Tariff info for shipping quilt from Canada to US??

Old June 8th 06, 03:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default Tariff info for shipping quilt from Canada to US??

Thats a good idea....and so simple it just might work!
Thanks
Allison

Cathy wrote:

Just keep the receipt form the shipping / maybe a scan/photocopy of the
mailing label and a pic of the quilt to show that it is yours and you
did send it to the US.

Cathy in BC

Allison wrote:

FWIW, I have heard horror stories about getting quilts back across the
border into Canada so I am going to pick my quilt up after the show.
Any Canadians have comments about getting quilts sent home from the
States? (I heard of one case where they wanted to charge the
quiltmaker duty to get her own quilt back).

Old June 8th 06, 11:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Hi,
I've heard of people having no trouble sending their quilts to the
States but having a hard time gettting them back into Canada. You will
need to prove that the quilt is Canadian or else you will need to pay
duty on the value of the quilt even though it's yours to begin with.
Sue
Allison wrote:
Hi all!
Sure hope someone can help me! This year I decided to enter one of my
quilts in the Vermont Quilt Festsival. And I got accepted. So far so
good.

The tricky part is that I live in Canada and have to get this thing
across the border. I thought this would be fairly easy - just call the
courrier at work and send it off. But, before doing this, I need a
"harmonized code" number for customs purposes. This is easier said than
done G.

After getting the run around at Fed Ex (they couldn't help) I started
hunting on assorted government websites and I found one with all the
chapters of the tariff schedule for the US
(http://www.usitc.gov/tata/hts/bychapter/index.htm if you are interested).

As far as I understand the tariff codes between Canada and the States
are 'harmonized' so the same numbers should apply. So the question is:
Do I classify my wall hanging under chapter 97 as "work of art" (it is
an original abstract design; if done in paint on canvas would count as
art for sure) or do I classify it under chapter 63 as "other made up
textile articles"?

(If it was a bed quilt I think it could go under one of the categories
of bed linens in chapter 63. But should a wall hanging be "furnishing
articles" under this chapter or, as mentioned above, "artwork" under
chapter 97?)

TIA if anyone can help!!!!

Old June 9th 06, 04:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Ask the customs office they should know ;-)

--
Jessamy
In The Netherlands

Old June 9th 06, 07:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

On Fri, 09 Jun 2006 10:01:43 -0400, Allison
wrote:

So now what I'm trying to figure out is:
what counts as "proof" of Canadian origin?

Give it a voice box and teach it to ask:

"So do you call American cheese back cheese, eh?"

Or give it a western accent and just make it say houseboat.

You could embroider "will quilt for timbits" on the label.

Or how about "Property of Prime Minister Poutine"

You could make the package play "We are the Beaver" when it's opened.

I have to run out for a Coffee Crisp now.....

NightMist
feeling goofy today
--
The wolf that understands fire has much to eat.

Library Quilt Display---Long Debra Quilting 18 March 23rd 06 02:14 PM
Quilt Shows info needed frood Quilting 0 February 5th 05 10:32 PM
Hi rctq, I'm desperate for help in salvaging this quilt (really, really long) Meghan Quilting 34 November 22nd 04 05:23 PM
Mini B.C. quilt shop tour shhdesigns Quilting 13 September 15th 04 04:03 AM
OK, you've finished the quilt, now what to do with the scraps? Have fun! QUILTKITTY Quilting 12 January 6th 04 05:48 PM