OT Whisks

Old August 15th 08, 11:01 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
jeanne-nzlstar*

Default Ping Ragmop/Sandy, no longer OT, lol....was OT Whisks

http://forum.threadbanger.com/showthread.php?t=8667

hey Ragmop,
i didnt read thru this but when i saw it i thot it might be put to good use
down in your neck of the woods.
use'n up those sticks and you get a useful box at the same time.
off to bed now, watch some of the games then if i can stay awake long enough
i'll see who is on Letterman.
hmm, a thot just struck me....i wonder if those whisks could be a good place
to store some spools of thread so they dont get away from ya when quilting.
could probly get a few spools inside one of the big ones, stand it up in
that
new sewing box.
hth,
j. :-)

"Sandy Ellison" wrote...
Howdy!

"making them little muslin caps" - Sweetie, you need a nap!
Or at least a tall glass of ice tea & a spell of sitting
in the easy chair beside the a/c vent. ... mercy!

When we had the kitchen countertops replaced last month, dust went
EVERYwhere, including inside closed drawers, soooo I went thru' all the
cabinets and drawers, pulled out everything, put back what was immediately
needed. The rest has been sitting here in 3 baskets... I think I won't
use most of it again. I'll sift thru' it once more (got to save those
jillion popsicle sticks!) before I cart it all down to the Goodwill store.
The whisks sit in the utensil crocks beside the stove; they don't get
snagged or scrunched up (don't put too much in the crocks; probably
don't need most of the utensils, anyway g). There are leftover
crocks, now, that have moved to the sewing table; I've been able to find
my rotary cutter ever since! ;-P
Too much is good for fabric stash, but not for kitchen stuff. YMMV

R/Sandy

Old August 15th 08, 01:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

Default OT Whisks

We did reorganize a bit in the kitchen recently.
Thus the what in heck do we do with the whisks dilema.

I now have a drawer full of all the stuff that you cannot do without
once a year. Holiday cookie and cake stencils, springerlie molds, the
pfeffernuse cutter, melon ballers, etc. I have been threatening to get
a box to put them in so they can be stored a bit more out of the way.

I have also discovered I need a better way to store knives. We had to
ditch the mag strips when Ash discovered he could climb walls like
Spiderman. One of these days I am going to slice a finger clean off
rummaging in a drawer.

We do have too many of some things, but the thing is with as many
cooks as we have everything is somebody's favorite widget.

Back to the whisks, we have five. My whisk, his whisk, DD's whisk, a
silicone coated whisk and a baby whisk (this is starting to sound like
The Three Bears). I would have chucked the baby whisk ages ago, but
it is apparently absolutely essential for somebody or others single
cup hot beverage stirring. My suggestion that they use a fork was met
with much disapproval. My suggestion to toss out the breadbox to make
more counter space was also roundly vetoed.

I like John's suggestion. I had a such a thing that I made for spices
ages ago. However there is Ash to contend with.

Wouldn't take more than a half an hour to run up some muslin bags to
stick on the things. Except I would play with their looks. (G)
Maybe paint a different bear on three of them and goldilocks on a
fourth. Then stick the baby whisk in the cup cupboard. Or use the
baby whisk to make something to drink that will make me more
charitably inclined towards it.

NightMist
Puzzling over where the pudding basin got off to.

On Thu, 14 Aug 2008 15:00:50 -0500, Sandy Ellison
wrote:

[...]

On 8/13/08 10:20 PM, in article , "Polly
Esther" wrote:

Making them little muslin caps sounds like a wonderful idea. You could even
get decorator cute with it, and it would keep them safe from cat hair, dust
bunnies, mosquito fingerprints and whatever unspeakables might come flying
through. You've reminded me of how badly I need to go through my kitchen
gadgets and shed some of them. Such as, I've had a book on how to garnish
and about a dozen interesting gadgets to go with it for more than 10 years.
Never used them. Perhaps it's time. Polly

"NightMist" wrote in message

I love our whisks, my DH loves our whisks, we both hate how we store
our whisks.

