Who does Blocks of the Month?

Old October 31st 03, 03:25 PM
Lynne Van

Default Who does Blocks of the Month?

Some of you have mentioned these from time to time, and I've
seen some of the patterns, which look amazing.

Who here does these regularly? What is your opinion on them?
Do you find them expensive?

Just wonderin',

Lynne in Toronto
Old October 31st 03, 06:40 PM
Don/Gen

I'm doing 2 at the present time. One combines machine embroidery with
different blocks and the other is from Planet Patchwork. for both, my
personal challenge is to use only fabrics from my stash, so I can't answer
the expensive part. so far I'm enjoying them.
Gen

Old October 31st 03, 07:00 PM
Kathy in CA

I do several BOM. It a great way to learn new blocks and techniques plus you
have lots of time to stetch out the sewing--most times all year long. Also
you still have time to work on other projects. They are really no more
expensive than any other quilt top--generally only a few yards each of
multiple colors

Here's some I'm working on:
http://www.downhomequilting.com/2003sampler.html medallion style quilt

http://planetpatchwork.com/BOTM/galactic/default.htm

http://www.anilee.net/mansion/bom/bom.html each block only has 2 colors and
each of my blocks are differnt 2-color sets; Dec installment will have
assembly directions

http://www.claudiasquiltshoppe.com/freebom.htm My Bars & Stars, Penquins
Play

Some BOM I am not actualy working on but print them just 'cause I may want
to later on.
Here's a cute one:
http://www.forgetmenotstudio.com/200...20Info%201.htm

--
Kathy in CA
Quilting Stuff:

Old October 31st 03, 07:56 PM
Laura Gilbert

I am currently working on 2 and considering a 3rd. However, I pull the
fabrics from my personal stash, and use the free patterns online. Forget Me
Not, HGTV are the two I am working on.

Laura in Virginia

Old October 31st 03, 11:53 PM
teleflora

"Lynne Van" wrote in message

Some of you have mentioned these from time to time, and I've
seen some of the patterns, which look amazing.

Who here does these regularly? What is your opinion on them?
Do you find them expensive?

Just wonderin',

Lynne in Toronto

Dang, Lynne, I should have read a little further down before I posted my
question just now.

Cindy

Old November 1st 03, 04:03 AM
Diana Curtis

I was running around online tonight and found this fun site of links. There
were a lot of BOMs to look at, free. For those of you who make your own
kits.
http://www.freequiltpatterns.info/
HTH someone.
Diana

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44

Old November 1st 03, 07:12 AM
Christina in Ok

I like doing the Downhomequilting Quilts
2001 at DHQ was my first one I started off with.

I have a bit of trouble on the hunt for fabrics when doing a BOM quilt, but
I find it very fun to do!!
I love to look and touch the fabrics!!

haven't tired a BOM kit yet

I do like the year long quilts.. they are easy to catch up on and you can do
other quilts during the month.... But I do tend to try to finish a quilt
in-between. as I find having wip nerve racking but many here love having a
lot to work on..

Old November 2nd 03, 01:33 AM
Lynne Van

Thanks, all. I did wonder if people bought the BOM kits, and some of
you addressed that. They did seem 'spensive to me.

Some of the patterns are really lovely...but many of them don't seem to
be sold just as patterns. I really liked a new one called Winter
Light(??). Very pretty.

I'm still waiting to see the Cowboy BOM...could be just my cup of
sasparilla!

Cheers,

Lynne in Toronto

Old November 2nd 03, 03:16 AM
Royce

Lynne,
My LQS has several BOM's going all the time, ranging in price from
$2.50/month (small kit to make either 2 - 4" or 1 - 6" churn dash) on up to
$18/month (12' felted wool flower blocks), depending on the size, fabric &
detail. They also started the $5 quilt top program that some of the others
mentioned. The $5 quilt top program is as mentioned in other posts. You
pay for the first block, and each month @ the meeting, if you bring the
previous one in, completed, and stay for the instructions/demonstration you
get the next one free. Ours happens to be available in traditional colors
or batiks, and also in pieced or appliqué. Unfortunately, you can only get
one free each month. if you want the other colorways or the appliqués, they
are $5 each
I do the $5 quilt top BOM in traditional colors, pieced, a Birds in the
Air BOM in 2 colorways @ $4.50 each, Penny Candy Churn Dash BOM in 2
colorways @ $2.50 each, and a '30's reproduction pinwheels BOM each month @
$3.95.
I enjoy them because they're something I can do a little here & a little
there, without having a whole project looking @ me all the time. They are a
nice break from the big deadline type large projects.
However, there are lots of sites online that offer free monthly block
patterns & directions that you could use up your current stash to make them.
There are a few other freebies in these also, like monthly drawings, which,
BTW I won from Lizard Of Oz last summer! Try these:

http://www.jinnybeyer.com/block-a-we...7-00017f00d03e

http://www.jinnybeyer.com/free_patte...7-00017f00d03e

http://www.yvonnes.dk/patternspage1.htm

http://www.quiltshome.com/GalleryOne/sevenpatch.html

http://www.forgetmenotstudio.com/200...Gen%20Info.htm

http://www.acornhillquilts.com/homeland.htm

http://www.quiltbus.com/QuiltBlocks.htm

http://www.quiltzine.com/printblocksmenu.asp

http://members.shaw.ca/kigraham/partners.html

http://members.shaw.ca/kigraham/index.html

http://www.victorianaquiltdesigns.co...oftheMonth.htm

http://www.geocities.com/pcpiecers/freepatterns.html

http://www.anilee.net/mansion/bom/bom.html

http://www.quilterscache.com/QuiltBlocksGalore11.html

http://www.scrapquilts.com/

http://www.welshofer.com/WebThreads/...six/ssgrph.htm

http://m759.freeservers.com/puzzle.html

http://www.victorianaquiltdesigns.co...ingdesigns.htm

http://www.connectingthreads.com/ct/.../quilt_cat.asp

http://www.lizardofoz.com.au/Free_Stuff/competition.asp

http://quiltingpassion.com/

http://www.quilterscache.com/QuiltBlocksGalore.html

http://www.quiltersnewslettermagazine.com/

Royce
A day hemmed in prayer is less likely to unravel.

"Lynne Van" wrote in message

Some of you have mentioned these from time to time, and I've
seen some of the patterns, which look amazing.

Who here does these regularly? What is your opinion on them?
Do you find them expensive?

Just wonderin',

Lynne in Toronto

Redwood Blocks GrexMorgan General Crafting 0 December 11th 04 06:52 PM
Hurricane Charley Fred Needlework 270 September 5th 04 07:24 PM
New Block Of The Month Design Renmark Craft Corner Marketplace 0 February 7th 04 04:02 AM
Cowboy Man of the Month? (not OT) Dragonfly Quilting 5 October 31st 03 03:23 PM
Variable sized blocks setting Sewwhat Quilting 6 September 8th 03 02:33 AM