new carver

Old June 1st 05, 10:55 PM
Brenda Gann

Default new carver

I would like to know if there is a small object I can get started on
carving. what would you recommend to do first
Brenda

Old June 2nd 05, 01:45 PM
Rockhewer

"Brenda Gann" wrote in message
news
I would like to know if there is a small object I can get started on
carving. what would you recommend to do first
Brenda

Carve something you know about. What do you like? What are your interests? A
small block of basswood is cheap.

Old June 2nd 05, 06:42 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Brenda Gann" contains these words:

I would like to know if there is a small object I can get started on
carving. what would you recommend to do first

Think before you carve!

Never cut towards yourself; if you can, fix the object you are carving
so it can't move; find a piece of the medium of your choice which
reminds you of something and modify it accordingly; If it has grain, use
the grain for effect.

I use wood, horn, bone and wax (for making castings): one day, I'll get
round to using Ivorine.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old June 2nd 05, 06:42 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Rockhewer" contains these words:

Carve something you know about. What do you like? What are your
interests? A
small block of basswood is cheap.

A block of an old pallet is even cheaper, and sometimes, very pretty wood.

Old June 2nd 05, 09:50 PM

On Wed, 1 Jun 2005 16:55:42 -0500, "Brenda Gann"
wrote:

I would like to know if there is a small object I can get started on
carving. what would you recommend to do first
Brenda

A small piece of Basswood is a good start. You might consider a
simplified animal to start, or if you have any artistic talent
(sketching, painting, etc.) you might try a favorite cartoon character
like Snoopy or Charlie Brown.

HTH
Bill

Old June 3rd 05, 12:42 PM
George

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
k...
The message
from "Rockhewer" contains these words:

Carve something you know about. What do you like? What are your
interests? A
small block of basswood is cheap.

A block of an old pallet is even cheaper, and sometimes, very pretty wood.

Sometimes it's a chunk of some rock-hard sun-dried elm or ash, too. It's
almost always a piece of wood which has had a chance to gather some
edge-ruining dirt and grit.

Carve green wood for practice. It'll shrink a bit, but it'll carve easily,
and it's abundant. Reject the pith.

Old June 3rd 05, 08:16 PM
Patrick

Try something totally different, carve a 2" sphere. A perfect sphere! Then
carve a display pedestal. It will be challenging and you will learn a lot
about grain, your tools, and your eye. What you will learn with this lowly
sphere will show in your next project. Just a thought.

Patrick

Old June 5th 05, 08:49 PM
Wannabe

"Brenda Gann" wrote in news9qne.123$B4.26994
@sooner.brightok.net:

I would like to know if there is a small object I can get started on
carving. what would you recommend to do first
Brenda

Hi Brenda, take a look at Old Joe's web site, he has a lot of info about
"beinner carving" , for a project I would recommend the hedgehog or
shelfmouse that he has listed under beginner projects.
Here's his web site;
http://www.oldjoe.org/
I have no connection to Old Joe or his site, just think it's a great
palce for a newbie to start.(G)

Wannabe.
Old June 7th 05, 12:21 AM
turtle

Theres a reeeeel good mag called Wood Carving Illustrated (no plug intended)
that has beginner projects. Knock urself out

carverturt

New Carver in need Tiffany Carving 5 February 27th 05 02:21 AM
carving egg shell - any hints? Mary Irene Carving 8 January 3rd 05 08:02 PM
Gemini Copy Carver Franko Carving 0 December 6th 04 11:17 PM