Graeco-Latin squares

Old December 2nd 08, 05:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
jeanne-nzlstar*

Default Graeco-Latin squares

that seems like a lot of hoo haa and trouble to go to use up some of your
scraps and make it appear to be random.
i much prefer a real random as long as the overall look is somewhat
balanced.
shrug
snorfle,
j.

"Jack Campin - bogus address" wrote...
Anyone here made a Graeco-Latin square quilt?

We're thinking of making one for somebody whose mind works that
way (a composer who writes serial music). Something like this:

http://buzzard.ups.edu/squares.html

That 10x10 design was only discovered in 1959 (after nearly 200 years
during which most mathematicians thought it was impossible) and its
theory is pretty complicated. Should keep the recipient's mind well
occupied trying to figure out how on earth it works.

Old December 2nd 08, 12:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Hanne Gottliebsen

But you could make it about the quilt-making: Use any other two-colour
block of your choice. It would still illustrate the same principle, but
not in a very obvious way.

Hanne in London

Patti wrote:
Perhaps!
But, it's not the quilt-making that is the difficulty - it's the
placement. And, as Jack says that is almost the only possible way they
can be arranged, and as greater mathematicians than I (by a long chalk
I'm sure!) cannot find a way of altering it. I might try a x5 to see
how I get on - just drawing and colouring! But, don't hold your breath g
I have a 1" Dear Jane extract to think about gg
.
In message
,
Bronnie writes
C'mon Pat, where's your mathematical sense of adventure? You could
probably run this one up in an afternoon!!!big grin
Cheers
Bronnie

Old December 2nd 08, 02:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

I'm thinking g ... ...
..
In message gh3amp$6qh$1@qmul, Hanne Gottliebsen
writes

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old December 2nd 08, 02:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Hanne Gottliebsen

Are you kidding??? I was thinking about this on the way home last night,
going in my mind: nine-patch, HST, ... - until I realised the "Any
two-colour block will work". So now the opportunities are truly endless :-)

I even think a series of minis would be totally cool.

Hanne in London

Patti wrote:
I'm thinking g ... ...
.

Old December 2nd 08, 02:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
juliasb

On Dec 1, 9:03*am, Jack Campin - bogus address
wrote:
Anyone here made a Graeco-Latin square quilt?

We're thinking of making one for somebody whose mind works that
way (a composer who writes serial music). *Something like this:

http://buzzard.ups.edu/squares.html

That 10x10 design was only discovered in 1959 (after nearly 200 years
during which most mathematicians thought it was impossible) and its
theory is pretty complicated. *Should keep the recipient's mind well
occupied trying to figure out how on earth it works.

Just looking at the picture took me back a few steps. I couldn't
really process it at all. I am sure it would be a wild looking quilt
if you could master it. julia
Old December 2nd 08, 03:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Hanne Gottliebsen

Jack Campin - bogus address wrote:
Anyone here made a Graeco-Latin square quilt?

We're thinking of making one for somebody whose mind works that
way (a composer who writes serial music). Something like this:

http://buzzard.ups.edu/squares.html

That 10x10 design was only discovered in 1959 (after nearly 200 years
during which most mathematicians thought it was impossible) and its
theory is pretty complicated. Should keep the recipient's mind well
occupied trying to figure out how on earth it works.

==== j a c k at c a m p i n . m e . u k === http://www.campin.me.uk ====

There's a picture of one he

http://www.mathematicalquilts.com/Quilts_-_Page_6.html

(not mine...)

Hanne in London
Old December 2nd 08, 05:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jack Campin - bogus address

Anyone here made a Graeco-Latin square quilt?
There's a picture of one he
http://www.mathematicalquilts.com/Quilts_-_Page_6.html

I thought the colours of that one were a bit muddy and uninspired,
but some of the other stuff on that site is fantastic.

The Menaechmus parabola construction and the Cosmati tiles (page 3)
use some of the most precise piecing I've ever seen.

==== j a c k at c a m p i n . m e . u k === http://www.campin.me.uk ====
Old December 2nd 08, 10:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

I've just had a quick look through, and saved the site!
Some gorgeous work there.
..
In message , Jack Campin -
bogus address writes

Old December 2nd 08, 11:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
jeanne-nzlstar*

how about some of the simpler DJ blocks?
j.

"Hanne Gottliebsen" wrote...

Old December 3rd 08, 04:48 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
jeanne-nzlstar*

http://maryquilts.com/wp-content/upl...ed-squares.pdf
here is the basic set up tho this only shows it as 8 x 8 blocks.
for those too weary to think how to go about this...like me, lol.
j.

Jack Campin - bogus address wrote:
Anyone here made a Graeco-Latin square quilt?

We're thinking of making one for somebody whose mind works that
way (a composer who writes serial music). Something like this:

http://buzzard.ups.edu/squares.html

That 10x10 design was only discovered in 1959 (after nearly 200 years
during which most mathematicians thought it was impossible) and its
theory is pretty complicated. Should keep the recipient's mind well
occupied trying to figure out how on earth it works.

Latin Red Hot Pop Dance Wear [email protected] Sewing 1 January 6th 06 12:11 PM
Squares and more squares Sorceress Yarn 1 June 25th 04 04:19 PM
Squares sent Janise Ross Yarn 3 October 11th 03 08:53 PM
6x6 squares sent also Jacqueline Butt Yarn 1 October 2nd 03 07:21 PM