You'll never believe this

Old September 14th 04, 05:07 PM
Diana Curtis

Why be sorry? It was a stimulating discussion... I think talking.. or
writing out loud helps us all figure out where we feel the lines are drawn.
It sure did for me. At first my thought was like yours.. oh my.... why would
anyone buy that?! Then I thought of times they would be wonderful helpers.
Good discussion is what this group is about ... :-)
Diana

--
Heart and soul can make up for technical lacking in any form of art, but let
the heart be lacking and all the perfection means nothing.
"CNYstitcher" wrote in message
.. .
I'm *SO* sorry that I even mentioned this. I did *not* mean to really
open up a can of worms.

Now, in response to the other assorted comments:

I think anybody who makes a quilt, be it an art quilt, a pre-printed
panel, a pieced-takes-10-years-to-finish quilt, a repro, whatever...can
be called a quilter. That is *MY* opinion, and my opinion only. I have
yet to do a quilt from a kit, however, I do happen to have about 8 kits
awaiting my attention - stained glass banners. I guess it just caught
me off guard to see pre-pieced blocks after the 3 years or thereabouts
that I have been trying to get points to match up and blocks to be
square. It also offended me to have pre-printed panles beat out a
pieced quilt I entered in the NY State fair....this year, I entered 3
pre-printed panel quilts and took 2nd place....the key here is to adapt
to the situation.

If you have a very short time to make something, are you going to have
the time to buy, cut, piece, etc? Or would you like to have the ease of
stitching blocks together? If you are new to something, do you prefer
flying by the seat of your pants or following nicely laid out directions
that you can find in a kit?

It's all a matter of personal preference. Trust me, with the changes
made in mom and dads quilt, I'm about ready to scrap it and look for
something already cut for me.

Larisa, sliding back into clothing sewing for a little while

Old September 14th 04, 05:09 PM
Diana Curtis

Can I have your stash?
Diana :-)

--
Heart and soul can make up for technical lacking in any form of art, but let
the heart be lacking and all the perfection means nothing.

"Kathy Applebaum" wrote in message
. com...

"Diana Curtis" wrote in message
You must learn to adapt and fit in the handy, tight little niches we
quilters must fit into. No deviations are allowed. What would this world
come to if you color outside the lines?
Diana ;-)

Gulp, there's no hope for me, then. I never mastered coloring in the

lines,
as hard as I tried. Guess I better give up quilting. ;-)

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
Queen of Fabric Tramps

Old September 14th 04, 05:13 PM
CNYstitcher

well, okay....it's just that there seemed to be the beginning of
personal attacks going on and I felt a bit responsible

Old September 14th 04, 06:19 PM
-=- Jennie-=-

Dang I'm blind or dumb but I for the life of met see where it went
haywire, I really enjoyed the topic as I do most of what is written
here, I wish there were more good honest discussions like this one
going on catches noobies like me up on terms and "stuff" lol...

OT comment: I wish wish wish that "someone" would organise patch
file/book, where real squares/blocks patterns whatever they are
properly called are stitched so us nuff nuffs could look feel and see
how that stupid bit of paper with squiggles on it is meant to look
when it's made with fabric, photo's are wonderful but nothing beats
being able to pick something up and look at the back.

Old September 14th 04, 06:28 PM
Kate Dicey

Kathy Applebaum wrote:

"Diana Curtis" wrote in message

You must learn to adapt and fit in the handy, tight little niches we
quilters must fit into. No deviations are allowed. What would this world
come to if you color outside the lines?
Diana ;-)

Gulp, there's no hope for me, then. I never mastered coloring in the lines,
as hard as I tried. Guess I better give up quilting. ;-)

Do what I do - draw new lines! ;D

--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Old September 14th 04, 06:42 PM
Louise

Larisa,

Nothing to apologize about! I've enjoyed reading everyone's opinions about
this. I didn't really see any personal attacks in the messages (although I
may not have seen them all), but misunderstandings can and do occur in the
world of written expression! What someone writes as their opinion can be
interpreted by someone else as a pronouncement that *everyone* should do
things that way. Or sometimes a whole different tone can be read into a
message -- the writer may have been joking about something or earnestly
sharing his/her thoughts, but the reader may read it as being sarcastic or
condescending. Hopefully that's all that was involved in some of this -- I
don't think anyone on this group intends to speak for everyone and expect
everyone to agree with them.

Thanks for creating such a good discussion point!
--
Louise in Iowa
nieland4 at mchsi dot com

Old September 14th 04, 06:46 PM
nana2b

Larisa, My first quilt was a "see if I can do this" type of project. I
made 4" sq.(no rotary cutter or mat) of 1 Holly Hobby Print and beige,
browns and a print. I laid them out on the floor and sewed then in rows,
then to each other. I "birthed" the quilt by making what appeared to be a
large pillowcase and put the batting in(by crawling inside). Sewed the
bottom and tied it with some rust colored yarn. I have no idea if the
fabric was 100% cotton. It is still around, was washed a million times, no
holes and it is 25 years old. My daughter still treasures it. I had
forgotten about it until I started quilting for real and love that first
effort. My take a photo and post it.

Linda in Humid and icky Plano, Texas

Old September 14th 04, 06:57 PM
Kate Dicey

CNYstitcher wrote:

well, okay....it's just that there seemed to be the beginning of
personal attacks going on and I felt a bit responsible

I thought the same as you said until I remebered that we all use blocks
made by others at times: swap blocks, vintage blocks sold at auction,
blocks left to us by Granny, whatever... I suppose there is a little
difference in buying commercially made blocks, but to me that's a bit
like buying posh clothes: OK if that's what you want, but not for me.

Old September 14th 04, 07:09 PM
Diana Curtis

Has anyone pointed you to www.quilterscache.com ? It isnt fabric but it does
show how to speed piece the blocks they have...and they have LOTS. :-)
Diana