -0400, scaperchick
wrote:

Seriously though, as someone who prefers having tactile memories, I
think it's a lovely tribute to transform ashes into beautiful art. I
had my beloved cat privately cremated, and still haven't done anything
with his ashes (other than scatter some in a field he really liked),
but when I can afford it I am definitely going to look into some sort
of bead or vessel to store some of them. I think he deserves it.

It's been done for centuries in jewelry making.
With the Victorians, it was hair of the deceased
made into jewelry. Long before that, ashes were
placed into silver or gold lockets or "boxes" that
were small enough to be worn on a chain. I wish
I had kept some of my grandfather's ashes. I could
have made myself something nice to put them in.
Barbara
Dream Master
www.dreamweaverstudio.com

"We've got two lives, one we're given,
the other one we make."
Mary Chapin Carpenter

question regarding an AD marisa2 Beads 2 July 16th 03 04:47 PM
Question about Beading Thread Tracey Beads 6 July 16th 03 07:52 AM
Another question.... Question about Beading Thread Ken Knecht Beads 3 July 16th 03 06:24 AM
Moretti Glass question bluemaxx Beads 20 July 12th 03 11:12 PM
Kiln question Kalera Stratton Beads 13 July 11th 03 06:35 AM