stupid frrezer paper question

Old August 26th 08, 09:59 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sarah Dixon

Default stupid frrezer paper question

When ironing freezer paper what iron settings should I use?
Steam or dry?
Hot or cool?

Thanks
Sarah
Old August 26th 08, 11:44 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate XXXXXX Kate XXXXXX is offline
Banned

Sarah Dixon wrote:
When ironing freezer paper what iron settings should I use?
Steam or dry?
Hot or cool?

Thanks
Sarah

Desert setting: Hot and Dry!

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old August 26th 08, 01:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Musicmaker

On Aug 26, 1:59*am, Sarah Dixon wrote:
When ironing freezer paper what iron settings should I use?
Steam or dry?
Hot or cool?

Thanks
Sarah

I heard somewhere that freezer paper can shrink under certain
conditions, but I don't remember the details. I bet steam makes it
shrink, though. Musicmaker
Old August 26th 08, 01:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
amy in CNY

On Aug 26, 8:10*am, Musicmaker wrote:
On Aug 26, 1:59*am, Sarah Dixon wrote:

When ironing freezer paper what iron settings should I use?
Steam or dry?
Hot or cool?

Thanks
Sarah

I heard somewhere that freezer paper can shrink under certain
conditions, but I don't remember the details. *I bet steam makes it
shrink, though. *Musicmaker

Kate's right, HOT and DRY!!! but not too hot. cotton setting, no
steam.
the FP will curl some, but i never saw it shrink...
amy in CNY
Old August 26th 08, 01:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Hanne Gottliebsen

amy in CNY wrote:
On Aug 26, 8:10 am, Musicmaker wrote:
On Aug 26, 1:59 am, Sarah Dixon wrote:

When ironing freezer paper what iron settings should I use?
Steam or dry?
Hot or cool?
Thanks
Sarah

I heard somewhere that freezer paper can shrink under certain
conditions, but I don't remember the details. I bet steam makes it
shrink, though. Musicmaker

Kate's right, HOT and DRY!!! but not too hot. cotton setting, no
steam.
the FP will curl some, but i never saw it shrink...
amy in CNY

I believe Judy Mathieson says that it might shrink - she recommends
ironing it first to pre-shrink, then transfer patterns to it.

Just don't start pre-washing your freezer paper!!!

Hanne in London
Old August 26th 08, 01:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN[_5_]

Musicmaker wrote:
On Aug 26, 1:59 am, Sarah Dixon wrote:
When ironing freezer paper what iron settings should I use?
Steam or dry?
Hot or cool?

Thanks
Sarah

I heard somewhere that freezer paper can shrink under certain
conditions, but I don't remember the details. I bet steam makes it
shrink, though. Musicmaker

Yes, freezer paper can shrink. When I took Susan Cleveland's "Piping Hot
Curves" class, she had us preshrink the freezer paper by pressing it to
the ironing board cover. Susan says to use cotton setting and no steam,
as steam can make it difficult to remove the paper.

Julia in MN

--
-----------
http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/

Old August 26th 08, 06:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Anne Rogers[_4_]

Sarah Dixon wrote:
When ironing freezer paper what iron settings should I use?
Steam or dry?
Hot or cool?

I'm not sure it matters too much! I would leave out the steam - which is
the general advice for quilting anyway. But I wouldn't turn the temp
down from whatever I was using for the quilting fabric - very very
occasionally I've got a bit of brown burn on freezer paper, but it's
only been if I've been doing something that has held the iron on it for
a long time, like turning a seam, but even that has made no difference
to the finished result.

My best tip is to remove the iron carefully and upwards, to avoid
shifting the piece, once you've melted the shiny side, it needs to cool
a bit to hold it in place, so I don't pick what I've ironed up straight
away.

Cheers
Anne
Old August 26th 08, 07:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Watch out with 'hot', though - it can scorch.
..
In message
, amy
in CNY writes
Kate's right, HOT and DRY!!! but not too hot. cotton setting, no
steam.
the FP will curl some, but i never saw it shrink...
amy in CNY

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old August 27th 08, 10:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
TwinMom

(I'll try this again from the other day, since my messages seem to go
off into the ether. :-()

I cover this in all my classes. YES - FP shrinks! It all shrinks, even
just
a little, and more in one direction than another. My solution is to
preshrink (HOT & DRY!!) onto an applique pressing sheet and
Immediately pull
off to cool in the air. Repeat until it stops curling. The curl, btw,
is the
shrinking. I believe some use steam or starch for even more shrinkage,
but I
have not found that worth the effort. Also, the flatter the platen on
your
iron (less steam vents, etc.) the better the shrinkage. Just remember,
you
are trying to evenly HEAT the FP, not press or iron it per se.

HTH, Lorraine

Old August 27th 08, 10:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
jeanne-nzlstar*

yep, i heard that too.
havent used it recently so cant recall if it curl'd on me or not.
i too use hot and dry, of that i'm sure.
i wonder if it curls cuz paper is made from trees, much like cotton, natural
fibre.
even if they do coat with plastic and do whoknowswhatelse to it in the
process.
still needs those fibres to realign i guess.
j.

"TwinMom" wrote...