going from picture to crochet pattern

Old December 1st 03, 07:57 PM
news.sonic.net

Default going from picture to crochet pattern

My husband is a huge HO lovecraft fan. I'd love to make him his own afghan
(after the Christmas rush is over - maybe for his birthday in October ;-0 )
I found a picture that I'd love to use, but of course, as it is not a very
typical picture, I can't find a pattern.
Does anyone know how to do this? Is there a place that will do it for me?
The link to the picture is he
http://www.historicgames.com/gifs/WWCD.gif

Kelly

Old December 1st 03, 08:26 PM
DA

My husband is a huge HO lovecraft fan. I'd love to make him his own

afghan
(after the Christmas rush is over - maybe for his birthday in October

;-0 )
I found a picture that I'd love to use, but of course, as it is not a very
typical picture, I can't find a pattern.
Does anyone know how to do this? Is there a place that will do it for me?
The link to the picture is he
http://www.historicgames.com/gifs/WWCD.gif

Kelly

There are several ways that you can do this. If you are crocheting it,
simply download one of the cross stitch programs that will let you print
from the demo version ( usually good for 5-10 times). Crochet stitches are
square.
If you are knitting it, use knitters graph paper. Have the graphic
enlarged to what ever size you want the design to be and trace the design,
squaring off curves as necessary. There is also knitting software that will
let you scan in the design and print the necessary chart from the program
DA

Old December 1st 03, 08:54 PM
DA

You're awesome! thanks tons!
> [...]

You are very welcome.

Old December 1st 03, 08:57 PM
news.sonic.net

Sorry, that was HP Lovecraft.
So once I have the picture as a cross stitch pattern, do I just use the
number of stitches as an even ratio? If there were 60 cross stitches, do I
just do 60 SC?
How would I then write out the instructions? Would it be easier to print a
graph over it, adjust it to size and figure out gauge?

Kelly

Old December 1st 03, 09:58 PM
DA

Kelly. get your stitch/row gauge. Figure out how any stitches, rows the
finished product will be and what size. If you have a problem visualizing
what the finished product will look like, print the graphic on a sheet of
paper and play with folding it.

So once I have the picture as a cross stitch pattern, do I just use the
number of stitches as an even ratio? If there were 60 cross stitches, do I
just do 60 SC?

No, this is where your stitch and row gauge factor in. Unless you have
printed the chart at the actual stitch and row gauge the size will be off.
You have to know how big the final piece will be so you will be able to
decide what portion of the "fabric" the design will cover and how to center
the main portion of the design.

There is a demo of Stitch Painter available here
http://www.cochenille.com/stitch.html#demo
I use this program and it lets you adjust your stitch/row gauge. This will
give you a printout with the actual number of stitches that you need for
the design based on stitch/row gauge
DA

--
It ain't the jeans that makes your butt look fat.

Old December 1st 03, 10:28 PM
news.sonic.net

DA -
Whenever I install it, I get a general protection fault error and can't run
the program. Can you help me? What format are the finished charts in? Can
you contact me offlist please if that is easier?

Kelly
newsQOyb.74163$xV6.45201@lakeread04...

Old December 1st 03, 11:18 PM
Stella Fenley

There is a way you could crochet the picture into an afghan .Take the
picture and use graph paper to mark the stitches.Good Luck.Stella

Old December 2nd 03, 02:18 AM
Mary

If you will do filet crochet all you need to do is print out the
picture, transfer it to grid paper, and use that as your pattern.