Very Dufficult New Year Resolution

Old January 6th 09, 03:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Lizzy Taylor

Default Very Dufficult New Year Resolution

Polly Esther wrote:
Lizzy, have you thought about trying to be a good influence? You don't have
to actually do it, you could just think about it. Polly

That would be no fun at all.

I have to try to be a good influence with my boys, so it is nice to play
devil's advocate sometimes too.

Lizzy
Old January 6th 09, 04:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Hanne Gottliebsen

OK, I was a redhead when I was younger - kids can be pretty bad with that.

A friend recently told me this story (of course, she is trying to get me
to see the possibilities wrt guys!). Part of the story is that she is
short, slim, white, blonde and very sweet looking. She is also married
with two kids and a myriad of animals.

She took the car in for a repair, bringing the pre-school daughter. They
spent 3 hours in the waiting room, watching kids' TV, no-one talked to them.

Later she took the (other?) car for an oil change, bringing the sweet as
pie rottweiler with her: all the coloured guys were trying to chat her up.

Later yet, she took the dachshund to Home Depot, and all the tall,
white, intellectual-looking guys were trying to chat her up.

Who said stereotypes are always wrong????

She did more or less offer me a choice of dogs for loan next time I
visit grin

Nonetheless, it is of course not ok to call people names, say nasty
stuff etc whether for hair colour, size or whatever.

Hanne in London

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO. wrote:
I am a blonde 'by choice' and use it to my advantage. Like the other
day when a man started trying to explain how to put the new gear in my
garage door opener. I just lifted a lock of my hair and said 'I'm a
blonde- you're wasting your time!' It gets a laugh and I don't have to
listen to any more technical talk. And when I can't think of a word or
something I blame it on being blonde instead of my 'age-related'
forgetfulness. Works for me! Pat, just assume they are talking about
us non-natural blondes with the jokes- we have to be a bit 'silly' to
mess with all the bother of the constant touching up of our dark hair
roots. ;-)

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

"Pat in Virginia" wrote in message
Skinny jokes are not nice, but it seems to me they are no where near
as prevalent as blonde jokes. People seem to have no qualms about
making jokes that depict blondes as dumber than dirt, while they would
not do so for any other coloration. I was born blonde, but pretty smart!
Pat in Virginia

"Sherry" wrote in message
news:5b971090-d503-434a-a9dd-Then you must have heard this one in your
lifetime, "If you stuck your
tongue
out, you'd look just like a zipper.''
Or maybe, "I bet you have to run around in the shower to get wet."

I think Anthony was being facetious, but seriously my goal *is* to
gain
at least 5 pounds and maybe even 10. It is not easy as it sounds when
you have to stick to a nofat diet. I used to be a pretty good bread-
maker
when the kids were little. I bet I could pick it back up.

I hate the remarks I get from people. I already know what I look like.
It just slays me
that people would never dream of making remarks or jokes about someone
who is heavy,
but I guess skinny jokes are acceptable. Sigh.
Sherry --- feeling sorry for herself, sorry!
.

Old January 6th 09, 04:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

On Tue, 6 Jan 2009 07:47:20 -0800 (PST), Sherry
wrote:

On Jan 6, 2:15=A0am, Patti wrote:
Or, 'if you stood sideways you'd slip through the slats in the road
gratings'; not to mention all the tall 'jokes' - 'what's the weather
like up there' being the all-time favourite. =A0You're so right ... ...
and they hurt every single time, if it's something you're sensitive
about - and I always was ... ...
They don't seem to do it, at my advanced age! =A0You may 'grow out of it'
too. =A0Hope you do, Sherry.

In message
,
Sherry writes

Ha! No, I never heard "How's the weather up there" -- I had the
opposite problem
being really short. The all time favorite here was "You should sue the
city for
building the sidewalk too close to your butt."

Sherry

And there is always that guy who looks down at you and says something
like, "Well aren't you just as cute as a button. I think I'll put you
in my pocket and take you home."

To say nothing of the ones who make crude comments about your
shortness creating easier access to certain portions of the male
anatomy.

