What did I do wrong?

Old October 28th 08, 02:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
AuntK

Default What did I do wrong?

I'm setting blocks on point. I've done this several times but always
following specific pattern instructions. The pattern I'm working with
this time has very bizzare cutting/stitching directions so I broke
things down to 'regular' cutting/sewing units. All is well with my
blocks. Blocks are 6.5 inches unfinished. Could not - quickly - find
in my meager reference materials what sizes to cut corner/side
triangles so I searched this group.

Found the following information -- for HST (for corners) add 7/8
inches to finished block and cut 1x diag. Cut blocks 7 3/8" square -
all seems to be okay. Maybe a little big but better than too small.

For QST (for sides) add 1-1/4" to finished block and cut 2x diag. Cut
blocks 7 3/4" square. My triangles are now 7 3/4" on the long side
and 5 1/2" on the short sides - TOO SMALL! I now have a bazillion
triangles that I can't use and no more of the desired fabric! I have
2 other fabrics which, depending on how much I REALLY need, I might
have enough to do things other than originally intended. Otherwise I
have to buy more fabric AGAIN (have done this 2x already).

But the bottom line question is -- what did I do wrong beyond not
testing with scraps!

Help!

Kim in snowy/rainy Central NJ
Old October 28th 08, 03:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Hanne Gottliebsen

AuntK wrote:
[...]

Kim,

You might check this page:

http://quilting.about.com/od/quiltse...ngtriangls.htm

A quick calculation makes me believe that the standard sizes they give
are for finished blocks, and 62 is there, so you should be able to use
their numbers right off.

There is also an explanation for how to work it out.

I think the instructions you found might not be for setting blocks on
point, but rather for straight forward blocks made of triangles? Sewing
2 QST together to make a block of "finished size x", is what I mean.

HTH,
Hanne in London
Old October 28th 08, 03:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Tia Mary

AuntK wrote:

I'm setting blocks on point. ...snip...
My triangles are now 7 3/4" on the long side
and 5 1/2" on the short sides - TOO SMALL! I now have a bazillion
triangles that I can't use and no more of the desired fabric! I have
2 other fabrics which, depending on how much I REALLY need, I might
have enough to do things other than originally intended. Otherwise I
have to buy more fabric AGAIN (have done this 2x already).

But the bottom line question is -- what did I do wrong beyond not
testing with scraps!

Help!

Kim in snowy/rainy Central NJ

If you're like me, you probably did nothing wrong. I have tried and
tried and tried many times to use the formulas for cutting HST & QST and
they are **always** a tad too small! VBS! Now what I do is totally
different. I usually draw a full size block diagram on graph paper to
determine the diagonal measurement(s) needed for my HST & QST pieces.
Once I have determined the size needed, I usually cut my squares about
1/2" bigger than needed, make my diagonal cuts and then trim my HST &
QST pieces to fit! For whatever reason, I am totally incapable of
cutting any HST or QST to the proper size right off the bat -- LOLOL!
CiaoMeow ^;;^

--
PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^ (RCTQ Queen of Kitties)
their whiskers!
Old October 28th 08, 03:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

My math-challenged method: Using your 24" ruler, measure along the
diagonal line of your cutting mat twice the length of the square
blocks, i.e. 13". Go up to the next intersecting vertical line and see
what size square that is, which would be 10" according to my mat and
ruler. Make the QSTs from this size square. The thing to remember is
that the short sides of the QSTs have to be at least as long as the
sides of your blocks!

To fix your current problem, what about sewing 2.5" strips to the long
sides of all your side triangles. It would make a sort of interrupted
border. Then you could add another border strip in the same color, and
the corners of the blocks would appear to float. I think.
Roberta in D

Old October 28th 08, 04:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Hanne Gottliebsen

Roberta,

I _love_ your idea for a fix - I also think that the corners would
float, particularly if the strips + borders are a solid/near-solid. Very
cool!

Hanne in London

Old October 28th 08, 04:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_2_]

Kim, have you learned your lesson? Am I going to have to come yell at you
about not testing? What were you thinking? Especially since you were
running short of fabric. Test, Kim. TEST ! I'm thinking you need some
chocolate. Polly

Old October 28th 08, 06:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kathy Applebaum

"Polly Esther" wrote in message
Kim, have you learned your lesson? Am I going to have to come yell at you
about not testing? What were you thinking? Especially since you were
running short of fabric. Test, Kim. TEST ! I'm thinking you need some
chocolate. Polly

But we'd better test it first... ;-)

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
Queen of Fabric Tramps

remove the obvious to reply
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kathyapplebaum/

Old October 28th 08, 07:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
AuntK

On Oct 28, 11:07*am, Hanne Gottliebsen wrote:
AuntK wrote:
[...]

Hanne in London- Hide quoted text -

Hanne - thanks for that link. I'm bookmarking that one! According to
that site there is an extra calculation (for lack of a better term)
that needs to be included of which I wasn't aware. Now I'll just have
to see if I have enough of another fabric from the quilt to make the
sides/corners or if it's more buying.

I'd add the strips as Roberta suggests but I'm out of matching fabric
and this is so monochromatic (by design) that I just don't think I'd
get the desired effect.

What a pain this quilt has been! Thankfully I gave myself 2 yrs. to
get it done. Have a little over 12 months to finish piecing and hand
quilting.

Kim in NJ
Old October 28th 08, 07:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
AuntK

wrote:

[...]

Kim in snowy/rainy Central NJ- Hide quoted text -

Yes - I've learned my lesson well! Chocolate is definitely in order!
Went out shopping for some today fortunately. Chocolate may not be
quite enough. This may also require stronger liquid that the
unsweetened iced tea I'm currently drinking!

Kim in NJ
Old October 29th 08, 01:47 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati C.

Kim, as others have said, the measurements you used are right for making
HSTs and QSTs for blocks, or parts of blocks. But not right for setting
triangles. G
For setting triangles I generally go old fashioned low tech... lay the
block on point on the cutting mat. Measure from top corner to bottom
corner. Add about half an inch (or so... remember you already have some
extra seam allowance here because you are measuring the raw edge to raw
edge size. G) This will give you the size square to cut into quarters
for side setting triangles. (for a 6 1/2" block, unfinished size, this
works out to about 9 1/2"-10".
You could also go back to math class and use the classic Pythagorean
theorem. VBG which is: a squared plus b squared = c squared. Where a
and b are the short legs of the triangle and c is the hypotenuse (long
side) of the triangle. For right triangles that works out that the size
of square you need for the setting triangles is the square root of 2
(approximately 1.4___) times the side of the block. (for six inch blocks
this would be 6x1.4=8.4 add seam allowance of 7/8" or so, and you get
roughly 9 1/2"-10" or thereabouts. I always cut a bit on the larger
size, because I can either trim the finished top down, or float the
points of the blocks a bit in from the edge/border/whatever. VBG

Have fun,
Pati, in Phx

AuntK wrote:
[...]

They are Wrong - YES, YOU CAN! eProfiTeamLeader Quilting 19 June 4th 06 09:07 PM
This is just wrong! KJ Quilting 9 June 24th 04 12:29 AM
What did I do wrong? Eli Quilting 14 February 9th 04 12:57 AM
What am I doing wrong? Lyndy swain Rubberstamps 9 October 3rd 03 10:46 PM
What am I doing wrong? Deb and Bob Quilting 16 August 19th 03 04:12 AM