what is your favourite type & brand of knitting needle?

Old November 9th 03, 04:55 PM
Linda D.

Default what is your favourite type & brand of knitting needle?

Hi everyone,

I recently bought four different sizes of circular needles,
and was quite amazed there were at least three different brands and
prices to choose from. I bought the Aero needles, as they are very
reasonably priced, and have been satisfied with Aero for years. The
yarn shop also had Susan Bates, and Turbo (I think that's the name).
The Turbo needles were more than triple the price of the Aero, but the
asst. store manager said they are wonderful to knit with. Have any of
you used them? Are they really that good?

take care, Linda
Vancouver Island, bc.ca (remove 'nospam' to reply)
See samples of my work at: www.members.shaw.ca/deugau

Old November 9th 03, 05:15 PM
Karen

"Linda D." wrote in message
Hi everyone,

I recently bought four different sizes of circular needles,
and was quite amazed there were at least three different brands and
prices to choose from. I bought the Aero needles, as they are very
reasonably priced, and have been satisfied with Aero for years. The
yarn shop also had Susan Bates, and Turbo (I think that's the name).
The Turbo needles were more than triple the price of the Aero, but the
asst. store manager said they are wonderful to knit with. Have any of
you used them? Are they really that good?

take care, Linda
Vancouver Island, bc.ca (remove 'nospam' to reply)
See samples of my work at: www.members.shaw.ca/deugau

The Turbo's are my favorite for most yarns, they're very smooth and I do
knit faster with them (Inox makes some that to me, seem identical and are
much less expensive, but I don't see them very often). However, with
slippery yarns and ribbons, I have problems with them -- then I'll usually
go with bamboo circulars.

I saw another kind recently that I really liked for certain yarns. They are
also made by Inox, but the material isn't bamboo, and it isn't the turbo
material. They're gray, not shiny, and I can't tell what they're made of,
and oddly enough, it doesn't say on the package. Whatever they are, they're
a nice middle ground between the Turbos and the bamboos.

Karen in MN

Old November 9th 03, 05:18 PM
Katherine Burgess

Hi, Linda,
I usually use Aero, and find them fine. I cannot justify spending what the
Turbo would cost. In fact, my yarn store owner said herself that she
couldn't be bothered to use them herself.
HTH
Katherine

Old November 9th 03, 05:51 PM
NoraBalcer

Hi Linda,

Welcome and I don't have an opinion as I don't use circular needles, only
straight ones for me.

Nora
Old November 9th 03, 06:14 PM
The Other Kim

If you're knitting for speed, Turbos are great. I, however, most enjoy
knitting complicated textures, cables, and lace, so I need a little more
"stick" to my needles for control. Lately I've been getting Plymouth
bamboo circulars, and I love them! My goal is to get myself a 24"
needle in every size they make, then dump the Clovers. For socks I use
either bamboo dps or Brittany birch dps. I tend to snap the birch ones
in the smaller sizes, though; the bamboo can take more abuse g

The Other Kim
kimagreenfieldatyahoodotcom

Old November 9th 03, 06:18 PM
Angelicsong

Hi Linda,

I like plastic needles because they are easier on the hands, at least for me
they are and I've found that the Aero are my favourite. I also prefer the
circulars because there is less arm movement - easier on arthritic joints -
and I don't poke people on the bus or subway if I go downtown.

Hugs to ya,
Melody

Old November 9th 03, 06:45 PM
Els van Dam

In article 3fae700b.894326@news, wrote:

Hi everyone,

I recently bought four different sizes of circular needles,
and was quite amazed there were at least three different brands and
prices to choose from. I bought the Aero needles, as they are very
reasonably priced, and have been satisfied with Aero for years. The
yarn shop also had Susan Bates, and Turbo (I think that's the name).
The Turbo needles were more than triple the price of the Aero, but the
asst. store manager said they are wonderful to knit with. Have any of
you used them? Are they really that good?

take care, Linda
Vancouver Island, bc.ca (remove 'nospam' to reply)
See samples of my work at:
www.members.shaw.ca/deugau

Hello Linda:

I do think that it makes a difference, finding the circular turbo needles
just wonderfull, When you are knitting with lots of stitches on your
needle, say for a mobius, it just slides better along the needles, I do
think they are worth the money.

Els

--
I have added a trap for spammers......niet.....
Old November 9th 03, 07:01 PM
Linda D.

Thank you so much for all of the responses to my post. It
seems that my first impression of Turbos is the one most of you share.
I bought the Aero's for most of my knitting and will ask *Santa* to
buy me a Turbo circular needle for my Christmas stocking in a size I
use often. I can then compare and see which I prefer...Aero or the
Turbo needles.

Btw, the reason I've been buying the circular needles is that
I often knit at my son's karate training sessions, and last week I
dropped a needle that *pinged* loudly across the gym floor....(giggle)
If I drop the circular needle it won't create quite so much noise
I also like the idea that a circular needle is not as likely to poke
out of my purse.

take care, Linda
(who has posted to the group in the past, but has been lusking lately
Thanks for the warm welcomes

Old November 10th 03, 12:50 AM
Knitterbugs

Hi Linda;

I don't use circular needles, but my favorite knitting needles also come in
circular, so I thought I'd put in my 2 cents also. My favorite knitting
needles are Quick Silvers from Susan Bates.

~Pam

Knitterbugs
http://members.aol.com/knitterbugs