VERY OT Need help with kid's type relish tray

Old October 31st 05, 01:52 AM
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Default VERY OT Need help with kid's type relish tray

The HairyButt Gang's obedience instructor, Susan, is having a hot dog
cook-out for the final dog class of the year on Halloween evening.
There are only 2 or 3 adults in the class (I'm one of them) and about
8-10 4H kids from about ages 7 to 12. I need to make some healthy-type
goodies for a relish tray. I have baby carrots, large green olives and
ripe olives, small sweet pickles and would like to dress up any or all
of them a bit for the kids. I thought I'd make Ants on a Log
(bite-sized celery pieces stuffed with peanut better and raisins on
top). We'll be eating outside, without tables, prolly rather dark (not
great lighting in the training field) and everybody will have their
dogs with them. I need some ideas for clever, healthful and easy to
make, transport and eat goodies for the tray.

Please help??? Any and all ideas welcome!

Leslie (a bit desperate here) & The Furbabies (glad to be out of
"school" for the winter)in MO.

Old October 31st 05, 02:07 AM
frood

There are several different brands of cheese shapes - cubes, stars, fish,
even! My kids like these (and if that picky bunch likes them, you know they
are good!).

--
Wendy
un-STUFF email address to reply

oups.com...

Old October 31st 05, 03:02 AM
Patti S

Leslie
Refrigerated biscuits - the "Grands" kind works well. Cut each biscuit
into 4ths, then roll each 4th into a ball. Place on a cookie sheet,
sticking 3 or 4 "balls" together, and bake. When done, stick pretzel
sticks in the "head" of one ball to look like antlers. These are really
cute, really fast, and look like "caterpillars" when they're done. You
can also roll them in sesame seeds or whatever before you bake to give
them a little texture. They're not messy, and transport well......
You could also do flour tortilla's, spread with cream cheese (a flavored
one would be good) then sprinkle with grated carrot, or grated cuke, or
raisins, sunflower seeds & dried cranberries. Roll up and then slice -
easy, peasy finger food, and again, easy to transport. Good Luck!!

Hugz
Patti in Seattle

Hugz
Patti in Seattle

"forgiveness is the fragrance the violet sheds on the heel that has
crushed it"
**mark twain**

Old October 31st 05, 03:26 AM
nzlstar*

we usually do on toothpicks a piece of pineapple then cheese on the bottom,
holds the pineapple on, lol.
how about some sunflower seeds or chopped nuts, on the pb or cream cheese on
the celery.
the toothpicks stick in an orange or grapefruit for a nice display too.

how bout, not healty but delightful, chocolate crackles.
http://www.foodlovers.co.nz/recipes/display.php?id=758
this uses vege shortning...chrisco would work on this.
once you mix all the stuff together, spoon into paper cupcake cups asap.
these are so easy and sooooo scrummy.
kids and adults love them, ok, well if you love chocolate.
gotta eat now, will post more if i think of any.
have fun!!
hugz,
jeanne
--
san-fran at ihug dot co dot nz
nzlstar on yahoo msg'r

Old October 31st 05, 03:43 AM
Polly Esther

They've covered the tray very well. Now. Do we get to see cap and gown
furface pictures? Polly

Old October 31st 05, 04:04 AM
sharonoz

yes, yes! Pweeeze???

Oh, and go the chocky crackles! You can even do "blonde" versions with
corn flakes, honey and butter I believe. Different taste but just as
yummy.

Sharon from Melbourne Australia

Old October 31st 05, 06:19 AM
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Polly-

Sadly, the furbabies never really graduate- I take a different dog each
year with a few spot classes for my "graduates" of each phase- cuz they
and I enjoy working/training/playing together. Missy has been doing
this for many years because I've had her the longest. We just go on to
more and different training! So far we've covered the heel, sit, stay,
etc. stuff; agility (Simon can't do this with his bad hips, poor baby,
cuz he loves doing it) walking the plank, various jumps, climbing the
inverted V, running thru tunnels, etc.; and a new one that I can't even
remember the name for it. The new one is an exercise where there are
directions along a pre-determined path... like stop, sit the dog, and
walk around your dog; make a 270 degree turn to the left with your dog
in heel position; stop dog, advance and call dog to you, etc. It's a
lot of fun and different every time we do it. We get points for having
a happy, relaxed dog with a wagging tail and the dog's enthusism. The
dogs love that one.

There will be pics and some dogs (and owners) will be in costume.....
not mine. I have a great deal of respect for my HairyButts' dignity-
and mine. LOL

Leslie and The Furbabies (who all have their AKC Good Citizenship
certificates) in MO.

Old October 31st 05, 10:56 PM
Dee in Oz

......and sugar.....

In Victoria they are called Honey Joys. Those of us born in S.A. always
called them Honey Crackles.

Dee in Oz

Old November 1st 05, 04:38 AM
nzlstar*

they sound delicious.
seems like they should have white chocolate in them
so whos got a recipe for them?
is there one online or do i gotta go find one myself, geez.
hugz,
jeanne
--
san-fran at ihug dot co dot nz
nzlstar on yahoo msg'r
http://community.webshots.com/user/nzlstar

oups.com...

Old November 1st 05, 06:02 AM
Sharon Harper

Don't know about those but someone did a recipe here once that had eggs,
sugar, plain flour, melted chocolate, dash of salt, possible nuts and all
mixed together and chucked in the oven for a half hour. Not as sweet as
some cakes and rather flattish but sooooo scrummy. I've just pulled a white
choc version out and ooooh heavens!

quicker)