OT - Swollen cat!

Old February 6th 04, 11:41 PM
Johanna Gibson

Default OT - Swollen cat!

I just finished hoovering and Sasha - Siamese sealpoint - came over
to me, which is unusual because she usually hides for a while.
As I was stroking her, I noticed that her left ear is swollen up.
It's huge! It seems to be full of some liquid, but is rock hard all
the same. I have no idea what could have caused it - she doesn't go
outside or meet other cats - and no idea what to do. I will have to
ring the veternarian first thing tomorrow and see if they can see her.
Hopefully I will only be late for work, and not miss the whole day!
Please let me know if this has happened to your cat before.

-- Jo in Scotland

Old February 7th 04, 12:36 AM
nana2b

I had a dog that had that. It is from a trauma. We didn't know how he did
it, but it could have happened when he shook his head. The vet drained it
and sutured the ear in a sort of grid pattern (not OT) to keep the fluid
from filling up again. Anti-biotics for a week and he was fine. If you
don't treat it, it can get infected.

Linda

Old February 7th 04, 12:48 AM
Paul & Suzie Beckwith

On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 23:41:04 +0000, Johanna Gibson
wrote:

I just finished hoovering and Sasha - Siamese sealpoint - came over
to me, which is unusual because she usually hides for a while.
As I was stroking her, I noticed that her left ear is swollen up.
It's huge! It seems to be full of some liquid, but is rock hard all
the same. I have no idea what could have caused it - she doesn't go
outside or meet other cats - and no idea what to do. I will have to
ring the veternarian first thing tomorrow and see if they can see her.
Hopefully I will only be late for work, and not miss the whole day!
Please let me know if this has happened to your cat before.

-- Jo in Scotland

Sounds like an abscess (sp) , especially if its at all hot... BTDT...

My old cat Stormy had one on top of his head, it was all swollen in
the morning before we went to work, when we got home that evening he'd
scratched it REAL good, opened it up and it had burst all over his
face poor mite...

...especially charming as he'd spent the day sleeping on my chair next
to my side of the bed where I keep clothes... large load of washing
that night...

Vet gave him anti-biotic injections, a strip of tablets to give him
twice daily (oh great fun...) and orders to bathe the open wound with
warm water/bicarb of soda at least twice a day... yeah right... that
cat could squirm for Europe!

Hope your cat recovers from this ASAP!

Suzie B
--
"From the internet connection under the pier"
Southend, UK
Old February 7th 04, 01:28 AM
Johanna Gibson

wrote:

[...]

Sasha is the most patient cat I've ever seen. I can put her on the
scales at the vet and say "stay" and she will. I think it's because
she's a Siamese and they're more like dogs. She sat for 20 minutes on
my lap, when Beatrice and Henning were trying to get the tick off her
head last summer, and never meowed once... they couldn't believe it..
Well, I'll call the vet first thing tomorrow - told work I might be
late in - and if it does come down to pills, I have no doubt she'll
start hiding from me in the mornings!

-- Jo in Scotland
Old February 7th 04, 01:49 AM
Pati Cook

Jo,
it hasn't happened with a cat, but a dog. Our German Shepherd had an ear
swell up like that. Turns out she had got the ear caught under or between
something, and had a hematoma (sp????). The vet drained it but it never again
would "stand up". She looked so funny/cute when she would prick up her ears...
one would just stay flopped down. G

Not a real problem, but do have the vet see to it.

Pati, in Phx

Old February 7th 04, 01:53 AM
Kathy Applebaum

My dog gets this now and then. His ears are prone to infection (as my vet
calls it, he has "goopy ear syndrome" LOL), and if I miss treating an
infection early, he starts shaking his head and gets a hematoma in the ear.
It eventually goes down, but it looks like it should be a lot more
uncomfortable than the dog seems to think it is. Only once have they had to
drain it.

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
longarm machine quilting, Queen of Fabric Tramps

Old February 7th 04, 03:19 AM
Pat in Virginia

Linda: Did I understand this right? The vet 'quilted' the dog's
ear?
Amazed in VA, PAT

Old February 7th 04, 03:51 AM
Neeej

The vet drained it but it never again
would "stand up"

Cats' ears are more apt to "crumple" a bit after the repair. And 'quilting' the
layers back together IS one of the most common methods of repair---maybe THAT's
where I got started on all this GG

Not a real problem

Usually not, but can become secondarily infected and abscess (all that lovely
blood in there is heaven to some bacteria).
-- Jean S
Old February 7th 04, 04:08 AM
nana2b

You picked up on that did ya? Yes he sewed the flappy ear so the fluid of
the hematoma would not reoccur. About 2 years later Roux did it to the
other ear. It seems he had an ear infection and shook his head just a
little too hard.

--
Sugar & Spice Quilts by Linda E
http://community.webshots.com/user/frame242