Upright in a jar they snag and get tipped over, in a drawer they get
tangled with other utensils, the hanging hooks in my kitchen are
behind the stove (which is just dumb) and the space between the
cupboards and counter is too narrow to put new ones there.

How do you store your whisks?

I have been contemplating muslin bags to put on mine so they are not a
bundle of wires waiting to grab you when they are standing in a jar.

NightMist
--

Nothing has been the same since that house fell on my sister.

--

Nothing has been the same since that house fell on my sister.
Old August 15th 08, 01:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Hanne Gottliebsen

For knife storage:

I have something similar to this:
http://www.amazon.com/Henckels-13-Sl.../dp/B0000632SX
Actually, I saw this, and then found something very similar at K-Mart
for a fraction of the price. It sits in a regular drawer, out of the
way, safe, but easy to get the knives. And it is kind to the knives too.

Probably takes up more space though than just dumping the knives in with
other stuff...

Hanne in London

Old August 15th 08, 02:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

Nifty! Would make a nice planter too.
Roberta in D

Old August 15th 08, 03:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

I second your idea of putting seasonal gadgets out of the way. One
reason we bought this house was its storage pantry. The shelves behind
the pantry door (which can be locked BTW) are the perfect spot for the
odd cake tins, extra plant pots, cookie boxes and other
not-quite-useless miscellany. I read once that every household has a
"Sargasso Sea", the spot where objects collect and get sucked in. The
trick is to avoid having it in your kitchen.

In a friend's kitchen is a very useful knife drawer that folds up
under the over-counter cupboard. You wouldn't know it's there, and it
might be possible to put some kind of safety catch on it. And who
knows, they might make similar holders for thicker kitchen gadgets.
Roberta in D

Old August 15th 08, 03:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bobbie Sews More

I've been reading and thinking about the caps for the whisks and thought
"why not stand them in my recycled cloth covered coffee can and make one big
cap to go over the whole can." Seems like it would be a lot less work than
making 3 or 4 caps for different whisks and will keep the dust off
everything that is standing up waiting for use.
Barbara, who is all for things that are a lot less work.

Old August 15th 08, 11:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

I have a wooden knife rack/holder exactly like that- my mom was so envious
of it that I bought one for her, too. They are great, but take up nearly an
entire drawer, so if you are short on kitchen drawer storage space it might
not be the best solution for you.

For NightMist- what if you were to have some kind of shelf under your upper
cabinets? Whisks aren't too bulky, so the shelf could attach under the
cabinet and only 3-4 in. below it and about as deep and not get into your
countertop space by very much.. Maybe? Or hang the whisks on cup hooks
under the upper cabinets? Or cup hooks on the inside of a cabinet or on the
inside of the cabinet door? Or use magnetic hooks on the side of the
fridge? There must be *some* place you can borrow a few inches.... VBG

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Old August 16th 08, 01:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN[_5_]

Would something like this work for your knives?
http://www.amazon.com/Under-Cabinet-Storage-Knape-Vogt/dp/B00022EWV4

Julia in MN

-----------
http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/
-----------

Old August 16th 08, 04:39 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_2_]

Good thought, Leslie. My whisks don't tangle but I did have a daily fight
with my cooling racks. Nothing fancy, just a leftover couple of racks from
killed oven toasters, one little square and two big racks that I use for a
landing spot for cookie sheets and such.
They used to grab onto the pizza pan, jelly roll pan and each other much
like a snarled Slinky.
DH solved the battle for me by installing those wonderful 3M Command
hooks inside the lower cabinet doors. (Upper would do as well.) My
cabinets are such masterpieces that I expect the cabinetmaker will give them
to a museum when I die. The 3M strips don't do a bit of harm and they
certainly do prevent a daily war with the racks.
This just might solve the whisk tangle. Would take some thought to put
them so the doors would still close but it's worth thinking about. Polly

"Leslie & The Furbabies in MO." wrote, in part Or cup hooks on the inside