NightMist
ten feet tall in her head, five foot three outside of it
--

Nothing has been the same since that house fell on my sister.
Old January 6th 09, 04:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate XXXXXX Kate XXXXXX is offline
Banned

Polly Esther wrote:
Kate, I think of you as trustworthy but I am not truly certain that this is
a fact. I'll just have to go test some to be sure. Frankly, I sincerely
doubt it. Polly

Kate X wrote in part - Home made bread does not need butter on it, and
'marmalade is tasty when
very thickly spread'.

'Twas AA Miln that said it originally, and I believed him. He was
right, especially when you use home made marmalade.

Which reminds me, the oranges are in season.

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old January 6th 09, 05:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate XXXXXX Kate XXXXXX is offline
Banned

Sherry wrote:

Or there's another alternative -- homemade butter with "Promise"
fatfree spread. It looks like
butter, spreads like butter, but tastes like butter that's been run
through a de-flavorizing machine.
Better than naked homemade bread though.

Sherry

Nonononono... Naked bred is great. Especially hot out of the oven!

Old January 6th 09, 05:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

NightMist wrote:

And there is always that guy who looks down at you and says something
like, "Well aren't you just as cute as a button. I think I'll put you
in my pocket and take you home."

I walk tall and sharp. I may only be 5'4", but even when I weighted
under 120lbs, no-one ever called me cute.

To say nothing of the ones who make crude comments about your
shortness creating easier access to certain portions of the male
anatomy.

To which I have answered 'I have TEETH!'

Old January 6th 09, 05:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

Default OT Very Dufficult New Year Resolution

Kate XXXXXX wrote:

Polly Esther wrote:

Kate, I think of you as trustworthy but I am not truly certain that
this is a fact. I'll just have to go test some to be sure. Frankly,
I sincerely doubt it. Polly

Kate X wrote in part - Home made bread does not need butter on it, and
'marmalade is tasty when
very thickly spread'.

'Twas AA Miln that said it originally, and I believed him. He was
right, especially when you use home made marmalade.

Which reminds me, the oranges are in season.

Oh Kate, when we lived in San Diego we had what was declared the best
orange tree in the neighborhood. I never doubted that. DH worked with
a guy that would send home a large grocery bag of lemons once in awhile.
Oh my gosh, the marmalade was divine. That little yard had a tangerine
tree too. I miss them still almost 20 years later.
TAria

Old January 6th 09, 05:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Taria wrote:

Oh Kate, when we lived in San Diego we had what was declared the best
orange tree in the neighborhood. I never doubted that. DH worked with
a guy that would send home a large grocery bag of lemons once in awhile.
Oh my gosh, the marmalade was divine. That little yard had a tangerine
tree too. I miss them still almost 20 years later.
TAria

When the Seville oranges are in season I'm always reminded of Malta.
There they have an orange that is like a lemon in that there are always
blossoms, growing fruit and ripe fruit all year round. The fruit is
bitter, like Seville oranges, but more even in skin type and a little
like Mandarins in quality. It makes a very different character of
marmalade from Seville oranges. Delicious!

Given time and oportunity, I make both light and dark marmalades, and
'all in family breakfast' type, and thick cut peel marmalade. The thick
cut dark type is named after my sister, who just LOVES big dark chunky
peel in her marmalade.

I also do a mean lemon and lime marmalade.

Haven't made any for several years. Maybe this is the Year of the
Marmalade!

Old January 6th 09, 06:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

In article ,
"Polly Esther" wrote:

Kate, I think of you as trustworthy but I am not truly certain that this is
a fact. I'll just have to go test some to be sure. Frankly, I sincerely
doubt it. Polly

Kate X wrote in part - Home made bread does not need butter on it, and
'marmalade is tasty when
very thickly spread'.

Ah no, Polly! Kate speaks the truth! I adore marmelade -- almost as much
as lemon curd -- on my toast.

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://www.sandymike.net
Old January 6th 09, 06:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

In article ,
Kate XXXXXX wrote:

Taria wrote:

[...]

And are you willing to share recipes? I can't get anything but orange
marmelade here, but I'd love to be able to make that, as well as lemon
and lime varieties!