Double needle problems

Old February 25th 04, 12:57 PM
georg

Default Double needle problems

dogsnus wrote:

I've been trying to get my machine to stitch with my new
double needle. I say "trying" because the right side
keeps skipping stitches while the left needle stitches just
fine.
I've done all the recommendations in the newly acquired
manual for my Singer; threading it properly, adjusting
the tension in various directions but, it still won't
work properly and I'm getting frustrated.
I had the sewing shop folks help me choose the proper one
by bringing in my current needle package to show them, so I'm
pretty sure I got the right one for my machine.

Any other suggestions for me to try, anyone?

Skipped stitches often indicates that the needle isn't in there
properly. Take it out and put back in again. it's possible the angle is
off a little, and that's throwing it out of whack.

My Kenmore's needles go in with the flat part of the needle to the back
and do not slide in any other way. My Wards machine will let you put the
needle in facing any direction. But it only *works* if you put the flat
to the right. And any other angle variation, no matter how slight, makes
it skip stitches or not work at all.

-georg
happy to have found needles for the '49 Wards!

Old February 25th 04, 02:22 PM
Pat in Virginia

Not to be anal or anything, but you may want to double check the
brand of needle. You say the sewing shop folks helped you. Do
you mean the fabric shop or the Singer Dealer? I know from
experience that Singer Needles are a tad longer than other
needles. You may be using a brand that is a tad too short for
your SM. If you are using Singer Needle in Singer SM Terri, then
just ignore my note and go have some chocolate as you contemplate
other solutions!

PAT in VA/USA

dogsnus wrote:

I've been trying to get my machine to stitch with my new
double needle. I say "trying" because the right side
keeps skipping stitches while the left needle stitches just
fine.
I've done all the recommendations in the newly acquired
manual for my Singer; threading it properly, adjusting
the tension in various directions but, it still won't
work properly and I'm getting frustrated.
I had the sewing shop folks help me choose the proper one
by bringing in my current needle package to show them, so I'm
pretty sure I got the right one for my machine.

Any other suggestions for me to try, anyone?

Terri

Old February 25th 04, 02:54 PM
Taria

Try changing to another thread. Make sure bobbin and top are
the same. Check the way the thread is going through the
tension discs. They shuld be separate. one on one side and
one on the other of the discs.
Taria

Old February 25th 04, 11:17 PM
Polly Esther

I think it has to do with the moon and tides myself. I just never know
what combination is going to make my SMs happy with a double needle.
Here are weird things to consider -
Sometimes both spools of thread having to be unwinding in the same
direction. Or the "other" same direction. Or different directions from each
other.
Sometimes they want the thread to the left of the discs, sometimes - one
on one side and on on the other.
Also. Start threading with the spool that is on the SM on the far right.
Thread it through keeping it on the far right of the disc. Thread it through
the needle on the far right. Do whatever you must to keep the thread end
from going anywhere.
Then thread the left thread all the way down through the left needle.
Keep that rascal from twisting or getting friendly with the other needle's
thread. No twisting or fancy knot tying.
Do some practice stitching on a scrap. Then - move on to your project
without cutting the threads loose from the scrap.
I've sewn a million miles with twin needles making lovely pintucks on
baby stuff. They are wonderful but you just never know what is going to work
until you diddle with it a while. I would explain the moon and tides if I
understood them. Polly

Old February 25th 04, 11:49 PM
Taria

Well Polly, the moon was void of course yesterday so that might explain
the problem. A couple of things about double needles. Make sure
you have the ZZ plate in the machine and make sure the stitch is set
for straight. Those darn needle are way too expensive to break!

Old February 26th 04, 02:32 PM
Patti

Hullo Terri
If it is that your double needle is *not* a Singer, and you need to buy
a Singer, perhaps you could sell your 'new' double needle to someone
else who has another brand of machine - to recoup some of the cost that
way? Or have you a sewing friend who happens to have a birthday coming
up?!
..
In article , dogsnus
writes
BG!
I did buy it from the dealer, but it wasn't specifically
a Singer dealer.
Although, in looking at it just now, the shank looks a bit
shorter than my other needles. Hard to tell without measuring
it though. I wonder if I could tinker around with how deeply
I insert it...

(However,I don't mind at all an excuse to go and have a slice
of that triple fudge cake I made this weekend!)

Thanks, everyone else too, for the suggestions.
I'll try it again, with everything suggested so far, and if
those don't work,well,I'm not sure what I'll do.
Darn things are very expensive!

Terri

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old February 27th 04, 12:27 PM
Roberta Zollner

LOL! But seriously, you might need to sacrifice a few virgin FQs. I will
volunteer to act as your High Priestess, just send them over.
Roberta in D

"dogsnus" wrote in message
Patti wrote in
:

Hullo Terri
If it is that your double needle is *not* a Singer, and you need to buy
a Singer, perhaps you could sell your 'new' double needle to someone
else who has another brand of machine - to recoup some of the cost that
way? Or have you a sewing friend who happens to have a birthday coming
up?!

Update on the double needle problems I'm having...

I played with the shank length, the threading, the thread and the
tension and... it WORKED, on two pieces of fabric.
I then proceeded to test it on my test squilt and the right needle
began skipping again. I consulted the moon and tide charts and saw
that It Was Good, (but that it also wouldn't help me much.)

I then stood on one foot, crossed my eyes,sprinkled a bit of
anti-demon needle dust around the pentagram on the floor I had
drawn with dressmakers chalk ,making sure_ it included the entire
area of my body and_ the machine, diddled around again with the
shank length,the threading,the thread and the tension and....

spoiler below

and...

It still didn't work.

Onto plan Z because,
Tonight, I Quilt, come hell or high water!

Terri

Old February 29th 04, 01:00 AM
Kate Dicey

dogsnus wrote:

Kate Dicey wrote in
:

Sounds like you had the same kind of day that I had with the serger
today!
Using a '2 Hour ' dress pattern... But it sure doesn't warn you about
the 2
and a half hours of fiddling with the machine first! Now it's all set
up,
the seams will take about 10 minutes to sew! GRRR!

I feel your pain!
When you get done, all you can think is, "All that time, spent on
that_ little thing"?

Terri

Yup! Grr again! Still, I got to go and teach my friend in Canterbury
how
to do her blind hem for her bedroom curtains, and to play with (clean,
oil
and get working!) both her mother's hand crank machine and her
grandmothers! There will be pix later...

--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk