Europe quilt shops?

Old September 18th 07, 08:04 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Chris_Signe

Default Europe quilt shops?

Hi,
Thinking about taking a river cruise from Amsterdam to Budapest. We would
be stopping in these following towns. Anyone know of quilt shops to stop
and visit? Ones located near the river would be easiest to access on brief
port stops.
Amsterdam, Netherlands;
Cologne, Rudesheim, Mainz, Wertheim, Wurzburg, Rothenberg, Nurenberg and
Regensburg, Germany;
Passau, Linz, Melk, Durnstein, Vienna, Austria;
Bratislava, Slovakia;
Budapest, Hungary

Old September 18th 07, 11:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Maya[_2_]

Hi,

Here's an answer from a super lurker ;-)

On this map you can find quiltshops in different countries :
http://www.cosman.nl/maps/map_en.php?cn=nl

In Amsterdam you have got two great shops located in the same building:
http://www.birdblocks.com/ and http://www.dutchquilts.com/ .
They are in the old town center and could be easily visited from the
harbour.
Perhaps you can find some shops in Germany from the same map?

--
Greetings from the Netherlands,
Maya

www.scrapbasket.nl (sorry, only in Dutch)

"Chris_Signe" schreef in bericht
. ..

Old September 19th 07, 07:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jack Campin - bogus address

Thinking about taking a river cruise from Amsterdam to Budapest. We would
be stopping in these following towns. Anyone know of quilt shops to stop
and visit? Ones located near the river would be easiest to access on brief
port stops. [...]
Bratislava, Slovakia;

Forget it for buying anything, but it has some ethnographic museums
located quite close to the river on Zizkova street - one devoted to the
Hungarian minority, another to the Carpathian Germans. Should be some
good folk art fabric stuff in there. We were in Bratislava two weeks
ago but those museums close on Tuesdays (weird, unlike anywhere else
in Bratislava or indeed central Europe) so we didn't get in.

Old September 21st 07, 02:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Chris_Signe

Thanks Maya,
This will definitely help in my search. I want that experience of walking
into an unknown shop and taking it all in. Signe

Old September 21st 07, 02:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Chris_Signe

Hi Jack,
Are there no shops in Bratislava, no quality or just too expensive? To a
quilter the buying is not the best part ... it is experiencing the fabric.
Thanks for your reply, Signe

"Jack Campin - bogus address" wrote in message
Thinking about taking a river cruise from Amsterdam to Budapest. We
would
be stopping in these following towns. Anyone know of quilt shops to stop
and visit? Ones located near the river would be easiest to access on
brief
port stops. [...]
Bratislava, Slovakia;

Forget it for buying anything, but it has some ethnographic museums
located quite close to the river on Zizkova street - one devoted to the
Hungarian minority, another to the Carpathian Germans. Should be some
good folk art fabric stuff in there. We were in Bratislava two weeks
ago but those museums close on Tuesdays (weird, unlike anywhere else
in Bratislava or indeed central Europe) so we didn't get in.

============== j-c ====== @ ====== purr . demon . co . uk
==============
Jack Campin: 11 Third St, Newtongrange EH22 4PU, Scotland | tel 0131 660
4760
http://www.purr.demon.co.uk/jack/ for CD-ROMs and free | fax 0870 0554
975
stuff: Scottish music, food intolerance, & Mac logic fonts | mob 07800 739
557

Old September 21st 07, 04:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kim E

There is a "Patchwork" store in Rothenburg. I bought some German
fabric there - it is about 60 inches wide rather than the 44 inches we
are used to. They had a bunch of American fabric, with FAR higher
prices than we pay in the states.

My DH was incredulous that I would buy fabric on our trip. After we
left the Patchwork shop, we went to Kathe Wolfhartt to spend lots of
money on Christmas ornaments

Kim

Old September 21st 07, 04:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jack Campin - bogus address

Thinking about taking a river cruise from Amsterdam to Budapest.
We would be stopping in these following towns. Anyone know of
quilt shops to stop and visit? Ones located near the river would
be easiest to access on brief port stops. [...]
Bratislava, Slovakia;

Forget it for buying anything [...]

Are there no shops in Bratislava, no quality or just too expensive?
To a quilter the buying is not the best part ... it is experiencing
the fabric.

There's very little available, and what there is is mostly nasty
polyester. You could try the folk art shop for some of the blue-
print stuff, but to buy it by the metre or in larger pieces than
a scarf you'd need to try elsewhere, like Brno in Moravia.

Really, there isn't a heck of a lot to do in Bratislava except get
drunk. There are some big French tapestries in the museum in the
castle but I didn't like them very much (the Durer exhibition there
is much more interesting).

I'd bet there is a LOT in Budapest but you'd need to research it
in advance. It isn't an easy place to find your way round unless
you know enough Hungarian to find "fabric shop" in the yellow pages.

If your boat was carrying on down the Danube to Istanbul, there I
*could* be some help. It must have more fabric-related shops than
the whole of Eastern Europe put together and you could spend a
fortune in an afternoon.

Old September 22nd 07, 12:03 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy Ellison Sandy Ellison is offline
Banned

Default Rothenburg o.d.T. Germany Europe quilt shops?

Howdy!

Since I'd looked this up & printed a map before we left home,
we were able to walk to this shop w/in a half hour of getting to
Rothenburg. I have my priorities. g
http://www.patchworkladen.de/
That day the husband was running the shop, introducing some
new quilters to the fabric & patterns, & of course I got in on
the conversation. g It's a wonderful little shop, carried
some German-made cotton quilting fabric (got the history on that
from the store owner's husband [he made it very clear that he
was "just the husband" g]) which had to come home with me,
and it was just so comforting to be over there in the middle of
a "foreign" (to us) country and see something so familiar:
the entry to the shop is inside a short hallway where quilts are
hanging in the box-windows, surrounded by American brand fabrics
& magazines.
Just wish we'd had more time to go quilt shop visiting w/
Roberta in Munich. Next time!

R/Sandy -- who sent a hug & a kiss toward Germany yesterday
after leaving World Market w/ some Nurnberg Lebkuchen
(does not say "Elisen" but ---it's close!)

On 9/21/07 10:19 AM, in article
, "Kim E"

Old September 22nd 07, 04:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Chris_Signe

Thank you so much!! I too have a map in hand. With time so limited on this
trip this will help immensely. Signe

Old September 22nd 07, 09:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta Zollner

You've been to Rothenburg much more recently than I have, and it's almost
sorta just down the road :-)
Just ordered my annual Christmas box from Lebkuchen Schmidt (they have a
website, they ship everywhere). There's a new variety in the catalog,
supposed to be flour-free. All nuts maybe? BIL was just diagnosed with
gluten allergies, so we want to check it out.
You need to come over and see me again!
Roberta in D