OT - Swollen cat!

Old February 7th 04, 11:07 AM
Johanna Gibson

On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 23:41:04 +0000, Johanna Gibson
wrote:

I just finished hoovering and Sasha - Siamese sealpoint - came over
to me, which is unusual because she usually hides for a while.
As I was stroking her, I noticed that her left ear is swollen up.
It's huge! It seems to be full of some liquid, but is rock hard all
the same. I have no idea what could have caused it - she doesn't go
outside or meet other cats - and no idea what to do. I will have to
ring the veternarian first thing tomorrow and see if they can see her.
Hopefully I will only be late for work, and not miss the whole day!
Please let me know if this has happened to your cat before.

-- Jo in Scotland

Sasha has a hematoma (fancy word for bruise) in her ear. Basically,
there is blood trapped between the skin and the cartilage and there
isn't much room there so it looks huge and bulges quite a bit.
The vet gave her drops that are anti-fungal, anti-bacterial, soften
up her earwax problem and do everything but reprogram your VCR for
you. I put these in 2 or 3 times a day, until she goes back on
Wednesday evening. They will keep her overnight and on Thursday
morning, will sedate her and drain the ear. They will also
investigate her earwax problem (only in the left, affected, ear) at
the same time. I'll pick her up on Thursday evening, and then watch
to see if the ear swells up again... apparently sometimes it needs to
be drained 2 or 3 times!
So the whole thing has made me late for work, and I don't think they
believed my explanation, but there you are....

-- Jo in Scotland
Old February 7th 04, 01:32 PM
Kate Dicey

Johanna Gibson wrote:

I just finished hoovering and Sasha - Siamese sealpoint - came over
to me, which is unusual because she usually hides for a while.
As I was stroking her, I noticed that her left ear is swollen up.
It's huge! It seems to be full of some liquid, but is rock hard all
the same. I have no idea what could have caused it - she doesn't go
outside or meet other cats - and no idea what to do. I will have to
ring the veternarian first thing tomorrow and see if they can see her.
Hopefully I will only be late for work, and not miss the whole day!
Please let me know if this has happened to your cat before.

-- Jo in Scotland

It sounds like an injury that has caused the same thing as 'cauliflower
ear' in boxers and rugby players! What happens is a bump that makes the
layers of cartilage in the ear part company and fluid gathers between
them. The vet will know for sure. It can usually be reduced. Don't
know if the ears will ever match exactly again!
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Old February 7th 04, 10:57 PM
Judy Kerr

Poor little puss-pot! My Sasha sends your Sasha a (((kitty hug))). Hope
she's better soon.

Judy in UK

--
Remove NOSPAM to reply

Old February 8th 04, 12:19 AM
Royce

I'm so glad it turned out & that she's okay. Our 18YO Cully had a swelling
on her shoulder a few weeks back, and we had to have it removed. It was
cancerous, but fortunately, not the kind that spreads. It may come back in
the same place, but I'm not worried. This cat will survive everything.

--
Royce
A day hemmed in prayer is less likely to unravel.