new question for lampworkers

Old September 9th 03, 11:37 AM
Kandice Seeber

Default new question for lampworkers

Pyrex is the same as boro. It's hot glass - the kind that takes quite a bit
of heat to work. Boro is done quite a bit because of the different look to
it - it can be milky and can change colors drastically. It has a completely
different consistency and it cools a lot slower than soft glass (moretti,
effetre, lauscha, murano, bullseye, etc.)

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

i'm seeing a lot of "pyrex" glass.
why?
does it work differently than the other kinds of glass i hear you
talking about?

-----------
@vicki [SnuggleWench]
(Books) http://www.booksnbytes.com
(Jewelry) http://www.vickijean.com
-----------
It's not what you take, when you leave this world behind you;
it's what you leave behind you when you go. -- Randy Travis

Old September 9th 03, 12:27 PM
Louis Cage

Pyrex is a Corning's brand name for borosilicate glass which uses boron or
borax as a flux instead of soda and lime. It has a COE of 37 I think.
It's\ the glass that carnival glass blowers make hummingbirds and those spun
glass boats and things.
Otherwise see Kandice's post.

--
There are no mistakes, only unexplored techniques

Old September 9th 03, 12:52 PM
Kandice Seeber

Yep - I knew someone would have a more technically correct explanation.
Thanks Louis!

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

Old September 9th 03, 04:19 PM
D Brock

And, to add to Louis' post, as I understand it, the much lower COE also
means that there are fewer expansion/contraction issues while working (this
point more pertinent to bigger, intricate glass sculptures, probably less
pertinent to lampwork beadmaking).

I would also assume (can someone confirm) that, just as pyrex is used in
scientific and kitchen applications for its strength and resistance to
thermal shock, that pyrex/boro beads are also tougher than soft glass
(assuming proper annealing in both cases...)

--Dave

Old September 9th 03, 04:27 PM
Carol in SLC

I would also assume (can someone confirm) that, just as pyrex is used in
scientific and kitchen applications for its strength and resistance to thermal
shock, that pyrex/boro beads are also tougher than soft glass (assuming proper
annealing in both cases...)

You would think so, wouldn't you? However, at least with sculptural beads, I
have had many more boro beads break than ANY Moretti or other soft glass beads
(and I am *not* just talking about Ginger here!). Consequently, I actually
steer clear of boro beads, unless they are round. I have been kinda sad to see
the huge trend toward boro lately, because sculptural beads are my *thang* and
they don't seem to hold up in boro (I especially don't like the pendants that
hang from a boro loop). Just my experience and my opinion, of course. :-)

Carol in SLC
New pic (9/5): http://members.aol.com/carolinslc/glorious.jpg

Old September 9th 03, 05:23 PM
Carol in SLC

Are you sure that you are using a Boro annealing schedule?

I don't make 'em - I buy 'em! And I sure hope that the lampworkers I buy from
know the difference.

Old September 10th 03, 04:52 AM
Louis Cage

Roger Parramore showed me a trick on uneven thicknesses of boro. Put the
piece in the part of the back flame where the yellow flare just starts to
appear. Apparently that is close to where the flame is the annealing
temperature of the glass (works for soft glass too). So you can "flame
anneal" some of the stress out of the piece without losing shape. Of
course, it doesn't replace actual kiln annealing.
Hope that helps.

Old September 10th 03, 04:53 AM
Christina Peterson

Thanks, Tink.

Tina

"Tink" wrote in message
Borosilicate is just a generic term for low expansion glass. Boron is part
of the composition of the glass, which is where it gets its name. There

are
lots of different borosilicate glasses made with various COEs (e.g.
Borofloat and Pyrex are 32.5 while Barium Boro is 49). The lower the COE,
the more resistant the glass is to thermal shock.

Now, as to color... It's my understanding that the way boro colors behave

is
a function of the composition of the borosilicate glass itself as well as
the elements used to create particular colors. If that makes sense. If you
look at the color data at http://www.glasscolor.com you'll see some great
info! I believe the cool "shifting" effects we see with particular boro
colors are, in part, the nature of the glass itself as well as being
color-specific in some cases. In other words, it's going to look like boro
and not like soda lime glass.

Oh, and Pyrex is to borosilicate glass as Kleenex is to facial tissues.

--

Tink

www.blackswampglassworks.com
Sign Up Now For Fall Workshops!
Hollows, Vessels & Florals...

"Kandice Seeber" wrote in message
As far as I know, Pyrex is a brand name of borosilicate glass, so if it
comes in colors, I imagine it does have the same shifting effects.

Louis?

Typical beginner question Cheryl Beads 6 September 6th 03 02:25 AM
de-lurking with a color question Jennifer Moore Beads 8 August 16th 03 09:42 PM
Question about finished pieces Marissa Undercofler Beads 19 August 13th 03 05:54 PM
Posting Question angela Beads 25 August 7th 03 12:57 PM
Another question.... Question about Beading Thread Ken Knecht Beads 3 July 16th 03 06:24 AM